“A recently renovated hotel, perfectly situated for MTR & Airport link stations.”

D Varee Xpress Makkasan, Bangkok
Ranked #386 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have used this hotel on a couple of occasions, as it it good value for money, and the rooms appear to have been renovated in the last few months. The decor inside each room is modern, and both a/c and hot water systems are very efficient.
The beds are comfortable and clean although not of a massive size.
The rooms have a modern look, although this includes grey painted concrete floors, which may not be everyone's taste. The bathrooms are spotless with walk in wet rooms for the showers. Unfortunately, some of the rooms are a little on the small size, and the ones which front the main road, can be a little noisy.
Check-in was very efficient, and there is a 24 hour Dim-sum restaurant next door, although as the name suggests, the menu is a little limited for western tastes. However, they do an American breakfast, which can be used in emergencies !
The hotel offers internet, but I found the wifi to be dismally slow, and in the end, I found it easier to come to the lobby and connect to the adjacent restaurants router, when my surfing was important.
I guess the main advantage of this is hotel is the location, being 3-4 minutes from the MRT (subway) station, and about 10 minutes walk from the Makkasan Airport link terminal.
You may feel the hotel is a little isolated, but if you walk out of the lobby, turn left, then right at the main road intersection, you do start to see a few bars and coffee shops. Alternatively, get on the MRT for one stop, and you will be at Asok BTS station in the heart of Sukhumvit.

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room, ideally at the back of the hotel, overlooking the carpark.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russ-McD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Location is ok, just a few minutes walk to Makkasan MRT station. Hotel is quite basic. Our room was clean, mid-sized, bathroom ok. A/C worked well and the room was quiet. Stayed just one night.

Nothing to complain about. Good choice if you want a mid-range priced hotel with no luxory.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank travelgirl658
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent, close to the metro stop and the sky train to the airport. You walk only 5 - 10 minutes. I had no problem finding the place from the airport sky train stop since I had googlemapped it beforehand. The staff was very friendly, but the clincher was the room. Spacious, clean, quiet, and a good-sized bathroom. The AC works really well. And I could walk to so many places or take the train. I think I paid the equivalent of 20 EUR. Even compared to the places I have stayed in India and West Africa, this was fantastic value given the modern, new, clean room. In a European city you could easily pay 80 EUR or more for what they offer. The staff was very sweet, offering me a drink upon arrival, quick with the check in and always available for any questions I had. Definitely recommendable to anyone looking for an excellent clean, central Bankgok budget option.

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank KincsZoltan
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Check-in in this hotel because of my Girlfriend thailand tour.. It was so clean and simple! it's kinda new hotel. Front desk was friendly and the bell person. Hospitable and accomodating. 3night stay was so good spending some quality time with my Girlfriend.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilbel11
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 17 February 2012

So, before I begin my rant, this is a pretty decent place, as you can see from the pics. Clean rooms. Spartan, but interesting decor. Basic cable, wifi free (although slow). Hot water. Comfortable. And for roughly $40 a night (though if you try to book at the front desk, the price somehow doubles).

What ruined it for me was the amateurish staff. They, like some other Thai places I've visited, were completely rigid, unbending, and simply seemed to have never received any hospitality training. I travel a lot for work - and my plans change all the time - to the point where I often make last minute reservations, or cancel them. I've stayed at similarly priced places and never had a problem extending or cutting short visits. It's why I return to those hotels that are most flexible.

So I arrive late one night, and spend all of about 7-8 hours in a room (paying full price). I then anticipate having to stay there, book another room, only to have my office tell me to leave. I end up completely wasting a paid night. No refund from the hotel once I had paid. No offer of a discount, voucher, or anything either. Simply a "sorry, you paid". I understand the paid part - but there was not an iota of effort to somehow make up the fact that I had paid full price for a room and not used it - literally in front of them. In that mere hour, they may have theoretically lost a customer had they refunded me, but the reality was they will lost a lifelong customer, since I planned on using this hotel often as it is supposedly located by the airport rail.

Speaking of which, it's not! In theory, the airport rail station is a couple hundred yards away, but there's no straight path, (I asked), forcing you to walk close to a kilometer.

Asking to store an extra luggage bag was met with initial resistance, and then only allowed on the condition I booked a room there on my return trip. Which I did, and gentleman's agreement later, showed up a couple weeks later. This time, with a prebooked room, but 2 hours before check in time. From the booking site, there were several rooms available. Also, no less than half a dozen people checked out from the time I tried to check in. Nevertheless, the staff refused to allow me to enter a room ahead of check-in time. I was told to come back at 2 PM. I told them my ride had dropped me off, and had nowhere to go, so I would just stay put in the lobby. No response from the staff. It was at that point, sitting along 3 other people with bags waiting to check in, that I decided to write this review.

Bottom line, it's a decent place, although you can get much better for this price. Location isn't all it's made out to be (not a decent restaurant within walking distance, for example, or the marathon walk from the airport link). But the staff. Pleasant, polite, but simply amateur. No flexibility. It's as if they were doing me the greatest favor by simply being there. This will be the last night I spend at this place.

Room Tip: You are not unfortunately allowed to select rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
FXhotel, General Manager at D Varee Xpress Makkasan, Bangkok, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Sir,
We appreciate hearing feedback from all our guests as this allow us to improve the quality of our products and services in order to better meet the needs of our guests. We do read all guest comments and take serious actions and follow ups. The voice of customers has top priority at our hotel. Even if we cannot find full solution at the particular time, we keep in view for future possible project, as we may be find good opportunities to follow. I was extremely sorry to read about the general attitude of our staff during your stay. On the day of your arrival early morning, the hotel was running very high occupancy which caused the room did not available before normal check in time at 2.00 p.m. , With regards to your luggage bag store request which is concerned with security reasons and limit of space store room. Our staff should have explained you more in an appropriate manner for better solution, we do apologise once again for the poor communication level. Kindly note that an appropriate training will be conducted to improve the service at Reception area. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Sincerely yours. The Management FX Hotel Makkasan Bangkok.

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels