See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 February 2017

After having a heavy brunch and walking parts of the old city visiting some Wats and Museum we were too tired to have lunch and headed back to our hotel at Ban Chang Tong (opposite Wat Bhupparam).

Now that I was well rested, I was hungry and decided to walk around the shop houses along Tha Phae Road. I decided to walk towards the old city (east gate) and get some water & snacks when I saw that the cafe which is at the main entrance of the hostel with photo's of food.

Game for sandwich I sat down and ordered a club sandwich with fries and a soda, as I wanted something light as not to ruin my appetite for dinner. The place is pretty cozy for a hostel (I understand from the staff the hostel rooms were mostly upstairs and came with bunks)

The food was okay. Not much one can expect of simple club sandwich. But it was cooked fresh so I would rate is as good though nothing spectacular. The staff there seemed friendly though busy rotating as the hotel staff and staff that helped with tours like adventures in the jungle to visiting the popular Wats on the outskirt of the city.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Clean and cosy hostel with friendly and welcoming staff, who also help in booking activities in the CM region. Dorms have AC, lockers for belongings and electric sockets.
I doubt you can find a better deal in central CM, 200THB including breakfast.
Tip: by booking on the spot you save 40tbh

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I had the most AMAZING time here at Thapae Hostel. By this, I mean the kindness of the people working here.
The hostel itself is cool, nice decor, normal bunkbeds, good wifi, nice communal place which was very much enjoyed with other bagpackers. You get brekkie which always smelt great and it's lovely and spacious. Always clean.
Now, the workers, :D :D :D :D were such a joy! They were always so full of fun and life.
I had an experience where I was sick, quite sick actually and needed to go to hospital. Given I had barely the energy to walk.. the staff personally choferred me to the hospital. They brought me in their jeep across town ( we coud hardly communicate ). The lady stayed with me like a mother at the hospital until I was seen by a doctor. I'm 20 years old so this was just amazing. Service in Chaing Mai Ram hospital was incredible aswell.
The story gets more incredible... I ended up losing my visa card and was unable to pay for my medication.
Later that evening in the hostel, the staff rushed up to me and said that the hospital has called the owner expressing the urgency that I get the antibiotics, and that he was going to bring me to the hospital and take care of the payment.
This was a sizable medical fee. I was brought downstairs and this lovely gentle 60-70 year old man came in a nice car and brought me to the hospital, accompanied by a girl from the staff. I was treated like a princess. He said he has responsibilities..
I experienced true love and generosity when I absolutely needed it most. Cannot recommend enough spending time in these people's care!
Thank you Thapae Bagpacker's Hostel, you are a very special group of people <3 <3 <3

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

Worst hostel i've ever been. Really dirty. You expect a lot of other backpackers because of the name, but there are only dirty old men. I had the girlsroom with 6 beds for myself but after checking the beds i had to ask New sheets because they all looked like they havent been changed for a month. Slept all night with the lights on because i really didnt feel save.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

I had the best time at this TBH after moving from another hostel. The beds are huge and comfortable, there is a totally social vibe going on, and it's kept quite clean throughout the day. I was there during the Loy Kratong Festival which meant it was packed and quite rowdy, but I don't think it's like that during the rest of the year, quite circumstantial.

The one thing I do want to mention though is the staff! They are seriously the best hostel staff I've had. They were so accommodating with everything, always joking around and smiling. I got sick while there so one staff member (kicking myself because I can't remember her name) went to the market to buy me some ginger soup and was pretty much my mom, making sure I was feeling okay. Totally wonderful hospitality. When I come back to Chiang Mai, I will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo