“Checked off my bucket list--what an experience”

Patara Elephant Farm - Private Tours
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Checked off my bucket list--what an experience”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was an experience you would not ever forget. Elephant for a day is true in every sense.

You get to know your own elephant and those who care for them very day.

I will never complain about washing car as work--after washing en elephant in the creek with the deeper pool areas-- the brush is not big but gets the work done.

The care and feeding was fun as they do love their food--lots of it.

One fun highlight was swimming with elephants at a water fall area with deep pools of water--even the bay elephants got involved.

This is a must do.

• Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Chang , Chang , Chang !”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

A must see whilst you are in Chang Mai . This place embodies the spirit of these kind people and there love and respect for this most revered of all animals in Thailand . Our guide 'SomLek' was very informative and was keen to let us get close to the animals in a safe environment . We would like to visit this place again one day .

San Francisco
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Amazing, Once In a Lifetime Experience”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a working farm that happens to have elephants, not an elephant camp, which makes it unique in much of Thailand. We were each given an elephant who we took care of with the help of a very helpful guide. We checked the elephant's health then cleaned and bathed them. Then we rode the elephants to a lunch picnic spot by a river.

At the picnic, the food was great and then you get feed your elephant the left overs. After that we swam with an elephant in a river for a bit before riding back. This one day alone was worth flying half way around the world for. You will really get to know your elephant. One thing to be aware of - you ride bare back on the elephant's neck and shoulders, which gets really hard on the hips and knees. Older guests may have difficulty with this aspect. That is the one caveat to what is otherwise a must-do if you're in Chiang Mai. Do remember to bring cash to pay though, as we didn't see them take credit cards.

2 Thank 451MSH
Houston, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience with the elephants, but....”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

not so much with the mahouts.

I felt somewhat reluctant to book an elephant experience while in Chiang Mai, but chose Patara after reading all the positive reviews. Interacting with the elephants was a wonderful experience, they are truly amazing creatures. The mahouts definitely carry bull hooks (or the like) and the elephants are definitely afraid of them. If you should happen to witness a mahout doing something that obviously makes the elephant feel scared your attention is quickly diverted away. I understand these are domesticated elephants and all that comes along with that so I'm somewhat torn on how I feel about the overall experience.

Also, the riding of the elephant can be somewhat of a hair raising adventure so be prepared for that. It was my experience and the experience of those I was with that the mahouts speak very little English which makes communication difficult and can strain things a little.

Overall, I'd say do your research carefully and decide what is right for you. Overall, I am glad I got to interact with my elephant and the mothers and babies they have on the property now. The whole atmosphere around elephants is so politically charged in Thailand right now that dotting all your i's so you don't end up disappointed is a very good idea.

15 Thank 007trader
Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Elephants,elephants,elephants”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I felt the trip to Patara was the highlight of our visit to Chiang Mai. The owner Pat is doing a superb job of building up the Thai elephant population....5 babies expected this year! Don't go expecting a short ride along a nice flat jungle trail in a comfortable seat on an elephant, this experience is genuine hands on and the riding is challenging and quite difficult but worth a shot. Most visitors on the day we went were young (20s or 30s) but only one couple out of 20 people managed the whole ride without getting off. Don't let that put you off. We are in our 60s and did as much riding as we wanted and fully participated in the rest of the day, feeding, fussing and bathing the elephants. We loved it and I would urge anybody who loves animals and/or wants to do their bit to help the environment in a practical way to support Pat and his family and visit Patara.

1 Thank Andrew B