All reviews cleaned every day garden area quiet haven carved wood walking distance from thamel breakfast was included the hustle and bustle busy streets of thamel first floor old wing internet access rooms are clean an oasis hotel is situated plenty of hot water kathmandu valley quiet at night
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Guest house is within walking distance of Thamel. From the outside it looks like a building in the old Nepali style. Inside is drab. The front desk people need to be trained in guest relations. Very rough around the edges. The rooms are incredibly plain. For those of you who like air conditioning (not always needed in Kathmandu) then you might be out of luck. I didn't ask for it but I didn't see any rooms that had it. None of my friends' rooms did. A redeeming quality is the garden but it's a bit too small. The staff at the restaurant is downright rude. The availability of water was hit or miss and then getting the shower to work properly was another story. Always ask for a room not facing the street. The rooms facing the garden are quieter. Too bad my usual place was booked or I would have stayed there. The room prices are a bit high for this caliber of hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the street. High up.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The hotel is well located in Thamel, just a short walk from the shops and away from street and entertainment noise. We stayed 4 nights over 2 stays.
We had a suite on the third floor and the extra space was appreciated. The furniture was old and fairly impractical but the king bed was firm and comfortable. The room had a reverse cycle heater/cooler but with power off for most of the day it got a little cold in the room until the generator kicked in at about 6.30pm. Lack of reliable power is an issue throughout Nepal. There was a large walk in wardrobe room and the bathroom was quite adequate apart from a chunky sliding door with a frosted glass window, so opening the door was very noisy and privacy compromised. We had to run the water for a long time to get it to warm up but eventually it did. Toiletries were just a couple of small bars of soap and a hair dryer was not available at reception.
Service was very basic. The reception staff looked too cold to warm to helping with a request and were unable to assist with much. One morning I had laundry but the reception said there was no laundry service that day, which was quite strange. Fortunately there is a rather nice and under-utilised rooftop so I hand washed and hung clothes to dry while reading in sun.
The restaurant was very dark and the tablecloths dirty. The food unprofessionally prepared and served. Lighting in communal areas was by a few low voltage bulbs that were not helped by the dark timber moldings. What could have been atmospheric with decent lighting was just dingy. Staff and guests sat around rugged up for the cold (it seemed warmer outside).
The hotel allows smoking wherever smokers want to so you are dependent on others exercising good manners. Our room fortunately did not smell of smoke.
Breakfast was very ordinary with hard and inedible croissants and muffins. The tables are set around a grass square and even on a chilly morning it was better than being inside. I did not find this area particularly attractive or inviting.
We did return after 3 nights in Pokhara and the room we tried to reserve on the roof (Room 601) was not available and we were told we would have to move for 2nd night. It took some discussion before we were allowed to stay in the room allocated.
Although in a quiet residential area, the unrestrained dog barking can be very intrusive, so take ear plugs.
Until they employ professional friendly staff, put in a few more light globes, wash the linen and get the ashtrays outside, I would not stay here again nor recommend it.

Room Tip: Room on rooftop
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara102
Reviewed 22 March 2012

OK, it may be legal in Nepal to smoke anywhere, but it just goes to show how 3rd world they are. That's ok because it takes time to develop laws that the 1st world have adopted some time ago like in Australia and the EU. But what is amazing that people from 1st world countries come to places such as Nepal and then show their complete and utter disregard for other people by smoking anywhere including inside the rooms. These people are disgusting PIGS because they do what they can't do in their home countries. It makes a bad experience for non-smokers. We thought we had got rid of these inconsiderate PIGS. I run tours and it is not possible for me to recommend this Guest House because they allow smoking on the property and in the rooms. Sorry, International Guest House, but I can't bring my customers to your hotel until you inforce a NO SMOKING POLICY.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank PhotoAdvenTours
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I've stayed lots of times here and I enjoy it for it's interesting architecture, lovely back garden and pleasant comfy rooms. It is full of interesting artifacts which have been collected over many years by it's owner. Reasonably priced accomdation, good breakfasts and friendly staff. However, the rooms near to the busy lanes can be very noisy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the garden at the back.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is a great place to stay in Thamel; convenient, reasonable and generally very pleasant. The staff were helpful and informative.
Our room was spacious and clean and the bathroom was something else - the best we had had in Nepal.
good roof-top restaurant.food in the restaurant was excellent and we ate there both nights. Breakfast was acceptable and reasonable

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends