“Stop whining - this hotel is great value for money!”

The Grand Ayudhaya Hotel Bangkok
The Grand Ayudhaya Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #788 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Gold Coast
“Stop whining - this hotel is great value for money!”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Grand Ayudhaya Hotel, Bangkok twice in 2007. Since then a friend with his family and another family travelling with them also stayed there, as they were wanting a good value for money accommodation. Rooms were very large and suitably appointed, but agree the building and was a bit tired... though clearly it was very grand in its day. Yet it was still clean and comfortable. The meals in the dining room were excellent. There was a station conveniently up the road only a brief walk away, which was only a few minutes away from the main tourist centres (and at a cost of about AU$1.00). Not being smack-bang in the middle of the 'hustle & bustle' was fine with us. I would definitely stay again... and am currently trying to get in contact with the hotel... possibly the current floods have affected their communications. We have travelled extensively around the planet, and feel that to complain about this hotel is being a spoiled whiner, who expects everything for nothing... if you want the Hilton, go elsewhere... and pay the price... just stop 'bagging', and put your hand in your own pocket!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BradCl

Families
  • Indonesian first
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I last stayed in The Grand in 2003. It was Grand, with a capital "G". I was having a 36 hour stopover in BKK on 8th-9th May 2010 and decided to stay there again - at least partly because it was well out of the way of the res shirt protests.

What a mistake to make.

Grubby rooms, stained carpets and a musty smell.

Staff were discrete to the point of invisibility. I had to stand and shout "Hello" loudly for several minutes when I tried to check out.

The breakfast was lousy. Not even orange juice was provided. Chilled water for drinking along with hot water & teabags or an unlabelled jar of instant coffee. A few miserable slivers of fruit sat around a side table and ham and sausages, of indeterminate age and looking rather tired, was about it.

I ate out (the public spaces in the hotel were empty). I went down to my favourite spots on the Sukhumvit Road (around Sois 11-14). It was a bit quiet alright - but it is low season in BKK.

Would I recommend the "Grand". No. Avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank NED541287

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

London
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This hotel once probably had a glorious age- coinciding with the days when the Beegees and Cinzano were at that peak. Glorious entrance foyer, with a somewhat damp smell but it masks the past-its-prime ambience that pervades the rest of the hotel.The hotel apparently has 600 rooms and had 70 book. The room we were given had not been used for at least five years given the layer of dust and the out of date drinks in the fridge. When we cheekily asked for an upgrade, the staff bent over backwards to help us and we were given an extra big room, very pleasantly furnished and the bathroom was superb. It still lacked the finishing touches though. The location wasn't bad but needs a metro into the centre. Taxi drivers are more likely to know the Swisshotel next door if you need to give directions. If you need a quiet room ask for one facing the swimming pool- which probably can't be used unless you've got a divers suit and breathing apparatus given the odd colour of the water. Was able to have drink at the bar at an ungodly hour. The people at the hotel just about make it worthwhile at a price which is fairly cheap.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank jasonowsky
Ferntree Gully, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Well...
When we checked in we thought things may not be so good.
Our room was very dirty, the nonsmoking floor reeked of smoke,
our early morning call was not recorded. lucky we had to change it or we wouldn't have known,
After a sleepless night., dirty bed, cigarette smoke etc. , we checked out at 5 AM, asked reception to have our bags brought down for our 5.30 depature to airport and went for breakfast.
We went to the wrong restaurant , they have 2 breakfast buffets one starts at 5am and the other 6am.
Not knowing this , and seeing they wern't set up yet I went to find some staff and my husband went the other way to look at the food. There on the table with the bread set out for toast sat the FATTEST RAT he had ever seen. It got a fright to see Lee and took off into the kitchen.
We were then told to go to the other restaurant , which was not set up either, one look around and I could not eat there either, everything was filthy!!!
So off we went to get our bags and catch the taxi,,,,,so where are our bags????
Reception " Did you foget your bags?".Der!!
So they now send someone to get our bags and finally , late, we head off to the airport.
What a sorry end to 4 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia!!!
We booked through [--]. and now know we paid a premium price , so never again with them too!!

• Liked — absolutely nothing!!!
  • Disliked — The Rat !!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank marilynjoy
Essen, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I just escaped upon the room check in, when I asked to change the room because of its moldy bed and dirty bathroom. I asked the front desk staff to change the room, but encounter absolute ignorance. So I canceled my two nights booking and escaped without even unpacking! I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in filth for a while!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business