“Royal Enfields to Mustang”

Wild Tracks Nepal - Himalayan Motorcycle Journeys
Ranked #488 of 1,105 Tours in Kathmandu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: WILD TRACKS offers specialized motorcycle tour in the Himalayas on Classic Royal Enfield bikes with special focus on private adventurous groups. WILD TRACKS offers tours in Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan and some parts of India. All tours are lead by passionate rider, photographer and owner of WILD TRACKS Sherap Sherpa.
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Beep-beep.....Toot-toot.....Tee-too-tee

These are the sounds that greet you while fighting your way through the crazy traffic in and out of Kathmandu. They are replaced by the tranquillity of turquoise rivers and snow-capped mountains in the distance and hills covered in lush vegetation - and of course friendly villagers, as well as a dog or two chasing the bikes!

My boyfriend and I did the "Road to Mustang" trip on two Royal Enfield motorbikes. We were accompanied by our excellent tour guide, Sonam, and mechanic Raju.
Our first night was spent in a luxurious new hotel in Pokhara. From day 2 onwards we exchanged tar roads for the more adventurous dusty ones. There was sand...and more sand, and huge rocks, uphills and downhills, and hairpin curves with a combination of all those mentioned, but never far from beautiful vistas of the Annapurna mountains and rivers with suspension bridges adorned with colourful prayer flags.

In Tatopani we could already sense we were entering the remoter parts of Nepal, and stopping over for lunch in Kalopani made us realise we were finally living our dream of riding in Mustang. We travelled all the way up to Muktinath (3800m and well above tree-line) and were surrounded by snowy mountains, gravel roads, and colourful houses. Seeing all the colourful yak wool shawls and ladies busy weaving them, we couldn't help but stop and buy gifts to take home. By now the temperature was also well below zero. However, we always had the comfort of hearty Nepali dishes
or Western food like pizzas and pastas or burgers to choose from. We also had the privilege of free wifi at the lodges we stayed in, to send pictures to our friends and families back home in South Africa.

In every village we were always greeted by curious, sometimes shy, laughing children - Muktinath, Marpha, Jomsom,and Kalopani especially. Books and colourful pens, socks and neck warmers (buffs) are welcome gifts for these young children.

Reaching the outskirts of Kathmandu again after 8 days of riding made us want to turn back. We will most definitely return to Nepal, to ride Upper Mustang and more.

Arie and Brigitte

in 2 reviews
"nepal"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2015

I recently went on a day tour round the hills above Kathmandu and had such a fantastic day!
Sherap is a great guide and all round lovely man, he is very knowledgeable about his country, people and their customs and relays this in an articulate way. We stopped at a monastery to look around and he translated all my questions to the monks and their answers impeccably.
I was riding his Honda XR 400 dirt bike which was sublime on the rough tracks! He didn't mind my over enthusiastic riding, letting me go off ahead and waiting when the way became unclear.
I would recommend Wild Tracks to anyone who loves to ride motorcycles be it for a day tour like I did or one of his longer trips. The experience was so great I am currently planning to go on a longer trip with him.

1  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed 3 April 2015 via mobile

Sherap Sherpa provides a great tour. The bike i rode was a Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo 500. It was a great bike. Barely skipped a beat (broke a clutch cable on day 2 but was easily fixed by Sherap).

The hotels we stayed in were great. Very clean, great service. We travelled from kathmandu to gorkha, bandipur, tansen, pokhora, lumbini, chitwan and back to kathmandu.

Lunch on the road was one of the highlights. Eating at various roadhouses along the way. Mainly eating dahl bhat but also going for great momo in pokhora aswell as pork BBQ.

Sherap is a true enthusiast of enfields, nepali cuisine and most nepali culture. He's very friendly and i can't wait to start organising my next tour with him.

2  Thank Josh R
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Without question, the two day motorcycle trip to Jiri was one of greatest weekend adventures I have expeienced. While the traffic patterns were a bit challenging in Katmandu, Sherap expertly guided me thru the city and into the country, focusing on safety, but providing excellent commentary on Nepal's culture, landscape, people, and riding technques.
Not only did I enjoy the road to Jiri, which was stunningly scenic, the countless stops for tea, snacks, butI really enjoyed riding with Sherap, most defintely one of the most likeble, intelligent people I ever met.
Would go back without hesitation to ride wih Sherap again.

1  Thank blacklabby
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 October 2014

This is not a trip for mum and the kids

It is really one big advernture if you like going back two hundred years or more
Seeing how people live on the side of 25000 foot mountains
Takeing some old designed English road bike on tracks that would test a KTM trail bike

This guy Sherap makes it safe, he makes it very do able. He sorts you out with a good bed and a cold beer. And fixs you bike when you have bent it

But be warned you will need a week to recover
It is not a easy ride but you will be very hard pressed to find a more astonishing place

1  Thank PaulM5043TU