It’s easy to overlook the relative dilapidated condition of this hotel known as the grand dame of Bangkok (BKK). Historically in the early 20th century it was the venue for writers and celebrities. However, this hotel and what it charges and management is resting purely on its laurels. Rooms are small for a $518++ a night five-star hotel in BKK. It continues to receive heads of state where money is no object and it’s out of the way location provide an element of security. But for fiscally responsible business travelers and leisure guests, this hotel has seen MUCH better days in terms of infrastructure and service. I would look across the river at the relatively new and refreshed Peninsula Hotel or the new Ritz Carlton if you’re considering paying for properties at this price category.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Agoda, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental