“the most beautiful view in samui”
Review of Conrad Koh Samui

Conrad Koh Samui
Ranked #22 of 316 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reviewed 2 December 2011

i stayed in the Conrad as part of a business trip in november and although it is a little bit remote it was worth every minute.

All the private pool villas are of a very good size the entertainment system was the first of its kind in Koh Samui and i enjoyed relaxing in my bath overlooking the ocean with complete privacy.

I had the pleasure of having dinner in the restaurant Jahn and i have never had a better meal.

This restaurant has a head chef that in my opinion could work anywhere in the world and the staff in this hotel could not be more professional.

My stay here was a delight and on leaving at 5am I was handed a lovely packed breakfast to see me on my way.

This hotel is a sanctuary and if you want to get away and not been hassled by day to day life in a magical location you wont get much better than the Conrad.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sam19Glasgow
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear sam19Glasgow,

Our team appreciates your kind comments, and looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Warmest regards

There are newer reviews for Conrad Koh Samui

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Spent our honeymoon here and had a great time. Service was amazing as were the views. Very new,which worked out to have it's positives and negatives,(but very few). I'm sure in a few months, it will be THE place to stay on the island. We were extremely happy with our stay. One word of advice, take advantage of their cooking classes!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jslee241

Dear Jslee241 ,

Thank you very much for providing us your gracious feedback on your recent stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stunning scenery, amazing room. Some of the friendliest staff I have ever encountered at any hotel. Was greeted by everyone everywhere. Private pool villa was sublime, only thing that it was missing was a music channel on the entertainment system which would have been nice.

My main critique is with the prices of local food, 500 baht for fried rice? A bit excessive even for a 5 star resort........location is well off the beaten path, and the sea views are incredible.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Rick S,

Many thanks for sharing your experience at The Conrad Koh Samui and we have noted your comments regarding food prices.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Regards

Reviewed 21 November 2011

That was the weather forecast for our stay at the Conrad Koh Samui in late October. Aside from a few niggles, our stay bordered on perfection. This property even managed to surpass our personal favourite, The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah in the serene paddy fields of Ubud, Bali purely on the basis of service and hospitality. Hotel staff was helpful, professional and intuitive thereby increasing our level of enjoyment substantially. The only reason that this property has been given a 4/5 rating is that I have a tendency to examine reviews with 5/5 score with a bit of suspicion. More accurately, Conrad Koh Samui deserved a 4.5/5, with a 5 easily attainable once it irons out a few minor issues.

Property:
The resort is located in the stunning, remote, southwestern section of Koh Samui and is extremely hilly, as many have mentioned in their reviews. Villas in the 100’s and 200’s are recommended for those with mobility issues, young children or those who’d rather walk than wait around for buggies to ferry them from their villas to the beach, pool or Zest. Those starting from the 300's will be positioned over the hilliest section of the property so only opt for them if you’re looking for a mini workout every time you walk back from Zest (for breakfast) or the main pool. However, Villa 305 and 306 are relatively close to the restaurant and offers a central position to enjoy the stunning view of the Five Islands. Buggy rides are a stimulating affair as they wind precipitously along narrow pathways but provide guests with a panoramic vista of the property.

In-room facilities and amenities:

Bathroom - Guests may wish to bring their own favourite bubble bath as I only found bath salt inside the room. The unique cereal bowl of a bathtub took a bit of time to fill hence water wastage may be an issue from a sustainability standpoint. A second TV is available for those enjoying a long soak in the tub but the reception inside the bathroom was horrendous. Hopefully it was due to minor technical glitch that has not yet been addressed during the resort’s soft launch.

Entertainment – Bringing your personal collection of CDs or an adaptor to plug iPods to the Mac Mini could make the in-room experience more personalized but we relied mostly on accuradio.com for our music. The individual villas provided wireless keyboard to facilitate work but Wifi connection was a little inconsistent at times with the system hanging on numerous occasions.

Water - Drinking water was packaged in reusable glass bottles, which gave us the impression that there is a good attempt at sustainable practices at the resort. Housekeeping generously provides four 0.5L bottles in the morning and at the evening turndown service.

Bed – Although the linens and the additional pillow top mattress pad were luxurious, the actual mattress did very little to stop motion transfer and I was left feeling a little disgruntled at the slightest movement made my partner. A Simmons “Do not disturb mattress” would have been nice touch.

Pool - The temperature of our villa infinity pool, which was perfect day in and day out more than made up for the issue with the bed. The main pool was equally enticing (i.e. warmer) and to our surprise both were saltwater pools. Turning off all the lights one clear night, we went for a dip in our private pool and found that the sky was a blanket of stars.

Breakfast:
Despite the wide selection on offer, all of which were beautifully presented, there was still room for improvement in the palatability of the cooked food choices. JW Marriott and Banyan Tree Phuket offered much tastier nosh but to be fair, that's entirely subjective. The freshly made homemade yoghurt parfait was delicious though as were the smoothies. Fruits from Thailand are typically sweet and so were those offered at breakfast. For some strange reason, there was neither a piece of bacon nor a link of sausage in sight. Perhaps there was a focus on providing guests with healthy food options. The food library is rather innovative and we appreciated their use of reusable glass containers whenever possible.

Transportation:
Airport transfer service provided by the resort was good and the ride, extremely comfortable. Upon our exit from customs, we were unable to locate our driver. Thankfully, the Four Seasons driver was kind enough to direct us to the main gate at which most of the drivers were waiting. A tip for guests having difficulty finding their driver: Ask someone (preferably a uniformed hotel staff) for assistance. Alternatively, if Conrad deems itself on par with the Four Seasons, it may wish to consider posting personnel or at least signage at the first exit to ensure a smooth meet and greet process.

This being our first time to Koh Samui, we chose to rent a car to drive around the island in search of beautiful viewpoints, shopping areas and food (for restaurant suggestions, please refer to my Trip Report in the forum under “The New Conrad Koh Samui” thread soon). The hotel is inaccessible otherwise and I would not attempt to walk down the long, winding, unlit, single lane to the main road. Alternatively, guests can have private transport or taxis arranged by the resort. Due to limited parking spaces, the hotel provides free valet service.

Resort facilities:
Both the gym and the spa were beautifully done up and offered a range of equipment for use. Treadmills are iPod/iPad-integrated so technologically inclined guests will find their normal workout routine a little more enjoyable. A knowledgeable trainer was on hand to recommend exercises to target problem areas. The couple suites at the Spa offered the best view while the rooms used for Thai massages only offered partial view at best. With the floating jetty completed, the resort may wish to study the feasibility of a coral reef rehabilitation project to restore the biodiversity that may have been affected during the construction of the property. This would reaffirm Conrad as a leader in corporate social responsibility and the resort’s dedication to sustainable business practices.

Miscellaneous:

The Azure pool bar and the Glow lounge were nice spots to chill out with a drink in hand especially during sunsets. The implementation of a "Happy Hour" could help to draw in the crowds or entice guests to return earlier to the resort as these areas seemed under-utilized during our stay.

All in all, we had a memorable time at the Conrad Koh Samui. The service was impeccable, the grounds, pristine and the property, breathtaking. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Quintet1975
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is a newly opened resort and I can safely say that it has the potential to become one of THE top 10 resorts in the world - all things considering. I did use my Hilton points in exchange for 3 nights there - and being a Gold member, was accorded a complimentary foot massage and breakfast. There is a special deal now where you can redeem a stay at 40% off the usual number of points required - which is a fantastic deal.

The rooms were amazing, just by observing the structures themselves I can see why it took time to build them and the whole place is an engineering marvel. Infinity pools were by the edge of the cliff and waking up to the sight of the five islands (not sure what they were called) must be one of the most beautiful sights in the world! Interior wise it all looked very modern and uncluttered and about half of the villa was dedicated to the bathroom / toilet. You do have to call for buggies to travel around the place but it wasn't an inconvenience to me, just exercise a bit of patience.

Breakfast is not to be missed - they employ a "food library" concept (the noodles are simply exquisite!) but personally I would skip dining at Jahn for now as the food selection they have is rather limited and you could go for much more affordable Thai food elsewhere, say in Lamai beach (although a car is essential - I would advise hiring a car so that you get the freedom to go where you want). There are just too many local joints in town that are not featured on this website (perhaps since they don't come with an English name?) but do be adventurous and try them out!

We were also fortunate enough to be invited to one of the cocktail events they had for guests at the pre-opening of the hotel and everyone there was friendly with lots of food / drinks to go around! When you choose to stay at this resort, you're choosing to be away from the maddening crowd, so don't complain that the town is about 30KM away - you would want to maximize your time at the villa as well.

I didn't really mind the fact that sometimes people didn't address me by my name, the service was efficient by my (and Samui's) standards - when I had my luggage taken up, it was already in the rental car and ready to go when I went up right after breakfast. My only regret was not being able to attend the official opening of the hotel given my morning flight.

For those that are still thinking - think no more - just go and enjoy yourself and indulge in the experience. I'm a seasoned traveller who has been to many resorts around the world, including those high end ones in Hua Hin and I was still blown away by the Conrad Koh Samui. I'm looking forward to be back someday.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that start with 2 if you want to be near the breakfast area, otherwise there really is...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KirKanos

Dear KirKanos,

Many thanks for sharing your stay experience. I appreciate your kind comments and will share them with my team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards