“Don't Expect Great German Food in a pub”

Old German Beerhouse
Ranked #590 of 12,071 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: German, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed 24 February 2017

Me and my husband go to Bangkok everry year for a month since 2012 during winter, but this is the first time we discover this pub siince it is close to where we stay this time. We enjoy the atmosphere and some of the staff is friendly especially the manager was very pleasant.
We took some friend and try out the sausage platter as snack and it was good, the mashed potato was buttery and tasty, the sauerkraut was also very good. Since we have confident with the food there, we went back trying other food on the menu and found the Pork Knuckle is outstanding although I normally don't order it if it is deep fried and not roasted. But this one was great, it is crispy and not oily. The Chicken corden bleu is also delicious. I look forward to go back next year for the knuckle again!

Reviewed 23 February 2017

We had breakfast during our 3-day visit at Bangkok and the breakfast is great - on our first the day the service was a bit slow but it depends on the stuff - breakfast (stadtfrühstück) is nicely served with fresh bread and a croissant and one fried egg - price is reasonable and coffee is really great. Good place for a start into sightseeing in Bangkok

Reviewed 21 February 2017

The food here was excellent, large portions of authentic German food (I know, I have lived there) as well as a good selection of Thai dishes which our Thai guests said were delicious. My wife’s schnitzel was enormous. Service was very good and they were ready to adapt my order according to my wishes (I don’t eat meat). The following day I came back on my own and tried the breakfast, which was cheap and also good.
What we especially liked about this place is that they didn’t add any service charges or ‘government tax’, which seems to be quite rare in the centre of Bangkok. Top marks for that, this alone would want to make us come back.

PS They had an unadvertised offer, which we took advantage of: we ordered two glasses of Warsteiner German beer and they gave us a third one free.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

The Old German Beerhouse was very convenient because I was staying in the Grand President Tower 3, just above it. The food was reasonably good, although not entirely to my taste, perhaps I should have tried the Thai options. A variety of beers both on draught and in bottles, and some interesting alternatives such as apple wine from Frankfurt.
The staff are very friendly, and once you go there more than once they recognise you as a 'regular'. They make you feel very much at home. Unfortunately I had to change hotels, making this bar a little bit too inaccessible, otherwise I would have continued to go every night, despite all the other bars and restaurants around it.

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Lovely place, correct staff and very nice food. Tried so many dishes but all tasty and nice. Portions are big and more than enough. German beers and all the other beverages you wish. They doing happy hours also.
When you are a meat lover this is the place to go!