2,899 results
All reviews chocolate buffet thai restaurant zuk bar garden suite beautiful hotel sathorn road an executive suite health club busy city coffee machine the banyan tree business district concierge desk luxury hotel our honeymoon pool area is celadon
Reviewed 3 October 2006

I actually work in the hospitality industry and know what it takes to reach the level of this hotel, this is simply the most incredible combination of luxury, elegance & customer service extended to its maximum.

I gave it the maximum grade because I just couldn't fault anything about this hotel.... it is as simple as that !

Really impressive and an excellent experience, would definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling to Bangkok.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank frenchtraveler
Reviewed 22 September 2006

Recently stayed for three nights at Sukhothai: this place is awesome. Refined simplicity, aesthetic finesse, and comfortable detail are all real features of this hotel, where a dedicated staff will make you feel you are a special guest. The hotel surroundings are very quiet, and you will most likely sleep like a baby. Fitness and steam room/sauna facilities are incredible, the pool is quite nice, the restaurants are quite good (and not so pricey once you translate the bill in euros), and I can't get over the absolutely wonderful breakfast I had every morning at the main restaurant.

Expensive? I got a beautiful "standard" room for 132 euros on Expedia for a real 5 star treatment that even included a B&O flat screen... That is good value to me. Take a look at my room's pictures and make your own opinion, but I believe this hotel is a (not so) hidden gem in the heart of Bangkok's embassy district (that is a nice spot for both tourist and business travellers).

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
7  Thank Nico1611
Reviewed 26 August 2006

we stayed at this hotel on several occasions, and i must say that it's a truly wonderful experience. i've never stayed in any other hotel in bkk, but my boyfriend has, and he says there's nothing better than sukhothai.
the staff is great, everything is express, from check-in to room service, rooms are beautiful and huge (we always stay in a suite, though, so i don't know how standard rooms look like), tha spa is excellent, and Celadon is my favourite restaurant in the world (we found out that it has been voted the best thai restaurant in thailand for years!).
the hotel is modern and minimalistic, with a thai touch, so if you like stuffy, you won't like it.
the man who designed the hotel is Ed Tuttle, who designed most of the Aman hotels, so you can pretty much get the Aman feel as the Sukhothai is an oasis in the middle of hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

here's the tip: if you're staying for at least 2 nights, always book a package (we always take the executive), as they upgrade you to a suite, complementary limousine service from and to the airport, and all of that for the almost the same price as the standard room.

one more tip: everywhere you go, it's better to take the hotel's limousine (which are bmw7 or mercedes) as they are pretty cheap (i think it's 700bt per hour) and much more luxurious and bigger than city taxis, + the drivers can be pretty good guides and they're always at your disposal

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank tikvica
Reviewed 24 July 2006

I won't add much to what has already been written, so I'll be brief.

Start with the pluses:
-Stayed in a basic room and there were a few things in need of attention, but overall the room is nice and comfortable. The B&O TV is a nice touch, the dark tiled bathroom is very cool.
-Staff is attentive and very nice, but they are like that everywhere in Bangkok that I've ever been, its Thai hospitality and should be expected.
-Pool and spa are both very nice, service is first class.
-Celadon is outstanding, best Thai food I have had in Bangkok, and a close second is Baan Khanitha which is about a 10 minute walk down Sathorn Road outside the hotel.
-10 minutes in the other direction is a big night market which is worth seeing.

Minuses:
-Very noisy rooms! I couldn't believe how easily noise traveled in from the outside. I think if you are in suites you are in good shape as these are in a carpeted hallway while the regular rooms are basically open to the outside world (albeit behind some lattice work) and outside concrete hallways. For instance:
-There was some major construction going on outside our side of the hotel (the bldg immediately behind the main lobby) starting at 7 am on both Saturday and Sunday morning. Talking about jackhammers and the like, no way to sleep through this!
-I also heard a guy talking on his mobile in the hallway about 3 or 4 a.m. and it freaked me out, it sounded like he was sitting at the end of the bed.

I wouldn't stay there again unless in a suite.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank bond_guy
Reviewed 26 June 2006

Although I shouldn't start a review with a comparison I got to on this occasion.

I love the Peninsula, the top personal attention, the product etc, however having now stayed at the Sukhothai I am sold - I love the Sukhothai. It more personal, more personal as staff seems to have personalities and are not just smiling robots.

The Sukhothai rocks.