“Great Spot Close to the Action”

Navalai River Resort
Ranked #36 of 1,158 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Toronto
“Great Spot Close to the Action”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I recently spent two evenings at the Navalai River Resort and was very pleased with my experience. Check in and out was very easy, and the front desk stored our bags for us on our last day as we weren't leaving Bangkok until early evening.
I found the rooms to be very spacious and clean, with excellent air conditioning (which was impossible to find on the rest of our trip). We did experience a small problem with tiny ants in the bathroom, but as soon as I zipped up my toiletries they seemed to disappear. I was very pleased with the overall cleanliness of the whole resort.
The pool and bar area on the roof was excellent, and a great place to relax.
The hotel itself is situated right on the River, and there is actually a ferry pier directly at the hotel - which was amazingly convenient. A few minutes walk will take you to the heart of Khao San Road and Rambuttri - close enough to enjoy easily, but far enough to not be right on top of the noise!
Due to the Cleanliness and Location I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Navalai again in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah S
Jimmy R, Manager at Navalai River Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear TOgirl47,

Thank you so much for your nice comments for our hotel, we are so delighted to know that you enjoyed staying with us.
And once again thank you & we are looking forward to welcome you on your next visit to Navalai River Resort .

Kindly Regards
Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Matsusaka, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Navalai is situated very close to the grand palace of Bangkok, on the banks of the Chao Phraya river; which is why after seeing the stunning photos on Agoda, I selected to spend the last night of my honeymoon there.

On arrival, my wife and I checked in at the beautiful lobby, and proceeded up the room above. On leaving the elevator, I was already surprised that the corridors to the room were not as beautiful as I had expected, but hey... it's a corridor right.

Then on arriving at my room, we were again disappointed that the river view room we had was not what we had expected in terms of the luxurious finishes we had expected. Now disappointed, I decided to look at the pictures I had seen earlier to find out whether it was simply my perception that was in some way exaggerated. On reviewing the pictures, I saw that the general image of the room was the same, however the teak or oak cupboard was now some light coloured wood (or something cheaper); the bed itself had splinters running along the edge, and the dark wooden floors from the images were in fact light laminated flooring, and there was a strange discoloration on a section of the wall.

I decided that I wanted the last night of my honeymoon to be what I had imagined, a night of luxury and not simply settle, so I went within 20 mins of my arrival to check out. They offered to give me a better room, but I said thank you but no thank you, no offense, but it's not just the room but the whole place that is not living up to expectation. I apologise, but I would like to leave.

What followed was a 2 hour discussion with management whereby:
- The lobby manager said they would cancel the booking if Agoda would cancel their booking
- I phoned Agoda, who said that they could not cancel because Navalai would not waive their claim
- I went back to the lobby manager who said that Agoda had called, and that they wanted to help, but Agoda would not let them cancel.
- The floor manager called the regional manager (or whatever) and he explained that they could not cancel, and would I rather not just accept the better room that was offered?
- I said no thanks.
- Eventually the regional manager was kind enough to call Agoda with me, which I really appreciated, and then when the managers spoke to Agoda with me in the room, Navalai said that they could not release the booking because it would be cancelled within the 1 day period in which bookings are not cancellable by hotel policy.
- Agoda had to yield to the policy of the hotel

So after 2 hours, I said to the hotel management, as I had said earlier, that if there's nothing that can be done to help the misunderstand, then so be it; but after insisting that they wanted to help for 2 hours, they were unwilling to help... so why waste 2 hours of the last day of my honeymoon?!? I expressed that they had violated their integrity by delaying me and by telling me they could help, when they would not help. They accepted this criticism gracefully.

In the end I paid three-times as much as I paid to Navalai not-to-stay at Navalai. Instead we stayed at the Four Seasons and had a wonderful evening.

My advice is rather go to the Bangkok Loft Inn, there you'll have a smaller room, pay half the price or less and get the same level of comfort as Navalai (if not more); but I'll admit, then you won't be right in the center of town. :( Take the train.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Eric M
Jimmy R, Manager at Navalai River Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Dear ericmclachlan,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor your comments are all important for us to consider.

First of all, we would like to apologize that your experience you have been received during your short stay with us does not meet your expectation. However we will improve on that.
And for your information,our 74 stylish rooms are designed and decorated into four totally different way such as Artist theme, Thai lifestyle theme, Colonial influenced theme and Rattanakosin heritage theme, so that no matter how many times you come back to visit us, you can always experience something different.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

Georgetown
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel is ok, ok rooms, ok rooftop pool and good location. And that is pretty much it. It is hugely overcharged, the breakfast is really awful and the rooms are small.
Not all staff is rude, some are ok (not so friendly that you actually feel welcome, but ok) but some are rude. I remember this really rude girl at reception. She said her name was Job. Usually she was applying her make up at the reception counter, when I dared to ask her a question she gave me a short answer. I was clearly interupting her from something truly important. She could not help me anyway, someone else could but that person was not in. I had to come back tommorrow and ask myself. I asked her if she could sent this lady a message. Now she got angry. She said no she could not, I had to come back. I asked her to write down the name of this lady and her own name. She wrote down 2 first names only. I asked her for the other ladies last name, she said she did not know because she just started working here. when I asked her for her own last name she said it was not necessary, everybody knew her. When I reminded her that that was strange since she was new here she decided not to talk to me any longer and started a conversation with someone else.
This is just one example.
Even if this girl did not work her I would not go here again. They simple charge to much for what they offer.

Room Tip: Room on the street are noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Jimmy R, Manager at Navalai River Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear…………,

First of all, we would like to apologize that some experience you have been received during your stay with us does not meet your expectation. However we will improve on that.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. We will still appreciate to have another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

The perfect place to celebrate a birthday in the hearth of Bangkok. we really enjoy the river view and life for 3 days
The swimming pool on the roof garden is good enough for swim but infortunatly without drinks.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mukketta
Jimmy R, Manager at Navalai River Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear mukketta,

Thank for posting your feedback of Navalai River Resort on TripAdvisor and we appreciate your kind comments. We are happy to read that you enjoyed with the room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Gloucestershire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights & found it very comfy, & in a great position with the jetty directly outside to get places.
Cons - its not near the shopping areas or the sky train, but it is so easy, either by river or tuk tuk to get anywhere that I don't see that as a serious problem.
Pro's - helpful staff, comfy rooms, including a safe, comfy beds & a good shower. Nice breakfast, lovely patio/restaurant area, & the rooftop pool was lovely to cool off in the late afternoon (also great to watch over all the comings & goings on the river), with a nice bar, & towels provided. The check in & out process was also easy & quick & the staff very friendly & helpful.
There are masses of street vendors & small restaurants right outside the hotel, & a 7/11 immediately next door so you can buy water, toiletries etc easily. If you turn right out of the front of the hotel, cross over (be careful!) & turn left you go into the market area where you can get amazing Thai massages for B300 (about £7.50) for an hour - don't be afraid to try them, they're great. There's also loads more food stalls & little bars & restaurants - we found them all to be clean, friendly & very good.
I found it fascinating watching the river traffic - which in true Bangkok style is just bonkers sometimes.
The Navalai is a great base for exploring - the express ferries stop right outside the hotel every 10 minutes or so. To go to the Grand Palace or Wat Pho is 4 or 5 stops & cost B30 for 2 of us - about 80p! You get tickets from the 'conductor' on board so don't buy any tickets on the jetty & don't bother catching the tourist boat. The express ferries are supposed to use a coloured flag system, orange ones, blue ones & yellow ones - all stopping at different quays - but we never worked that out - they all seemed to stop everywhere!
Overall, we will definitely use the Navalai as our base next time we visit Bangkok.

Room Tip: We had a side room which looked down over the carp, but you could get a river view at the front - we...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Jimmy R, Manager at Navalai River Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Ducatibabe,

Thank you very for having taken the time to share your experience about Navalai River Resort at Tripadvisor. We were very delighted to read that you have enjoyed the service, customer relation and friendliness of all of our staff and I shall certainly congratulate them personally. It was also gratifying to read your other comments about the property.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to the pleasure of your next visit in Bangkok.