I have just stayed for the fourth time at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. This is a truly unique hotel. It is steeped in history and remains a classy five star hotel without the feeling of a large impersonal establishment. To the contrary, the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is a very intimate place to stay and it enjoys an enviable riverside location on the Chao Phraya. In particular, we look forward to the superb buffet breakfast on the river when we come to stay and try to take advantage of the spa and gym facilities on the other side.
I found out today that the hotel provides a shuttle boat to the sky-train which would be a great way to get to and from the major shopping precincts without having to use taxis in peak hour traffic.
This time we stayed in the Garden Wing above the author's lounge. If you can stretch your budget to stay in one of these rooms, you'll be rewarded with sensational river views. My only criticism is that the bathrooms are starting to become a little dated, and if the Mandarin is to maintain its prestigious reputation and pricing, then a refurbishment will be in order in the not too distant future given the plethora of new 5 star hotels springing up.
Nevertheless, this hotel will always be "The Oriental" - one of the most famous hotels in the world, and providing an experience that I can highly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia APAC, Priceline, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, lastminute.com.au, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental