1,661 results
All reviews shopping mall chatuchak cafe suan bua weekend market business trip star hotel the club lounge sky bar thai restaurant shuttle bus mrt station department store breakfast buffet deluxe suite international airport business hotel very nice hotel
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Good Location, Good Food, Average Rooms, the hotel is under renovation, the rooms looks old

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Upon approaching the hotel from the airport, we could already see the building from the highway. I was expecting the worse, as the building looked quite drabby from the outside (probably due to the close proximity to the freeway).

However, upon entering the hotel I was relatively surprised. It was clean, comfortable and modern. The staff were all generally friendly and helpful.

The rooms are of fair size and clean. The only downside was the bathtub, which was pretty small, cramp and short. The best feature of the room was the flatscreen TV with a variety of channels to choose from.

Facilities are also great. They have many restaurants and a lounge as well as a gym and pool. The food at the lounge was also surprisingly good.

Although we did not have the opportunity to use the gym and pool, they looked fine and well maintained.

There's nothing much to do around the area except to check out some shops and the mall. On weekends this hotel is just a stones throw away from the weekend market. I would suggest that you take a taxi though, which will be only a 5 minute journey. There's also a train station nearby, which will take you to more popular tourist spots and to the heart of Bangkok city.

This is a hotel which I would recommend if you choose not to stay too close to the nightspots and is a good choice for business travellers, as the location is convenient (close proximity to the airport and city centre) and facilities are abound.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BluePeppers
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed for two nights here on 8 and 9 August. We like Sofitel hotels very much so usually do not check them out on Trip Advisor. However, just before we arrived I did look this one up and was alarmed to see some of the reviews about the hotel being tired and needing a facelift. However on check in I was pleasantly surprised. Here are my comments

Room - our room was no smoking on the 17th Floor. Quite spacious, OK a little dated (shower in the bath) etc but we obtained an excellent rate from Sawadee for AUD$113 per night including breakfast. Who could complain about that? If you want a modern, plush room pay a lot more and stay somewhere else. Air con was a little noisy. Flat screen TV and safe. Usual charge for internet access.

Breakfast - very good selection of Western and Asian dishes. Great pastries. Service is excellent.

Check in - no issues for us. Quick and easy. Staff very friendly. When we arrived by taxi we paid the driver who promptly told me that he had "no change". He seemed unaware that we had heard that line plenty of times before. I went through my purse and handed him a $1000 baht note in error. This was quickly retrieved from the driver by the charming chief concierge, dressed in full colonial gear, and handed back to me!

Swimming pool - good size in a charming oasis style garden. Hard to believe you are in the centre of Bangkok. It was though a little dirty with algae growing on the steps and black spot on the floor. It needs a good clean and the area around it needs sweeping. This was the one area that was not up to the usual high Sofitel standard in my opinion.

Fitness Centre - excellent. My partner is a gym junkie and extremely fussy about the equipment, cleanliness etc. This one ticked all the boxes. Large, latest equipment, supervised. Fantastic.

Shuttle bus - complimentary for guests to the Chidlom and Silom shopping centres. One tip, if you take this bus when you arrive at the shopping centres there is a book that you have to enter your name to say you want to be picked up when the bus next calls. If you do not, the bus drops off, driver checks the book and if there are no names, he drives off. The hotel does not tell you about this, we caught a taxi back. No big deal, taxis are cheap in Bangkok. And talking about taxis ........

Taxis - make sure you take a metered taxi. If the "meter is broken" catch another one. You will be surprised how quickly the meter springs back into life. Also we pay all the tolls in cash on the way then just pay the meter price at destination. Otherwise the driver adds on the tolls at the end and you have no way of knowing whether the final price is correct or not.

Hotel - I believe this hotel is being refurbished this year. It is very close to the famous weekend market (a must to see) and next door is a large shopping centre.

Thank you Sofitel for a great stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Stopped at this hotel for a week on business but my wife was with me. I have stopped here before because it is convenient for business, the first time was over 15 years ago. It seems that very little has been done to the hotel in this period. As noted by several reviewers, the lobby is nice and the restaurants (particularly the Italian) range from good to very good - but the quality of the rooms for this price range is unacceptable. I was also a little perturbed by the inefficient checkin (the staff are nice, but it took forever) and the attempt to charge me 400baht per night extra because my wife was with me, when the booking (internet) for a double room with 2 persons never mentioned this.
If it were not for the convenience, I would not stop here. There are too many other good hotels in Bangkok for this price (or less).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Follies
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed there during 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. A few surprises when I got there. Didn't realize that there's a few Sofitel. My friend booked it and told me we are staying in Sofitel it ended up not being the Sofitel I've expected(my bad, should have asked the full name of the hotel).

I was 1st disappointed by the outlook of the building, it was a relatively big hotel but the outlook didn't really impress me that much.

The hotel lobby was surprisingly decent. I really think at first it was not a bad hotel after all. When we checked in, we asked for king size bed, non smoking, but was told that there's only twin bedded room for non smoking. Don't want to spoil our holiday, we settle for a smoking room so we could get a king bed.

Upon reaching our room, the smell was unbearable, ewwww... i cant even describe it. I've stayed in smoking rooms before but the smell wasn't that bad. It seems like it was converted from a chimney. The room was old as well, furnitures seems like it has been there since opening. The TV flicked and was blurred. We called the front desk immediately to asked for a change of room even if it meant twin bedded. The new room was just as old as well but thank god there's no smell.

But I do have the give credo to the staff, they are all friendly and helpful. The room was a disappointment but the service we've received from the front desk balance it up.

But really, the owner should seriously consider a overhaul of the rooms...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple