“Superb. Above and beyond what you would ever expect in this price range.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours

Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours
Ranked #2 of 700 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Superb. Above and beyond what you would ever expect in this price range.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

In short, do not hesitate to stay here. It was a highlight of our trip thanks to the owners, the staff, the rooms, the location and the price! You will not get this type of service on top of everything else ever again in your life! This is deservedly a top spot and I am so glad we stayed here during our 4 days in Chiang Mai. Absolutely great. If you want to know more about why it was so great, keep reading!

From booking through to departure David, Nuy and the staff were just amazing. By email, they processed my reservation fast and proceeded to offer great advice on what to see and do in Chiang Mai. They had us picked up from the airport and on arrival we couldn't believe the size of our room! The space isn't wasted though, you get a nice queen/king bed and maybe a queen single/double too, TV, balcony, sofa, and tables so the space is well used and is honestly amazing for the price. Rooms were impeccably clean and cleaned daily. The bathroom is also clean, large, stocked with soaps and shampoos and also smelled great for some reason! Bathrooms are often the sore point when travelling, but not here. Great sizeable swivel mirror on the wall, plenty of space for your things and a good strong, hot shower. Couldn't ask for more.
It got better though, once we'd settled in and came downstairs David sat down and showed us where we were on a great map he gave us. Gave us some eating suggestions and also shopping suggestions. He's a very friendly, funny guy, but not in your face like some people can be, just the perfect balance of jovial and helpful host. We went to all of his recommendations and they were spot on. Good food, good shopping and good places to see. We rented a scooter from them too, which was such a bargain we took it for a full 3 days in the end. It was new, well maintained and they provided decent helmets as opposed to the bicycle helmets and tin hats you get from some. He offered some ideas about where to go off the beaten track and we took the bike right into the mountains to some hill tribes, waterfalls, temples and even a coffee plantation! It was a great journey we never would have been told about had David not taken the time to sit down and plan it for us. He's a legend.
Nui makes a mean breakfast and it's done really fast too! The advantage of staying here is that there are not that many guest rooms so you really do get great service all round.
On our final night, David and Nui invited us to a Chiang Mai F.C. game of football and it was another great experience, Nui got everything organised very easily and we had a really great time for only 40 baht per person! I can't say enough good things about these too, they really are great hosts.
I had a few unusual requests as well, including getting some difficult sewing done, but whilst we were out, David and Nui had contacted a friend to see if they could get it done, they even WENT there to see if they could do it. They couldn't unfortunately, but the fact that they went so far out of their way to do this was just great. I've never had such treatment before at a hotel except maybe once in Cambodia, but never by the owners.

We were on a 3 week holiday, staying in all manner of accommodations ranging from $300 down to $10 a night and honestly, staying here makes me want to re-evaluate spending so much money on hotels because the experiences and memories made staying at places like Funky Monkey show that good travel is not about how much you pay but how much your hosts care about you and your holiday. This place is doing it all right. I sincerely hope to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which without Air Con however the fans in the room were plenty strong and the ba...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank spaicecowboi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Ballynahinch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the guesthouse next door to Funky Monkey, which apparently, David & Nuy rent out from her aunt. I found David to be really helpful and did way beyond what would be expected of an owner. Nuy, however, was a different kettle of fish. As another reviewer recently commented, she made me feel as if I was a nuisance, particularly when I asked for a meal. Several times she was in a "strop" and definitely wasnt "keeping face", as most Thai people do.
When I decided to leave early ( I stayed for 46 nights and paid the full daily rate), she threw another strop and completely cold shouldered me for the rest of my stay. My room, on several occasions after that, was also only cleaned every fourth day, instead of the agreed, every third day. There are many dozens of guesthouses in Chiang Mai that offer cheap rooms AND, great customer service. Sadly, this was not the case here - maybe she takes guests for granted, because of their high rating on Trip Advisor. If she continues with her unprofessional behaviour, people will start to go elsewhere. Wouldnt recommend a friend to stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Tricia063
funkymonkeyChiangmai, Owner at Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Tricia, had booked at our neighbours guesthouse for an agreed 2 month & 1 week period - so we rented an extra room next door in order to Accomodate her at an agreed nightly rate 450b per night. Infact Tricia stayed for a shorter period ( approx 6 weeks )than she had booked for having altered the booking twice.

The neighbours room ( we had agreed to clean every 3rd day ) IT WAS CLEANED EVERY 3rd Day as agreed.

Our own 3 rooms at Funky Monkey are cleaned every 2nd day.

Tricia even had several nights free accomodation out of the 46 nights as she left Chiang Mai for a short break - we didnt charge for the room even though it had been booked.

. Somepeople like to look for negatives ( its their nature & others like to be open minded and prefer to see the positives).

We aspire to help every customer in every way possible as is reflected in the vast majority of reviews posted.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We enjoyed out stay at Funky Monkey. Really friendly owners who live on sight, good location, awesome hot water and huge rooms that were really comfy. Would highly recommend! But all rooms require a trek up alot of stairs - keep that in mind if you have limited mobility!

• Stayed January 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for 4x nights in January and it was perfect. David and Nuy were very welcoming and offered lots of advice about where to go, things to do, places to eat, etc. The room was huge, and very clean and the location was perfect, able to walk to the markets, restaurants, around the centre and temples, etc.

All trips were arranged easily, David highly recommended the Elephant Park Home - which was amazing and he even helped out when I needed to buy bus tickets to Chiang Rai.

I would definitely stay here again if I was to return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I cannot rate this place highly enough, and would recommend it to all:

Highlights:
1. The Price - It really is value for money. I had to move to another hotel for my last 2 nights as Funky Monkey was already booked up. I paid twice the price and it was nowhere near as lovely as Funky Monkey.

2. The location - Within walking distance of the night market and sunday market, but not in the thick of it so you will still get a good nights sleep. It is also within walking distance of some really good food stalls (in the opposite direction to the night market). but I will let David fill you in on that, best not to give away all his secrets. there are also loads of shops around, 7 Eleven, Pharmacy, Tescos and plenty of places across the road to have massages at a good price.

3. The Room - Spotless, massive (more like an apartment than a room), hot shower, decent AC.

4. The hosts - I felt more like I was going to stay with family than in a small guesthouse. I was travelling to Chiang Mai solo and as a female ,was worried as my flight was due to arrive late. David and Nuy arranged a taxi for me which brought me to guesthouse, and they stayed up to provide me with a warm welcome and a map with a few of the major landmarks (even though my flight was late so I didnt arrive until 10:45 at night)

5. The Food - if you cant be bothered to go for a short stroll, then Nuy is a great cook, I had 2 delicious dinners there and 2 breakfasts (even though the other hotel I stayed in provided a breakfast) and the menu is very competitively priced (with massive portions)

6. The dogs - I kid you not, I am not an animal lover, but I miss Fat Dog and Mutley.

Lowlights:
None - I just wish I had more time in Chiang Mai, next time I am back there, I will definitely be staying at Funky Monkey.

Thanks David and Nuy for making my introduction to Chiang Mai so memorable