“Tourist Trap” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Riverside
Ranked #108 of 2,014 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Price range: USD 5 - USD 15
Cuisines: Bar, Asian, Thai, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Denmark
“Tourist Trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

If you like microwave food this is the place for you. Our three dishes arrived 2 mins after ordering even though the restaurant was full and busy. Before ordering we asked the waiter about how the pork ribs was made and he said microwave which confirm our anticipations (we did not chose that dish of course). The food was not authentic and was aimed at tourists. You'll find better places to eat in Chiang Mai. The atmosphere and the surroundings of the place was excellent (five in ratings) and so was the live band but this is a restaurant review. You might be better of eating somewhere else and head for a cocktail and music at the Riverside later on.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

• Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
“A Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We had a bit of a mixed meal here. The starters were ace, I had chicken Satay which was really nice and massive portions and my boyfriend had garlic bread. For my main I had chicken in garlic and pepper sauce - the flavour was mainly garlic, couldn't taste any pepper. The flavours weren't strong at all and I ended up dipping my chicken in my boyfriends peppercorn sauce which he had with his steak just to get some flavour to my chicken. We had tiramasu and chocolate mousse for pudding - both arrived frozen. My boyfriend enjoyed his once it had thawed a bit, but the chocolate mousse wasn't overly great. The setting was really nice, we had pre booked a table and had one outside by the edge of the river. Although it got really windy and felt like it was going to rain so I asked if we could move inside instead as I hate sitting in the wind, but no one ever came back to us with a response and it was really hard to get the attention of any of the staff. In the end the wind died down and we stuck it out, luckily it only started raining as we were paying the bill - then it totally poured! Given the cost of the meal compared to the quality, it wasn't good value for money. I wouldn't go back here again and wouldn't go out of my way to rceommend it. I think it's resting on the fact that people do recommend it and people like the setting of being on the river so it still gets plenty of business without having amazing food.

• Visited January 2012
Paphos
“Close to Puripunn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Close to hotel with good range of foods both Thai and International. Good value

Visited January 2012
Iloilo City, Iloilo City, Philippines
“Great music and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

My friends and I went out here for some drinks and sat right down by the river. We were still able to hear the live band and had a great time!
Everyone there seemed to be enjoying themselves! It made for a great evening !!
We didn't eat any food but it looked good!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New Zealand
“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We selected this restaurant based on reviews and recommendations we had received and unfortunately this restaurant did not live up to any of these.

We ate across the road at the Riverside by the Waterfall. The place was very busy and the staff were actually running around the restaurant giving the impression of being very frantic.

The Cons
It took over 20 mins to have our drinks order taken after sitting down,
the mains were delivered to the table before the appetizers,
we ate off chipped plates
the food was ok

The Pros
A large menu with both western and thai options so it should suit everyone
The pina coladas were excellent
The view is lovely

I would not return here to eat because we found better options elsewhere.

• Visited January 2012