“ Havn't been here for quiet a longtime”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #3 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Have not had a chance to come here more than 3 years. Seen some renovation. Only had a li-ght meal at the Veranda this time. we ordered papaya salad and seafood spagetthi. Orange smot smoothie for drink. "Somtum" or papaya salad was mild- Not so spicy which is good. Spagetthi is light and fresh, so as the orange smoothie. Good services.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Chul S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our culinary delights as well as the legendary Oriental service rendered by my colleagues during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok again in the not too distance future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It’s easy to overlook the relative dilapidated condition of this hotel known as the grand dame of Bangkok (BKK). Historically in the early 20th century it was the venue for writers and celebrities. However, this hotel and what it charges and management is resting purely on its laurels. Rooms are small for a $518++ a night five-star hotel in BKK. It continues to receive heads of state where money is no object and it’s out of the way location provide an element of security. But for fiscally responsible business travelers and leisure guests, this hotel has seen MUCH better days in terms of infrastructure and service. I would look across the river at the relatively new and refreshed Peninsula Hotel or the new Ritz Carlton if you’re considering paying for properties at this price category.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Skywalker917
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Skywalker917,

Thank you very much for your review and I regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. Your comments are taken very seriously and will be taken on board for future planning. It would be of great help if you could contact me at fdroin@mohg.com as I would like to have a better understanding on this incident. You could simply share with me your contact details and I will be in-touch accordingly.

Again, I sincerely apologize on behalf of my colleagues. I hope that you will be able to look at your experience as an isolated incident and that you will give us an opportunity to reassure you of our commitment to serve you properly and to make amended during a future visit.

In any cases, please contact me directly if you ever consider to return and I would be pleased to assist you with bookings or any other inquiries.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for the first time a few days ago. We booked the transfer service by 7-Series from Bangkok International Airport and the stay started with a flawless journey from the airport to the hotel. Coming off a 10+ hour flight from Europe being taken from arrivals to the car in less than 2 minutes. Overall the transfer is quite pricey but well worth it for the extra convenience.

Once at the hotel we were greeted by the staff with a flower bracelet and taken straight to our room. Check-in happened there and before we had signed the luggage was already there - which usually takes much longer in other hotels.

Our room 350 is located in the garden wing, the recently renovated building behind the original 1800s Oriental hotel that now houses the author's lounge for afternoon tea and the Royal Suite. From our 3rd floor room that includes an ensuite bathroom with rain shower (quite a small bathroom for two people but the hotel's and room's other qualities make more than up for it), seating area and separate kitchinette with full size fridge, we had an amazing view of the river and even on the other side towards downtown Bangkok. The room is very well equipped with two flat screen tvs, several switches next to the bed to control lights, blinds, curtains and even call the butler (which services we didnt use during our stay) and dozens of other features, decoration and gimmicks.

The pool is about 2.20m deep and big enough for proper swimming. Enough sunbeds are available and you get two towels as standard which I really like. The small pool with view of the river was closed for renovations but should reopen next week.

Of all the restaurants (i believe there are 8) we tried the Veranda (very good thai and international all day dining), China House (highly recommend the peking duck) and Bamboo Bar (great for after dinner drinks with live jazz music every night except Sunday - very cozy old world bar). I had a look at the French fine dining restaurant too which has an amazing almost 360 degree view over the river and city with only a handful of tables but did not eat there.

The spa and gym are located on the other side of the river - a 5 min boat ride away. Which could be a bit inconvenient but we didnt go there anyway and the rest of the Oriental hotel makes more than up for that inconvenience.

What really impressed me the most was the service. So much happens without you seeing or knowing about it. The staff works like a swiss watch - perfectly synchronized and with great precision. During my stay there was not a single moment where I had something to complain about the service - which almost never happens even in the most superior five star hotels.

Overall an incredible property with beautiful and comfortable rooms, very well maintained public areas, great restaurants and bars and true first class service. One of my new favorite hotels in the world and I highly recommend it to my friends and the tripadvisor community.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Des S,

On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to elaborate your experience on TripAdvisor. I am extremely delighted to learn how much you enjoyed our legendary Oriental service and all other aspects of your stay. We will make sure that our standards of service are maintained and continually improved to meet and exceed your expectations during your future visits.

Once again, thank you. My colleagues and I very much look forward to welcoming you and your husband back at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok in the near future for another magnificent stays.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with husband and friends (who had been before and recommended it). It was lovely. Nice location on the river bank. Great breakfast on the terrace. Lovely meal at the Verandah restaurant. Welcome cocktail drinks was appreciated. Afternoon tea in the Authors Lounge was fab... Two options were good. Service outstanding. Room... Great with lovely view. Housekeeping...outstanding...very clean and flowers on the pillow every night with an authors quote was a lovely touch. Always someone outside the lift to welcome us to our room. Nice pool...cold drinks given when we arrived. Really enjoyed the stay....if I ever go back to Bangkok I would definitely stay there.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SKKBmouth

Dear SKKBmouth,

Thank you very much for choosing us as your address in Bangkok and for sharing your lovely feedback on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed all elements of your stay. My colleagues and I truly hope to welcome you and your husband back at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We just attended the hotel for some afternoon tea on the terrace. But a small tour of the property showed that despite recent renovation to the historical wings the hotel is not really improving and still living of its prestigious past.
Most notably is the service levels. Very few staff, not looking very happy, not greeting you. My wife had the baby in its arm at the hotel entrance, he let his toy fall down, the door lady didn't move, it took 5 seconds for the security man to help. Clearly in comparison with our hotel the peninsula day and night. It seems the hotel is more happy with 70+ years old guests. We will wait until we reach that age to try again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank AsiaLovers

Dear AsiaLovers,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are indeed sad for having failed to offer you the renowned Oriental hospitality experience. Please accept our apologies on this incident. Your comments are taken very seriously and will be taken on board for future improvement.

Could you contact me on my e-mail fdroin@mohg.com in order for me to understand better this isolated incident?