“You can get your certificate of Thai massage here or just get a massage” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wat Pho Thai Traditional Massage School

Wat Pho Thai Traditional Massage School
Ranked #7 of 419 Spas & Wellness in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“You can get your certificate of Thai massage here or just get a massage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

You can go here to get a massage or learn how to massage. A typical course will run 30 hours, but if you arrange it with the school, you can do five six-hour days to get your basic certificate of Thai massage. When I got my certificate years ago, it was 7000 baht for foreigners. I did not inquire about the price the last time I was there. The air con was not as cool as I would have liked it to be when I was learning Thai massage. I also found the teaching area to be a bit crowded but still reasonable.

The people giving the massages are the students who are studying beyond just the basic certificate. This style of massage tends to be different than the massage shops you find around Bangkok and you thankfully don't need to worry about being offered special services beyond just a regular masage.

Visited January 2012

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A real massage!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Great place for a massage that doesn't need a happy ending.

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fun relaxation...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is the perfect way to cap a visit to the gorgeous Wat Pho temple. The full body massages can be a bit "rigourous" for many people, but the foot/leg massage is a perfect respite from touring. After 2 weeks of traveling, it was a wonderful and welcome treat for my travel wary feet and legs. If I hadn't been pressed for time, I would have had a second massage.

Visited July 2011
Bern, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hard work in your holidays ;-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We had already done a Thai Massage Course in 2007 and now we added the Foot Massage Course. It's fun to learn something useful in a very traditional surrounding next to Wat Pho Temple with people from all over the world. It takes you 5 days (9-12, 13-16) and you have to pass an official exam - but hey, you're proud of the effort and your brain will be grateful for some new stimulation, not to speak of your family and friends at home!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank avanoa
Breckenridge, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Painful, walked out limping”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I got a one hour massage. It looked busy when I walked in and got a number. I was with a couple friends who didn't want to get a massage. I asked them how long and I thought they said one hour. I went out to tell my friends how long, and we thought we would go look at the temple and come back. I went back in and suddenly they were calling my number. I was pulled to a changing room and put on Thai pants for my massage. I got back out and my friend waved at my from the lobby. The massage started abruptly. No questions asked about contraindications, or areas to focus on. After about 5 minutes the pressure was too much for me, and I told her it was too hard. She said yes it is deep, relax. I thought maybe it was lost in translation, so I asked a couple other ways, to lighten the pressure, less hard, but each time she just told me to "relax". I am a massage therapist, and I could feel my muscles tighten up all around where she was working. Completely the opposite of what I wanted! Afterwards I feel as if I had been stabbed with a broomstick, with my lower back having a knot that wasn't there before the massage. Maybe I just got a bad student, but I wasn't satisfied with my massage to say the least!

Visited April 2012