“Avoid the yoga drop-in at all cost ”
Review of Om Family

Om Family
Ranked #29 of 43 Spas & Wellness in Pokhara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Worst yoga class I've experienced in my life, coming from London with years of practice across different styles and numerous teachers. Don't waste your money or time.

My friend and I were looking for a Hatha drop-in and were drawn in by the big blackboard sign and trendy looking café downstairs. Don't be fooled.

We were warned by reception to book early in the day to reserve our spots but ended up being the only ones in the 5pm class. The 'teacher' sauntered in and didn't acknowledge us. With her eyes closed, she started the lesson without asking us about any injuries or our prior experience.

The instruction was exceptionally light, missing basic cues. She would tell us to hold a pose for 5 breath counts but would move on to the next asana after 2.

She couldn't mirror actions, regularly got her left and right mixed up and didn't know the names of poses. She would forget to complete sequences on both sides.

If my friend and I didn't follow a pose, she wouldn't notice as she wasn't observing us. Opening her eyes would have helped. It felt like she was doing her own thing and we just happened to be in the same room as her. She didn't offer adaptations nor asked us why we weren't doing certain movements.

Her own form and alignment was very poor. Her spine was collapsed in triangle, she leant onto the wall to get into tree and fell over a couple of times when coming out of lunge.

At the end of practice, she left the room without acknowledging or looking at us. My friend thanked her and she didn't respond. I've never felt more awkward or less welcome in a yoga class, which is the antithesis of what it's about.

Out of principle, I decided to ask for a refund and was met with aggression and told I should have behaved differently, that I should have walked out of the class. I explained that I was hoping it would improve and only decided to ask for a refund at the end of the class, and that I shouldn't be having to tell a teacher how to do her job. I doubt whether the instructor had any professional qualifications whatsoever -- I asked her, and her answer didn't fill me with confidence. They finally agreed to a refund but rudely and loudly shooed us out.

Priced at 750rp, that's an expensive class for Pokhara / Nepal. Don't spend it here.

1  Thank LondonCrumpet
"knowledge"
"massage"
"life"

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I did a Hatha yoga class at Om Family and I honestly believe it was the worst class in my 8 years of daily practice. I don’t often write reviews, but I felt I needed to given the positive reviews that brought me to this place.

The teacher was impersonal and didn’t interact at all with the students before, during, or after class. The sequencing was illogical, poorly conceived and executed. She also forgot on multiple occasions to complete the same poses on the other side. Her cues were either wrong, incomplete, badly pronounced, or she simply wasn’t using the right names for poses (e.g. upward dog vs cobra). She was also doing poses I have never seen in yoga (i.e. not yoga poses); poses that put undue stress on the knees and could cause injury to beginners. She kept cuing us to complete five breaths in the poses, but only gave time for two. She also left us in an abnormally long savasana at the end of class while she was vigorously stretching her hips.

Frankly, I would be surprised if she had an actual yoga teacher certification. Perhaps as a complete beginner, these classes would suffice as a light stretch after a long trek. However, I would be worried that it would put off prospective students from yoga altogether. Lastly, a class is 750 rupees (a really good meal, or double the price of a haircut), and in my humble opinion, definitely not worth it.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

The time I spent at Om Family has been a truly profound learning experience for me. I cannot feel more happy, grateful and thankful to have found Sunil and Om Family. Sunil is a fabulous and professional teacher and healer, my master and friend now. I took a 7 day Sat-Chit-Ananda program which has definitely opened my mind and body to go deeper in my spiritual path. Sunil did several healing work on me and taught me a lot of techniques so I have now my own tools to keep going on with my everyday life. Ma Avya is also a very good yoga teacher and she was so comprehensive with my own needs. Overall I feel so happy to have been in your hands for my healing. THANK YOU, LOVE AND BLISS UNCONDITIONALLY

Reviewed 7 November 2017

i had been suffering more than somewhat from over exertion , walkingwalkingwalking. i booked an hour and a half Deep Tissue Massage with the Om Family . It was a very chill experience right from the start ... The Massage Room was delightful , there was some beautiful music playing . The massage was really intense . this Lady had intuition , very strong hands and a lot of experience . She got right into the core of my fatigue . She used some Reiki techniques on me too - there was heat and deep release . At the end - I had no idea how long I had been there . The last phase was Scalp ..... very very good . Would recommend this establishment to anybody . they do a whole range of things ....if their Massage is any guideline I bet they are really great .... book ahead ...popular