Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for the first time a few days ago. We booked the transfer service by 7-Series from Bangkok International Airport and the stay started with a flawless journey from the airport to the hotel. Coming off a 10+ hour flight from Europe being taken from arrivals to the car in less than 2 minutes. Overall the transfer is quite pricey but well worth it for the extra convenience.
Once at the hotel we were greeted by the staff with a flower bracelet and taken straight to our room. Check-in happened there and before we had signed the luggage was already there - which usually takes much longer in other hotels.
Our room 350 is located in the garden wing, the recently renovated building behind the original 1800s Oriental hotel that now houses the author's lounge for afternoon tea and the Royal Suite. From our 3rd floor room that includes an ensuite bathroom with rain shower (quite a small bathroom for two people but the hotel's and room's other qualities make more than up for it), seating area and separate kitchinette with full size fridge, we had an amazing view of the river and even on the other side towards downtown Bangkok. The room is very well equipped with two flat screen tvs, several switches next to the bed to control lights, blinds, curtains and even call the butler (which services we didnt use during our stay) and dozens of other features, decoration and gimmicks.
The pool is about 2.20m deep and big enough for proper swimming. Enough sunbeds are available and you get two towels as standard which I really like. The small pool with view of the river was closed for renovations but should reopen next week.
Of all the restaurants (i believe there are 8) we tried the Veranda (very good thai and international all day dining), China House (highly recommend the peking duck) and Bamboo Bar (great for after dinner drinks with live jazz music every night except Sunday - very cozy old world bar). I had a look at the French fine dining restaurant too which has an amazing almost 360 degree view over the river and city with only a handful of tables but did not eat there.
The spa and gym are located on the other side of the river - a 5 min boat ride away. Which could be a bit inconvenient but we didnt go there anyway and the rest of the Oriental hotel makes more than up for that inconvenience.
What really impressed me the most was the service. So much happens without you seeing or knowing about it. The staff works like a swiss watch - perfectly synchronized and with great precision. During my stay there was not a single moment where I had something to complain about the service - which almost never happens even in the most superior five star hotels.
Overall an incredible property with beautiful and comfortable rooms, very well maintained public areas, great restaurants and bars and true first class service. One of my new favorite hotels in the world and I highly recommend it to my friends and the tripadvisor community.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Evoline ltd, lastminute.com.au, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental