All reviews tapae gate princess suite night market small gym egg station rooms are comfortable old town bottled water moat laundry doorman kilo
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I didn't expect a 5-star hotel, but $500 for 5 nights, they should have better facilities ready for the high season. First, the safe box doesn't work. I called several times and talked to the front desk. Every time the answer was the same, that they would have someone come and fix it. This someone never came. I was seriously concerned about hiding my valuables. Second, the gym equipments were so old and malfunctioned that I worried that it might hurt people. The buttons on treadmill were half lost, although it could run.

I was pleased by their service. They cleaned my room swiftly when I worked out or went for a massage. Their spa was well furnished and I had a great professional massage here.

Overall, my stay was not bad. I wish they could upgrade the facilities in the future.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2016

Hotel with large restaurant is located on the the East side of the moat within walking distance of many sights, conveniences, coffee shops and eateries. Omelet maker was a gem. Many choices in their breakfast buffet for our group

Room tip: REquest away from the main road
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank aladdin_mp
Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

As per all the other reviews I am in agreement.

Pros - Location, Price

Im gonna focus on these 2. I paid less than 2500bht per night which is not bad value for the season and central CM.
Step out and you are within walking distance of most things.

But inside, rooms are outdated and need refurbishment. Toilet had continually running water sound, aircon sounded like the Sons of Anarchy were parked in it, impossibly noisy and uncontrollable.
Bed was ok.
100bht for a room service bottle of water is ridiculous though. Especially at 10 bht a bottle anywhere else.
Staff were ok, not great. Have you noticed.. No one smiles in Thailand anymore.. Its a real shame.
I didn't even attempt breakfast in the hotel, far too many nice places to discover on Trip Advisor for breakfast.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

I spent a few nights here with part of a fundraising trekking group before we left the city.
I felt that the one thing going for it was the good location right in the centre of the city opposite the Old Town walls. Very conveniently positioned.
After that I really couldn't find anything to like about it. The decor was dated and when you looked around the lobby there were piles of 'stuff' stored, odd displays of manaquines and other rather odd things spread around that made it look messy and uncared for.
The reception staff have taken some criticism in other reviews and I would agree, they were not helpful and didn't even try to be. I was sharing a twin room with one other member of our group, on arrival at this dull, dingy rather beaten up room the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke hit us like a ton truck as the door was opened. It was chokingly strong and I wanted to move to another room but the porter just passed it off, opened all the windows wide and told us it would go. Yes probably in a week or two but meanwhile the entire population of mosquitoes had flown in !
The room was just horrid, the bed as hard as the road outside, the pillows would be fine for the giraffe neck woman of Africa but unless you wanted to wake up with your neck bent to one side there was no way you could sleep on them.
Breakfast was quite disgusting, sorry but I found hot food cold, tasteless and extremely uninteresting. Lots of full on cooked food, soups, rice and noodle dishes etc but for an English pallet there really wasn't a lot. Fresh fruit was good but that's pretty easy to provide and not mess up. The hot water provided for the tea had been put in a pot previously used for coffee...that's a massive no for a tea drinker.
It wasn't that much less expensive than the previous hotel I stayed in in the City but was a mile away in terms of standards and quality.
I couldn't recommend this hotel unless you really don't mind accepting second best, poor service and lack lustre surroundings. There is so much choice in this city you don't need to compromise. Sorry The Amora but you have work to do.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Nice rooms, great swimming pool, spacious lobby. Very pleasant stay. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. The breakfast at the hotel is very good, lots of choice ranging from lovely fresh fruit to proper meals.

Date of stay: October 2016