“The CHEAPEST hostel you can find in Silom Road.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of HQ Hostel Silom

HQ Hostel Silom
Ranked #114 of 1,129 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
“The CHEAPEST hostel you can find in Silom Road.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at HQ for 2 days during our stay in Bangkok last January 2012. We had a blast! The cleanest and the cheapest (as far as we know) hostel you can find in Silom Road. Its awesome location made it very accessible for taxis, train stations, restaurants, street foods, grocery stores, night market and anything you can think of. I would definitely suggest staying there for as long as you want, they've got everything you need. Safe and secure establishment, free wifi 24/7, they even have an extra PC for you to use. You can watch tv all you want, play PS3 games and watch movies. Now that's what I call a hostel! Thank you Good for your warm welcome, we'll surely go back in HQ hostel, very soon!

Room Tip: You should pick at least the lower bunk if you'd wanna go for bunk beds!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Convenience - check! Cleanliness - check! Comfort - check! This modern yet cozy hostel really did add to the good times we spent in Bangkok. What we loved most was their location which gave us the easiest access to the city's hot spots and attractions c/o their close proximity to transportation (BTS Skytrain-Sala Daeng & Chong Nonsi Stations, MRT-Silom Station) and convenient walking distances to many entertainment, food and dining options. This was especially perfect for us as we were backpacking on tight budgets. Their staff was also helpful, accommodating and knew basic English. We got the chance to sleep in one of their 6-bed dorm rooms and it was a pleasant experience (despite the power cut-offs which we hope were just temporary). Shared unisex bathrooms on every floor were also well-maintained. We also loved their media center and library as we were suckers for information and they had tons of those! Guests are also provided with FREE wi-fi internet access, laundry services, luggage storage services as well as arrange tour assistance. We'd definitely go back if we find ourselves in Bangkok again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Izi_IceCream
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Thought I try staying at a hostel. The website looks good and promising. After a tiring train journey from the airport and searching for the hostel, I was expecting some warmth and friendliness. Instead, the reception staff was polite and business-like.

The room was already occupied by other guests. So it wasn't exactly tidy. There were luggages, pieces of clothes and other stuff. But my bunk remained quite pristine. The locker (or should I say drawer?) were ridiculously small. I don't think I could fit in my laptop computer and DSLR camera in there.

While I have stayed in hostels before, it was usually with friends. Some of the hostels that I stayed had big padlocked lockers for my backpack. Unfortunately, HQ Hostel does not provide big lockers and locks for the dorms.

The unisex toilet and bathroom were indeed clean and 'modern'. Towels were available for rent at the reception. It was big and fluffy.

Since security was a big issue for me, I checked out of the hostel the next day and checked into a boutique hotel nearby. Apart from my laptop computer and DSLR camera, I carried some considerable cash which I don't feel comfortable leaving behind in the room with strangers.

Will I come back? Most likely not. I don't felt welcomed by the reception staff. The lack of adequate storage space was also a major concern for me. If you're unlike me, this hostel may be right for you. The location was quite good and the hostel was generally clean.

As for me, it's hotels not hostels from now on.

Room Tip: Choose a room according to your temperament.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank zulz
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Really lovely hostel - the dorms were a bit short on floor space but the rooms and bathrooms were modern and clean and the communal areas were spacious with plenty to keep you occupied. The staff were really helpful and friendly. A bit out of the way for cheap drinking and eating, but well located for shopping and getting around the city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank franib261
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Not the most lively of places but if want a couple of nights in a clean, friendly, comfortable hostel this is the place. Handy for the MRT and BTS ( Skytrain ). Good area for loads of cheap street food, night markets and shops.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo