“One of the absolute best hotels in the world”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #3 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for the first time a few days ago. We booked the transfer service by 7-Series from Bangkok International Airport and the stay started with a flawless journey from the airport to the hotel. Coming off a 10+ hour flight from Europe being taken from arrivals to the car in less than 2 minutes. Overall the transfer is quite pricey but well worth it for the extra convenience.

Once at the hotel we were greeted by the staff with a flower bracelet and taken straight to our room. Check-in happened there and before we had signed the luggage was already there - which usually takes much longer in other hotels.

Our room 350 is located in the garden wing, the recently renovated building behind the original 1800s Oriental hotel that now houses the author's lounge for afternoon tea and the Royal Suite. From our 3rd floor room that includes an ensuite bathroom with rain shower (quite a small bathroom for two people but the hotel's and room's other qualities make more than up for it), seating area and separate kitchinette with full size fridge, we had an amazing view of the river and even on the other side towards downtown Bangkok. The room is very well equipped with two flat screen tvs, several switches next to the bed to control lights, blinds, curtains and even call the butler (which services we didnt use during our stay) and dozens of other features, decoration and gimmicks.

The pool is about 2.20m deep and big enough for proper swimming. Enough sunbeds are available and you get two towels as standard which I really like. The small pool with view of the river was closed for renovations but should reopen next week.

Of all the restaurants (i believe there are 8) we tried the Veranda (very good thai and international all day dining), China House (highly recommend the peking duck) and Bamboo Bar (great for after dinner drinks with live jazz music every night except Sunday - very cozy old world bar). I had a look at the French fine dining restaurant too which has an amazing almost 360 degree view over the river and city with only a handful of tables but did not eat there.

The spa and gym are located on the other side of the river - a 5 min boat ride away. Which could be a bit inconvenient but we didnt go there anyway and the rest of the Oriental hotel makes more than up for that inconvenience.

What really impressed me the most was the service. So much happens without you seeing or knowing about it. The staff works like a swiss watch - perfectly synchronized and with great precision. During my stay there was not a single moment where I had something to complain about the service - which almost never happens even in the most superior five star hotels.

Overall an incredible property with beautiful and comfortable rooms, very well maintained public areas, great restaurants and bars and true first class service. One of my new favorite hotels in the world and I highly recommend it to my friends and the tripadvisor community.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Des S,

On behalf of the entire team at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to elaborate your experience on TripAdvisor. I am extremely delighted to learn how much you enjoyed our legendary Oriental service and all other aspects of your stay. We will make sure that our standards of service are maintained and continually improved to meet and exceed your expectations during your future visits.

Once again, thank you. My colleagues and I very much look forward to welcoming you and your husband back at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok in the near future for another magnificent stays.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with husband and friends (who had been before and recommended it). It was lovely. Nice location on the river bank. Great breakfast on the terrace. Lovely meal at the Verandah restaurant. Welcome cocktail drinks was appreciated. Afternoon tea in the Authors Lounge was fab... Two options were good. Service outstanding. Room... Great with lovely view. Housekeeping...outstanding...very clean and flowers on the pillow every night with an authors quote was a lovely touch. Always someone outside the lift to welcome us to our room. Nice pool...cold drinks given when we arrived. Really enjoyed the stay....if I ever go back to Bangkok I would definitely stay there.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SKKBmouth

Dear SKKBmouth,

Thank you very much for choosing us as your address in Bangkok and for sharing your lovely feedback on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed all elements of your stay. My colleagues and I truly hope to welcome you and your husband back at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We just attended the hotel for some afternoon tea on the terrace. But a small tour of the property showed that despite recent renovation to the historical wings the hotel is not really improving and still living of its prestigious past.
Most notably is the service levels. Very few staff, not looking very happy, not greeting you. My wife had the baby in its arm at the hotel entrance, he let his toy fall down, the door lady didn't move, it took 5 seconds for the security man to help. Clearly in comparison with our hotel the peninsula day and night. It seems the hotel is more happy with 70+ years old guests. We will wait until we reach that age to try again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank AsiaLovers
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear AsiaLovers,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are indeed sad for having failed to offer you the renowned Oriental hospitality experience. Please accept our apologies on this incident. Your comments are taken very seriously and will be taken on board for future improvement.

Could you contact me on my e-mail fdroin@mohg.com in order for me to understand better this isolated incident?

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Everything leads to pleasure and relaxation at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok.......service is of the best nature and all outlets offer excellent standards......a must see or stay during your next trip to Bangkok..

Stayed: November 2016
2  Thank Serge S

Dear Serge S,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back to our ‘Grande Dame’ in the not too distance future.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Bangkok, formerly, The Oriental Hotel is one of the landmark hotels of Asia that has been around forever. Quite simply, it is a great hotel.

The Oriental is over a hundred years old and it has been serving travelers to Bangkok for all of those years. Its current structure is certainly not that old but its roots in history remain. Today, it is a five-star hotel with all of the enmities that one would expect. But, what I love about this hotel is the subtle elements that it offers its guest that really make it a unique and worthwhile place to stay. Whether it is having coffee out on the deck, overlook the Chao Praya, at the Riverside Terrance, having a drink inside, in air conditioned comfort, at the bamboo bar, or eating at one of the great themed restaurants housed inside the hotel, this hotel is really the place to stay in Bangkok.

Personally, I have been staying here since the early 1980s. I have watched as the hotel has evolved. Whereas some of the five-star hotels in Bangkok seem to deteriorate with time, this is not the case with the Mandarin Oriental. The rooms, the services, and the staff continue to stay at the top of the game.

In terms of the rooms, they are what can be expected from a five-star hotel in Asia. They are clean and well-maintained. The most impressive thing is the incredible view they provide of the Chao Praya River and Bangkok beyond. I have sat in my room and on the deck of their veranda watching the boats and the Bangkok life pass by on the river for hours on end. The view is great!

Getting to The Mandarin Oriental from the airport is simple enough. Grab a taxi and you are there. This is the same when you are out and about in Bangkok. Whether you are traveling via taxi or tuk-tuk, every driver knows how to get to the Mandarin Oriental. So, you never have a problem getting back to the hotel.

In terms of pricing, truthfully, this hotel is pretty much at the top of the Bangkok pricing scale. And, yes, there are much cheaper four and five-star hotels to stay in in Bangkok. But, if you want a guaranteed experience, then it is worth the price you pay to stay at this hotel. But, that is just my opinion…

I have personally had a lot of very good and unique experiences while staying at this hotel. I do recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo

Dear applezen,

Thank you so much for being our regular guests and for your kind review on TripAdvisor. It was our great pleasure to welcome you back once again. We are extremely delighted to learn that you had a wonderful experience during your recent stay with us by the River of Kings and that our legendary Oriental service having impressed you. I have shared your kind words with our team, they were delighted to hear your feedback. We hope to have another opportunity of serving you again in the not too distant future