“coolest place to stay in Bangkok”

Galleria 10 Sukhumvit
Ranked #275 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
“coolest place to stay in Bangkok”
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

This was my first trip to Bangkok with my girlfriend and we have nothing but compliments about the hotel. We came across this hotel through Agoda.com and Tripadvisor.com and read all the comments or complaints and compliments from other people. All I can say is people have different expectations of what a hotel should or shouldn't be. But for me and my girlfriend, we absolutely love this hotel and would stay there again if we will visit Bangkok again. Food was good, breakfast buffet was excellent although pricey but it was worth it. Unfortunately, we had to go to Phi Phi Island and Phuket but weren't able to book Ramada Encore for our return trip back to Bangkok and had to stay at a different hotel. The location of the hotel is the best as it is near everything even the mall. The Terminal 21 mall is cool & hip and that's coming from a guy from Orange County, California. The hotel is just a walk away from everything be it the mall, banks, money changers, restaurants, train station (Asoke station), you name it. Don't base your decision upon comments of people who like to nit pick on everything under the sun. This hotel is a fantastic one for the price.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Jason T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Ramada Encore Bangkok, provided us with the warmest welcome ever: Passport and Credit Card! Really unacceptable, no smile, no welcome to the Ramada Encore! The rooms are okay, nothing you would not be able to find in similar hotell/same segment. The management at the Ramada Encore does not get the fact that it is the people/staff, their friendliness and service mind who will make (and break) a hotel, not the design or room facilities. Breakfast is nice, staff is the same as the reception staff, no smile, no service mind and not friendly at all. Cleanliness in the rooms is poor, if you like to find hairs from guests who have stayed in the room previously this is the place to be. Will I stay at this hotel again, absolutely not, there are so many horels in the same segment in Bangkok, other hotels might employ staff who have a better and friendlier service mind.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MarieOsbourne
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The rooms are small really tiny in fact and I was not in the smallest room. The rooms are well designed and make the most of what little space there is. The TV has the worst selection of channels I have ever seen in a Bangkok hotel. Watching Fox news not my idea of fun.

I think for the money I paid it wasn't that bad but still not that cheap, if I had paid much more I don't think it would be worth it.

The bathroom door was glass so let light in so the room got a lot of light not good if you are jett lagged and need to sleep.

I use a wheelchair so had some extra problems. I was promised the suite but is still not fully finished. So stayed in a smaller room. I looked at the one wheelchair accessible room but there was nothing to make it easier as a wheelchair user.

The two computers they have are way to high for me to be able to use. I went up to the rooftop to check out the pool. It was upstairs so there was no way I could use it. I nearly had an accident trying to get back to the elevators as there is a steep ramp that is difficult to get down without coming out of chair. Another accident waiting to happen is the ramp down to reception if you can't stop in time you would end up in the glass. No way would it be allowed in more safety conscious parts of the world.

The internet is free but is so slow it isn't worth using unless just checking emails 512kps. Have to pay for faster net but is by no means fast. The air conditioning seems to cool the room well but should do as its only cooling a shoebox. It is however very noisy.

Restaurants have good food and service and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I managed to get room cleaned at all times of day which is very good.

So not a bad option if you don't suffer from claustrophobia and don't mind hearing next doors conversations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mac147
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 3 April 2012

What a find the Ramada Encore was. I was attracted by the rate and location, and liked it so much I extended my stay.
Hotel location is on Soi 10 Sukhumvit. This is the quieter and some would argue more pleasant side of Sukhumvit Road but within very easy walking distance of everywhere including the BTS at Asok and Nana which are about equi distant from the hotel. The Soi is quiet and mainly residential, so you are free from any hassle and noise. There is also a very pleasant park close by. More shopping and eating options than you could possibly need and the new Terminal 21 shopping centre is within very easy walking distance.
Public areas are nice lobby and restaurant area is cool clean and sophisticated, busy at lunch when they have some great special offers on the buffet lunch. You are welcomed with an ice cream! Trust me that beats the welcome drink any day!
The rooms are lovely I took the standard room and while it was compact it was extremely well designed. Huge TV, good quality desk and chair with reasonably speedy free internet connection. Bed was superb. Decoration was very nice and the bathroom was fitted out to a high standard. Mix of wood flooring and carpet provides a very nice ambience. There are bigger rooms available if you need it for a not very huge additional cost. Standard room worked fine for me.
Pool area is really lovely and the gym has all the equipment that you could possibly need, including some TVs to help the time pass as you work out. Nice views of the city.
Staff were universally friendly some of the best I have experienced in Thailand, really friendly helpful and efficient. A particular shout out to the ladies of housekeeping who do an excellent job with a smile despite it being no doubt extremely hard work.
My only minor gripe, and it is increasingly a problem in Thai hotels was the choice of TV channels was pretty limited. For football fans you do get BPL in your room with Thai commentary. No Star Sports or ESPN which if you are a motor sports fan like me is a real issue. For most people visiting Bangkok TV is not the primary concern so this is a small problem in what is otherwise a great hotel.
Highly recommended especially if you can get a good deal direct or through Agoda. Its not a flash 5 star place but it does everything you need very capably indeed.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be of a similar standard.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Germany
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The design of the hotel is nice - but that's it.

Before arriving I have sent several emails to different email-adresses of the hotel because I had a special request about the room. I did not get any reply. This was not very much promising...

Once we arrived we had a very friendly warm-hearted welcome at the reception: "passport and credit card!" - no smile, no "welcome", even no "hello" or "hi"... very untypical for Thailand.

The room we had was ok, modern design, nothing to complain about it. But: Does it make sense to have only one hook in the bathroom when you have two towels to hang? Not really... Then, is it a proof of environmental consciousness to have used slippers for the guests??? I just find it disgusting. Same goes for the mugs: They have not been replaced after use, just cleaned in the room. There have been stains on the mugs from those who used them before us...

To shower is a nice thing when you travel in a country like Thailand: But to have a shower that always changes between hot - cold - hot - cold is just annoying. And the rain shower was just giving hot water. In the bathroom we had a lot of black long hairs, which shows that the rooms have not been cleaned properly. Instead cleaning staff was shouting from one end of the floor to the other...

Wifi is for free in the hotel. This is a good thing, but "for free" is only a slow wifi (512 kb/s) that is available for you... if you are in need of a faster wifi or if you need to download a lot of datas you have to pay additional charges for a faster connection.

Breakfasts was really ok but staff hardly smile again. But music was so depressing with continuously playing the same thing. And it was extremely noisy: restaurant and lobby are in the same area making the environment even worse. By the way, in the so called "lobby" (similar to bangkok central station) have been only 10 seats for a hotel with more than 150 rooms... very "inviting" atmosphere... and if you sit there you can still enjoy the depressing music... if you can hear it with all the noise there.

But the best was the check-out: Again no "hello" or friendly greeting from the lady, just "room number and credit card!"... By chance the Resident Manager (Sebastien Tronchet) was there and he asked us about our stay. We told him that it was just average. What would have happened in most "good" hotels in this world? The hotel manager would have asked us to have a seat, he would have invited us for a drink and he would have asked us about our experiences. But instead this hotel manager gave us his business card and told us "write me an email". This is really a "true" customer service experience... Wow.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple