Lowest prices for your stay
USD 253
Hotels.com
USD 253
eDreams
USD 148
Free cancellation until 10/12/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
PricelineUSD 159
Trip.comUSD 169
TravelocityUSD 253
3,667 results
All reviews chocolate buffet celadon restaurant club wing executive suite thai style coffee machine concierge team f b pool side luxury hotel colonnade botan khun gym ploy lotus staycation
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Service was really exceptionally good, including the check-in staff who show us the room and the restaurant staff. I would say that they are really well-trained and would try to accede to all reasonable requests.

The only thing is the location that a taxi was required most of the time. It is not conveniently located within walking distance to train stations.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Happy_namakemono
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The Sukhothai is not a package holiday cramming tourists in around a breakfast buffet, nor is it a bell ringing, lemon grass scented spa retreat. The unique quality of this hotel lies in its ability to combine a top class business hotel with all you need for a holiday retreat.

Efficiency begins on check in which is completed in-room with minimal chatter. The newly refurbished rooms lack some of the charm of the older style (and the bathroom lighting is dismal; combining airplane style floor lighting with black marble even a trip to the loo requires a torch!) but contain all the iPod dock/B & O stereo and Wifi gadgets you need. And no hidden charges.

For the solo traveller, eating in any of the outlets is pressure free. The Thai Celedon restaurant is still capable of impressing but the real hidden gem is La Scala, the Italian restaurant. It sounds counter-intuitive; going to Thailand to eat Italian food but this really is superlative. I dare you to try the pizza with truffles and say it is not divine! Equally impressive are the soup noodles served in the lobby. Delicious, fragrant and light.

The hotel has an impressively stocked gym with knowledgeable staff and immaculate changing rooms. The swimming pool is large and the poolside frozen drinks served on your arrival refresh you against the Thai heat. Take the time to check out the exercise classes. I can highly recommend the yoga classes held daily. I tried the Saturday and Sunday classes which were superlative. The spa decor or range of services isn't as Thai style or special as the Oriental or as reasonably priced as standalone outlets but it is on your doorstep and the quality of the massage is good.

The service is overall excellent with staff willing to cater for your every need although there are areas which are patchy (coffee/tea was not replenished and what happened to the dear little stuffed elephants which used to be on every pillow?) This is a very special hotel and it needs to keep an eye on standardisation of service (or lack of) but this is a minor issue which we are only aware of because we have stayed here in the past.

Perfect for a business trip; extend by two days and recover your equilibrium!

Room tip: The old wing rooms are not all renovated yet; 405 where we stayed is a bit tired.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Everydayanadventure
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I come to Bangkok relatively often and have stayed in a number of five star hotels. The Sukhothai is definitely my favorite. The competition among five star hotels is very stiff in this city. Frankly, almost all of them are good. But the Sukhothai stands alone as a low-rise "urban resort." The grounds are quite extensive; the landscaping is excellent and the design taste level in the architecture and interiors is impressive. Yes, the room rate is higher here than elswhere. Is it worth it? In my mind, yes.

When I am in BKK for business and know that I will be out all day and only use the room to sleep, I often stay at one of the less expensive high rise five stars. But if I know that I will have a couple of hours of daytime to spend relaxing in BKK, the Sukhothai is my choice.

Some reviewers comment on the "distance" of the Sukhothai from the "center". This is nonsense. The hotel is a 10 minute walk (I repeat TEN minute) to the skytrain (monorail) station. Because of the traffic in BKK, the skytrain and metro are the best way to get around.

If management are reading this review, I want to extend special thanks to Markus, at reception, for helping make my stay, that ended today, so pleasant.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank williamKParis_France
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We were met at the airport by the greeting staff and whisked away to the hotel in no time. Check-in was simple, they just took us to our room. The room was charming, had a decent flat panel TV (though it should be larger based on room size) and a Bose sound system for us to plug in our iPhones. The decor was warm and simple yet elegantly done. Our bed was very comfortable, the shower, bath area and toilet were all immaculate and perfect. Breakfast was included and it was absolutely delicious and had quite an assortment of different cuisines (all delicious). Coffee was very good. The pool area was an oasis in the massive city - serene and picturesque with attentive staff catering to our every need. This hotel is not new, but has a charm and warmth I haven't found at the places we usually stay when we travel (The Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or Intercontinental). We will be making The Sukhothai our home away from home whenever we get to Bangkok! Wish we didn't have to leave.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaikKubo
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Having been fortunate enough to have stayed in many of Bangkok's finest hotels, this is the one I recommend to people and the hotel which I usually choose to stay.

The service is impeccable as always, the rooms are stunning although, I do suggest if the budget stretches a little further, go for the Deluxe Studio rooms.

The standard "superior" rooms normally face into a closed courtyard and while very nice, the small extra one has to pay to get the much larger pool facing Deluxe Studio is well worth it! These rooms really are an oasis within the city!

The pool is also one of the best in the city! Getting a decent size pool with some sun can sometimes be a challenge in Bangkok.

La Scala their Italian restaurant is one of the best in the city...

Some people here have mentioned/complained about the location. The location is a short 20 minute walk away to most things... or an even shorter tuk tuk ride away.. I would suggest if someone is overly worried about a 20 minute walk they had probably better be more concerned about an impending heart bypass!

Room tip: Definately pay the extra for the Deluxe Studio!!
Date of stay: September 2010