All reviewskhao san roadmajor templesno elevatormin walkreceptionist
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed only for one night in Bangkok. Clean, simple room with a bathroom and shower ensuite. There are towels, shampoo, body wash provided (no conditioner or hair dryer), plus a refrigerator in the room and a/c - but no windows. PROS: Convenient location, free WiFi in the room, quiet space and a 24hour front desk - which we needed, since our flight came in at midnight. CONS: There is a horizontal mosaic window (doesn't open) that is pretty, but with all the hallway lights coming in, I found it hard to sleep. It's a little damp within the room, but that's expected in humid Bangkok. It is very tough to find, especially if you're coming in at night. The hotel provided me with a nice map, but I received it 5 days after I wrote them, on the very day we arrived - so it was useless for me. A previous user wrote out good directions which I'll sum up here: head to Democracy Monument, look for the McDonald's, look for a restaurant to the right of it, walk down the alley next to this restaurant which curves to the right - the hotel comes up on the left.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip and we would have been lost without the help of the staff. They were always willing to give us directions, taking the time to explain in detail. The girls at reception were adorable, with a good level of English we had no problems at all with anything we may have needed.

The breakfast is basic but sufficient and the rooms are very clean and spacious.

We were very close to everything, so I would definately recommend this guesthouse.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is my third time staying here now. A couple of years back I stayed here for a few days but now I just stay for two nights or so while passing through Bangkok. The hotel is in a good location at the Democracy monument roundabout. It is far enough away from the tacky Khao San road, but at the same time is close to good restaurants etc. Rooms are clean, serviced daily and in room wifi. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The also will get you a very reliable driver to bring you to Bangkok's airports (Subharnabhumi for around 500 Baht and slightly less for Don Muang). Hotel is still cash only for your bill.
This time I did find the room a bit small compared to previous visits. The room was called a "junior double" and was slightly cheaper than what I've paid in the past. The room had no natural light i.e. windows, which some might find off putting. It still had good aircon. Unfortunately, it was all that was available when I booked.
A tip for first time visitors, when you arrive at the official taxi counter in the arrivals hall at the airport, don't expect them to have heard of this place, but they should know the democracy monument, so either email the hotel for a detailed map or if you dont get one have a print out from google or bing maps of the general area. The democracy monument is marked in Thai on these maps so show it to the driver. The hotel is located up a lane off the north eastern part of the democracy monument roundabout. There is a bar/cafe beside the lane way and facing onto the roundabout called "Sidewalk Cafe" who will show you the way.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Philip771
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two weeks on a whistle stop tour of Thailand in Nov 2012 and we stayed here for our stay in Bangkok (2 nights in total). We loved this place - basic, cheap, clean, great location (5 mins walk to Khao San Road and 20 min walk to the Royal Palace and Wat Po etc) and really lovely, helpful staff.

Firstly, as most of the other travellers have stated - it's hard to find!!

We got the train from the airport into the city and then a taxi to the democracy monument (straight forward). Once you're at the monument, go to the large McDonalds (it's huge, you won't miss it), stand facing McDonalds and look right. You'll see another restaurant about 50m away (across a small road). Walk past this restaurant and immediately turn left down a small alley. The alley curves round to the right and there are a number of buildings along the left hand side of the alley, you'll find the hotel there. If you've been walking for more than a minute after leaving McDonalds you've gone too far.

We got there ealry but we could leave our bags, no problem. The receptionist provided us with maps and information and off we went!

The room was very basic, we didn't even have windows! but for two nights as a place to lay our heads it was perfect - as I said, clean, reasonable size, air conditioned (a must!) and a nice breakfast. The staff were always friendly and very helpful - one of the girls even ran off to find us a taxi to the ariport when we were leavng as we'd left ourselves short of time and she said she could find one faster than us...which she did when she came back in the back seat 5 mins later :-)

A few tips - ask the hotel how much you should pay for a Tuk Tuk to anywhere you're thinking of venturing out to and then haggle as the driver usually started by quoting us double the amount we were told by the hotel.

Don't listen to the Tuk Tuk drivers if they tell you one of the temple's is closed for the afternoon - they're never closed, they just tell you that and then get you to agree to go to some other little temple (they're obviously on commission and they tried it constantly!).

If we ever return to Bangkok then we would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mathew O
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before a long flight home. It's a very short walk to Khao San Road but quietly located. Rooms are very basic but have everything you need and staff were very friendly and helpful

Would stay here again