“Fun day!”

Chiangmai Elephant Sanctuary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We did a half day tour which was plenty long enough. We fed the elephants, then gave them a mud bath and then took them to the river to bath them which was the best bit. The lunch was good and they had plenty of free water. I thought the day was good value. We were with another family and the children really enjoyed it too. The elephants seemed happy and well cared for and had plenty of space.
There were a few downsides though:
-really windy and bumpy journey in back of van sitting sideways made is car sick (make sure you have a full stomach before you go!)
-there were only 4 elephants i guess some places probably have more
-our guide seemed a bit too playful with the women - trying to have a water fight and ket saying ‘ do sexy leg’ for photos which made us and others quite uncomfortable

Overall though i would recommend!

2  Thank Jane B
"first hand"
"two hours"
"their lives"

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was a fun day! We booked the full day with trekking, bamboo raft ride, and of course elephant fun.
We started with the bamboo raft ride which I wish we would have done after playing with the elephants but it was really peaceful and beautiful.
Then it was off to see the main attraction: elephants! We got to feed, mud bath, and rinse off the elephants. There are only 4 female elephants at this small sanctuary, but they seem to live a happy live where they are fed and they are not enclosed. They roam freely in the jungle as they please. The staff is a lot of `fun one guy, Ramon I think was his name, will make you laugh all day! He kept shouting "welcome to jungle" and had a contagious laugh.you ride up in one of the converted back of the truck bed cars and it was making us all nauseous, I had taken Dramamine before but that wasn't enough so be warned if you get car sick easy like I do! Overall great day, amazing once and a lifetime experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

An awesome experience. The elephants were really well treated and had free roam of the sanctuary. The elephants are happy to be around the volunteers. Our guide Lucy was amazing. We really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Tony, Tommy and the group were a lot of fun! The experience was amazing, like they said - no dirty no fun! I'm thankful for the experience with these beautiful animals, the place is lovely. Waterfall was majestic and this adventure was a truly wonderful experience I would recommend. Please never pick a place that has the elephants paint or give rides, this venue made me feel good about their treatment and I am totally confident they understand and love these elephants. Awesome place with excellent people. If you are looking for a true sanctuary however elephants wouldn't be interacted with by humans at all. The situation is tricky with the elephants in captivity in general and I understand although it's not natural to be in small herd there's only so much you can do.

See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

This was not the same as elephant jungle sanctuary, even though I booked through their website directly. I assumed I ended up with this tour because I clicked the 5% discount with PayPal.

I wasn’t too impressed with it at all. Was pretty upset at the end of it. One of the staff thought it was funny to dunk me into the mud bath and proceeded to throw mud at my face, along with dried elephant turd. I was annoyed that they even thought that was appropriate.

They did not explain to us any details of the elephant so I don’t know if ethically the elephants are handled well. I enjoyed the little bonding time we did have with the elephants during the banana feeding.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member