Buddy Lodge Hotel
D&D INN(Bangkok)
Average 3/5
Villa Cha-Cha(Bangkok)
1,408 results
All reviewskhaosan roadrooftop poolmosquito netfour poster bedcolonial styleparty streetnoisy at nightearly hourskhao sanquiet roomair congreat poolbreakfast is servedgrand palacetravel agentcomfy bedmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2012

In the middle of happining in Khao San Rd. We book in advince by travel agency. When we got in to the room it smell great (flower parfume).  After one over the room, especially bed stink like somebody die in it. The room was also very dirty. Hairs on the flore. We couldnt turn of the air condition, turn on some lights... Because we paid in advance we demand another room (if we wouldnt pay in advance, we would run out of the hotel). They gave us another room with no problem. The new room was better, but far from good. Avoid room 411.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Luka150
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My first experience here was the woman at the counter. I asked if she needed my confirmation number. When she said yes I showed it to here and she sharply said "name". I got to my room which was ok. Nice balcony kind of old colonial. I lied down on my bed as I was very tired from traveling when the music started. I don't mind some noise from the street but this place is on top of a club. When items on the shelf are rattling the noise is too loud. Between that, the street noise and the loud music from the room next too me this place was awful. I finally fell asleep from sheer exhaustion but got up early the next day and checked out. They don't seem to get that this place is too noisy from the club. I checked out 2 days early and I guess will have to fight to not get charged for 2 of the 3 days I stayed there. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: I guess if you get one higher up in the hotel it might be better but I didn't stick around to find out.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Enusmith
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before flying home. Had heard good things about the hotel particularly the rooftop pool which was a big attraction! The hotel was on Ko San Rd and we expected noise but was pleasantly surprised by how little you could hear from the road!
However the staff we encountered were pretty unhelpful and shrugged A LOT! As our flight home didnt leave until the night we asked to have a shower in the gym and even though we had a free gym pass to use we were still expected to pay 100 baht each to use the shower, when I asked what it was for they said a towel and soap - originally I thought it would be quite swanky facilities but I was wrong. We got a scrappy towel which looked as though mice had eaten part of it and the shower was a cubicle in the toilets with crappy soap! My advice if you want a shower before a flight pretend to be using the gym and just use the shower as it is a big waste of a 100 baht particularly when the rooms are not really competitively priced!

The room (deluxe double) was nice but I wouldn't say the rooms were competitively priced compared to others we stayed and the staff need to up their game! We booked through hostel world which was almost 1000 baht cheaper than the hotel advertised their rooms in reception- so book online!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed with friends at Buddy hotel Khasoan rd and found the staff and facilities excellent. The rooms are cosy and good size and the rooftop was great on a warm balmy night. The gym is a good standard and there is a good range of equipment. Staff are good fun and speak good english. But the location was really handy being in the centre of Bangkok really close to all the action.It was my 2nd time to Thailand and highly recommend it as I was well satisfied with the experience;will go back if I return to Bangkok.
hotel buddy in Koh Samui if you're down south is also a really good place to stay.There last year and it has it all and just a walk over the road to a nice bar, pool and beach.Staff are really nice people.

Room Tip: southside rooms quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank john b
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The corporatisation of this hotel seems to be making things worse for the customer.

I've been staying here a couple of times a year pretty much since it was built. Though saddened at the loss of my beloved Buddy Beer pub, and horrified at the addition of a McDonalds, I nevertheless took the plunge and stayed for the first time in 2007 - and was pleasantly surprised: colonial-style rooms, very clean, nice facilities, pool on the roof, reasonably priced, great location.

Well that was 2007. By December 2011, things had started to fall apart a little. Though the hotel has innovated as far as greeting you with towel animals on the bed, the rooms are getting kind of tatty and the bathrooms verging on grotty. The electics don't seem to work consistently, half the consoles in the rooms seem to be falling apart or require fixing, and the old-style CRT TVs are flaky. The time-before-last I stayed here the a/c in my room was on full and I couldn't get it to turn down (though the maintenance staff were very prompt and fixed it both days that it happened). Furthermore there's a terribly noisy nightclub at the far end of the hotel that makes quite a few of the rooms uninhabitable - though no discount is ever offered for them.

The main problem is there is an increasing number of things that seem to show a disconnect between hotel policy and customer satisfaction, as well as the people who have to administer the policies:

The pool: you get one - yes ONE - free visit to the pool while you're staying, regardless of the length of your stay. One night or five nights, one swim only. Not very generous, eh? If you're playing by the rules you then have to pay a few hundred baht each time you use it, and I overheard the reception staff telling some non-guests that if they left the pool area *even once* they'd have to buy new pool tickets. However, when you get up to the pool you find that nobody bothers checking said tickets anyway.

The internet: You get a free 1-hour session via a flaky log-in page, then get booted off. When you're booted off you theoretically have to go down to reception to get another password slip. So to avoid you having to make repeated trips down and bother them, the staff give you handfuls of password slips. All of this seems like a solution in search of a problem, or the network manager trying to justify his/her existence: if the goal is to keep non-guests from stealing bandwidth, it would be perfectly feasible to have a simple network password for all guests that changes daily and allows us to be online continually, rather than this absurdly complex and no doubt pricy system.

Treating customers like kids: if you want a duplicate key for your partner/roommate, you need to put down a hefty deposit. More paperwork at checkout and frankly pretty condescending. I'm sure a few keys have been mislaid, but surely a good hotel would build this into their business model. Do you really need to make everyone's life harder by insisting that a lost keycard costs hundreds of baht to replace?

Continuity of service: I booked online and requested a double room. When we arrived there was only a twin. No worries said the reception staff, we'll move you for tomorrow night. The next day, the person who'd said this was nowhere to be found, and of course there was no room available for us to move into. The staff kindly pushed the twin beds together but they have wide wooden frames and snuggling up was not achievable.

In conclusion, the Buddy group has turned into a vast conglomerate, with restaurants, cafes (Lucky Beer is part of the chain), other hotels in the Khao San area and in other parts of Bangkok, as well as Samui. And like any conglomerate, it seems that its management are increasingly detached from the 'shop floor', and make rules that seem to make their lives easier, the staffs' lives harder, and the customer's stay less pleasant.

That was my last stay at Buddy Lodge. Buddy Lodge may have paved the way for boutique-style places in the area, but there are now plenty of other options, many of which seem to be more personal and customer-oriented.

Oh, and the breakfast buffet sucks, but then it always did. If you didn't get a B&B package I'd highly recommend avoiding the overpriced slop like the plague, and going out to a cafe.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisy because of Khao San road, but that's inevitable. Rooms at the back are noisy because of the nightclub. The middle seems like your best bet. Also the larger suites are not really worth the money - rooms are slightly bigger and have an enclosed and rather dirty extended balcony with a view of a wall.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple