“Authentic food in a unique setting”
Review of The Boudoir

The Boudoir
Ranked #1 of 1,499 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 January 2016

The restaurant is clearly in a hard-to-find area a couple turns off the main road so get a driver who knows the way (or a detailed enough GPS).

The menus are shown on big chalk boards which sets a casual tone that is there throughout the entire restaurant visit.

We went with children and noticed a lack of dishes suitable for kids so if I ever went back, it would be adult only for sure. We were advised to go for the pasta with chorizo for our daughter and it was a very creamy/cheezy story with meat that appeared to be more like bacon than chorizo. The other dishes were much better!

We had a main dish to share for starter (charcuteries and cheese platter) - top notch! It came with a simple yet very tasty salad too.

For mains we had different version of duck. My duck leg confit was the best. The meat just fell off that duck leg and was so perfectly cooked I could not get enough of it. It came served with a potato gratin which was also very tasty but it was the meat that nailed it.

For dessert we had the chocolate cake and vanilla ice-cream. Unfortunately they arrived at different times so we had finished the chocolate cake before the vanilla ice-cream came (I would have loved to try them together which was our sharing idea).

The owners work at the restaurant and are very nice. Advices are offered and the wife even walked us out into the parking lot afterwards to make sure our taxi driver would not over-charge us going back to our hotel. Much appreciated personal service you don't get in many places nowadays.

The restaurant's look is something else. Very rustic, full of weird lights/lamps (is it christmas all year around here?). Lots of colour and a couple of tacky musicians painted on the wall of the house which somehow just help make the place feel even more authentic.

Most seating offered is outdoors and there are mosquitos. I was bitten in 3-4 places but as you may know, the Ko Samui mosquitos' bites fade very quickly (not like the ones we have in Sweden...). One-two hours and they are a faint memory. Still it was somewhat irritating while at the restaurant and they could have done something to limit the number of mosquitos in my opinion. There were no mosquito repellent burners or anything else in place as far as I noticed.

There is no view but the place somehow still makes for a great setting for a romantic dinner. I recommend the place for its food, authentic feel and great service. No need to dress up, come as you are.

Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

Exceptional food, excellent service, great atmosphere. Not a French food fan in general but had on of my best meals in Thailand here. Need to make reservation

Reviewed 8 January 2016 via mobile

Great atmosphere ... Very friendly and hospitable husband and wife who clearly love what they do and are very passionate about their restaurant.

We visited with our 4 teenagers and all enjoyed thoroughly.

A must stop if you're visiting the island.

Make reservations in advance, as with any top rated restaurant it's fully booked every day.

Cheers!!

1  Thank JDLeiskau
Reviewed 8 January 2016 via mobile

We luckily got a reservation and what a treat! It's obvious the food is created with true passion and love by the wonderful owners. The presentation of the dishes and taste explosions they served were incredibly impressive and better than many five star restaurants we have dined at around the world. This gem is worthy of finding even if you are not staying in the near vicinity on the island. Truly excellent with all the charm you can imagine!

1  Thank Kara G
Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

We are doing a few weeks around thailand as a couple, and during our stay in koh samui we consulted trip advisor for restaurant recommendations as I love my food. As the number 1 recommendation, we made a reservation and paid a visit to The Boudoir, and we weren't put wrong.

The restaurant itself is really well decorated, eclectic and colourful, which lends to the ambience, set in what seems like the middle of the jungle. The food, which is what you're actually going to a restaurant for is fantastic. The French owners who seem to do the serving and work in the kitchen couldn't have been more attentive and really care that you're having a good time.

We had the goats cheese and figs to share for starters, which was served with the cheese warm and melting, and the figs as a jam on top, with a side balsamic salad and some warm french bread, which was delicious. Thinking of it now, I want to be eating it again...

For mains, my boyfriend had the rare steak in a creamy cognac sauce with a side of gratin potatoes. I had the duck in honey which was great too, but I preferred his so suffered from food envy.

We had 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine and the bill came to just over 2000 baht, which was great value for the quality and quantity of food you're given. The chef brought out and assortorie of amuse bouche before our starters which really whetted our appetite, and a sliver of some fried aubergine at one point which was also yum. To top it off we were given a complimentary digestive of a home made shot of something involving caramel which was really well received as we were so stuffed!

Can't recommend enough. Wish The Boudoir was in Ireland so we could visit again without having to take a few planes to thailand!