“One day to Chiang Rai and Mekong River”

Curious Gecko Tours
Ranked #204 of 346 Tours in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Curious Gecko is an elephant friendly and eco concious tour operator offering tours in Chiang Mai and throughout the north of Thailand
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I booked a private one day Curious Gecko Chiang Rai tour for myself and my family through their parent company Blugecko. Even though I did not want to visit elephants I choose this company on the basis of their elephant policy and so far good reviews on here (Tripadvisor). I think any company which doesn’t offer trips which are harmful to the welfare of elephants should be supported. We were short on time so we choose their one day program. They fit a lot into it and it is a long day with a long drive up to the Golden Triangle (but I guess this is the price you pay if you want to see these sights in a day) With hindsight choosing the two day program would have been better and would have reduced the amount of time we spent traveling in a single day. The highlight of our days was taking the boat on the Mekong River, visiting The White Temple and visiting the friendly long neck people. The guide Nana was exceptionally friendly and great with the kids. The driver Thur was always careful and had the minibus cooled for us on our return from the sightseeing. Aor the staff at the office who answered all my emails was patient and customized the tour for us. If we come back to Chiang Mai we will definitely use Curious Gecko again and request Nana for our guide.

Date of experience: March 2018
"guide"
in 5 reviews
"elephants"

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I had such a lovely personal day trip with my guide, Kwan. She was informative, and this tour covered so much in one day. I love the stress on ethical travels. I would definitely book another fun-filled tour with this company. Visit my blog for the full day trip review.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Booked a one day private trip with Curious Gecko and spent a lovely morning feeding and bathing elephants in the river as part of a one day trekking programme. We booked here as Curious Gecko offer elephant friendly tours where the elephants are not ridden or made to perform at shows. Would highly recommend these guys. We booked at their office in Chiang Mai, it is easy to find at one of the main city gates.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 14 June 2017

We had a half day to fill in Chiang Mai on the last day of our stay. We had already booked various activities online and done the 2 day Elephant Program at the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and an ATV trip with 8 Adventures. But on our final day we wanted a tour with a cultural slant so we could learn more about Chiang Mai and see some of its beautiful temples. We contacted Curious Gecko a couple of weeks in advance to arrange a private tour. They proposed one of their set itineraries which included alms giving to the monks and a visit to Doi Suthep. The staff (Matt) who we corresponded with in advances exceptionally helpful and informative and answered all questions and was prepared to adapt the itinerary to suit our time scale (as we had a flight to catch in the afternoon). Although they can run this tour with a comfortable minibus we decided on the "local transport" option where you will get around the city using auk tug and the red trucks which we felt was far more exciting then being sealed in an air-conditioned car! we would like to especially mention the guide Kwan who took care of us for the morning. we hope to be back in Chiang Mai soon and will be using Curious Gecko again and will be requisition Kwan as our guide.

Date of experience: June 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Curious Gecko doesn't allow riding elephants, we were looking for a one day trekking trip in Chiang Mai with elephants but we did not want to ride them, we were also looking for a private tour just for our group of 4. We drove about 1 hour in a comfortable minibus up into the hills then we had to transfer to a pick up for a ride down a rough trail to the small stream where the elephants lived. We spent around 2 hours with the elephants and the elephants looked happy and we could feed them give them a mud bath then wash it all off in the river. We then embarked on the trek which was not too long but enough for our group, part of the trek went through the forest and rice paddies we ended up at a waterfall where we hoped we could take a swim but on this day the guide explained that there was a lot of rainfall overnight and swimming was not recommended that day for safety reasons. We also visited a Karen tribe and finished the day with bamboo rafting (must bring a swim suit as we all got very wet)

Kwan the guide was excellent, she was very informative of Chiang Mai and the area we visited and more importantly was a warm sweet person who all our group loved.

Lunch was a little basic but filling (I guess you cannot expect too many luxuries out in the hills here)

We booked the tour through an agent in Chiang Mai, The agents are called Blugecko and specialize in elephant ethical trips the company who operated this tour are called Curious Gecko. I think they are the same company.

Overall we all enjoyed our time with Kwan and would not hesitate in recommending this company especially if you want a good elephant experience without the riding.

Date of experience: August 2016