Hotel Shanker(Kathmandu)
USD 25
Free cancellation until 25/07
USD 61
  • Breakfast included
Kathmandu Boutique Hotel(Kathmandu)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
Radisson
USD 138
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 155/night.

USD 164
USD 153
  • Pool
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
USD 183
USD 145
Priceline
All reviewsbuddhist nunnerydaily lifeshort walkclean roomsquiet placeno hot waterstayed herenunspujastekpractitionerschantsspiritualguesthouseretreatcontemplationsupermarket
Reviewed 20 February 2018

It was amazing staying at the guesthouse. First and foremost, people here are very friendly, the staff as well as the nuns. Everyone was very helpful whenever I asked for help or guidance regarding anything.

Food: Being a Scandinavian having issues with too spicy food, it was wonderful to find that Jacek makes a big breakfast buffee for palets of all kinds. The people I talked to there often said that this was the meal of the day, and they knew that at least one of their meals would be good and nutritous.

Nunnery: The pujas were open for the guests of the guesthouse to join. I found it very amazing that they just open up their practices like this for others to participate in. They would often give tea and a piece of fruit or biscuits for the people attending; the generousity is very touching. Also there was a French-Canadian woman staying there who had taken a PhD in some subject within Buddhism. She had classes on this strain of Buddhism every Friday, which would also be focused on meditation as well as singing some of the songs of Khenpo Rinpoche and this lineage. It was wonderful being able to learn what this lineage and this strand of Buddhism was about, making it a very warm experience and very easy to understand. Now, meeting Khenpo Rinpoche of this nunnery was a very touching experience and beyond words, so the only thing I'll write about this is: If you get the chance, meet him, be open and let it do what it does. Also, Khenpo doesn't do talks anymore, and on one of the last nights we were here, the French-Canandian teacher took initiative to play a video of one of his talks on a big screen in the nunnery. This gathered together a big crowd of nuns and a smaller crowd of guests, and it was quite amazing. As far as I understood, this was something they would start doing regularly, which I think is a wonderful initiative.

I wasn't sure whether to choose 4 or 5 stars, as there were also some inconveniences. I had to change rooms as there was no hot water in the first room I got, and in the second room there was only hot water 1/3 of the days. Also the electricity was out almost an entire day, and it switched off and on frequently during the stay. However, I'm thinking that this might be something that would happen most places in Kathmandu, so I choose to view it as part of visiting Kathmandu.

The only things I do think would be good to be mindful of:
- The guesthouse doesn't accept credit cards, only cash, which would've been great to know in advance.
- You can get your clothes washed, have dinner in the nunnery etc. for additional fees. I got the impression that the staff kept track of these things (as they wrote these things down), but as I was checking out, I realized that they hadn't kept track of it. Luckily I had written everything down myself, so I think it's beneficial to do this.
- We were told that the staff had booked a taxi for us - one of their regular drivers that we saw almost everyday coming in - when we were going to the airport. We asked several times to make sure, as we had to leave the guesthouse at 5.30 AM, and we knew that if the taxi wasn't here, it was likely that we wouldn't be able to get there. We were even given the number and name of the driver that the staff said they had called. As he wasn't there the next morning, we had one of the nuns call the driver, and he said he had heard nothing about it. Another taxi driver was called, but we were told that no one wanted to come because it was too early in the morning. The driver of the guesthouse were told to drive us, which was great, but we were charged double the amount of what it would've cost us for a taxi. As this was a mistake made by the staff of the guesthouse, I do think it would've been most reasonable to charge us the same as we would've been for a taxi.

Ending this review, I must emphasize how much thinking back on it makes me miss it. I have quite a strong feeling that I will go there again someday. Amazing teachings, teachers, atmosphere, and an amazing job done by Jacek and all the people that are helping him make this guesthouse a great place to be.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2017

I had a wonderful contemplative time staying at Don Drub Guesthouse where I became inspired by the spiritually charged atmosphere of the adjoining nunnery.

Dondrub Guesthouse offers a truly unique opportunity to follow the daily life of an active nunnery at close quarters.

In addition to that, the guesthouse is clean, friendly well run and very reasonably priced.

It is situated within the vibrant Tibetan Buddhist community around the world famous Bodhanath Stupa.

I really enjoyed it and am returning again for a longer stay this year!

Room Tip: A sunny room is preferable in the winter time
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank anneY9286TE
Reviewed 1 December 2017

It was such a warm caring atmosphere it was hard to leave. Nice rooms, very friendly team,quiet place close to the stupa...... Definitely we will try to get a room again at our next visit to Kathmandu. Warmly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank peter johannes H
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Dondrup guesthouse provides a quite and peaceful retreat from the dust and noise of Kathmandu yet only a relatively short walk to the Stupa. Our room was clean and comfortable with plenty of hot water, breakfast is really good and the staff couldn't do more for guests if they tried. Being attached to a nunnery is an added advantage (for us), providing insight into everyday life. One of the nuns escorted us on a day trip to Parping adding immeasurably to the day. Many thanks to everyone at Dondrup. We would highly recommend a stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelmad333
Reviewed 27 October 2017

I almost never write reviews. I was asked to write this one, and honestly I couldn't refuse.
Very good and clean rooms, incredible breakfast, kindest people, most authentic atmosphere close to a monastery.
This is the best value ever, especially for Nepal. And we are not talking money only, but human relationship and people really caring.
I hope this review helps Dondrub, because they really deserve it.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple