All reviews per night monastery bouddha npr bathroom garden nepal
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I found Lotus to be quite nice. The rooms are cleaned daily, the Lama that runs the place speaks good English, and his assistant does as well. He's also just a really nice guy! I've been able to get every question answered, and every request fulfilled. Of course there is a lot of noise from the chanting and drums, but you get used to it quickly. I haven't had a problem in the three weeks I've been here. I chose to say here because with the exception of the Monastery, it's quiet. It's also cheap! I would definitely come back here!

Room tip: The shared bathrooms are well kept and always clean, so taking a room without an attached W/C should be a possibility as it's cheaper.
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Joshua_Sisco
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed at Lotus Guesthouse for 2 nights. The best part about Lotus Guest House was the location. It's located in Bouddha only a short walk from Bodhnath stupa, but very quiet and peaceful. It is next to a monastery from which I heard the chanting and music early in the morning, but didn't really bother me and I thought added to the lovely atmosphere. The rooms are positioned around a sunny courtyard garden. The room I had was basic with some mould on the walls, but it had a private bathroom with hot water and was better than I was expecting for only AUD$5 per night. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank sierrana7
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Looking over a beautiful little courtyard, this guesthouse is a peaceful place to relax. The rooms are very simple, but clean. I much preferred staying in Bouddha than Thamel. You can expect an early wake up from the monastery next door :-P

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank jackd88
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had 2 rooms for 2 weeks, 1 en-suite and 1 without bathroom. Central but lovely location with garden to relax in. Staff were always friendly and accessible through a phone at the desk. There was no evidence whatsoever of any bugs or cockroaches in either room, a HUGE plus. We were given a mosquito repellent to put in the socket by staff. Windows are insect proof and can be left opened during the day safely, no cat would fit through the netting ;). If you prefer to sleep through morning prayers at the adjacent monastery - take earplugs. The water is heated by solar panels - no sun no hot water. Electricity and wi-fi come and go as they do elsewhere in Kathmandu. I would have preferred our room a bit cleaner and will next time choose a room without bathroom or carpet. All in all a good place to stay in Boudha.

Room tip: choose a room without carpet or bathroom
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank HappyGreen2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were on the run from a certain guesthouse up the road which was infested with giant cockroaches, and took the advice in Lonely Planet, deciding to take a chance on the recommended Lotus Guesthouse. Our double room with bathroom was indeed a simple one, much as BallardBeaver writes about his room, but smelled of mold. Still, we liked the place, and felt this was a good move. We were wrong.

Yes, the monks indeed start crashing their cymbals and blowing their horns at 4:45. It was charming the first couple of mornings, but after a while, combined with the midnight wailings of two cats who adopted the guesthouse grounds, your nerves become frayed. But this was nothing compared to a number of discoveries which unfolded as time went by.

During our stay, a number of our belongings grew mold by just existing in the room: a leather wallet, a nylon toiletry bag, the strap of a suitcase. This lead us to leave the windows open night and day— a grave mistake. One day, upon entering the room, we discovered a turd on one of the beds. A turd. It seemed cat-sized, which led us to believe that one of the wailers from our sleepless nights had crawled into the room while we were away, and relieved itself. After complaining to an apathetic staff member (manager?), we were moved to another room, where further discoveries were to be made.

We had a growing collection of insect bites on our torsos and legs, which seemed to have erupted during the night. While folding one of the comforters, we found a bedbug— it was just one however, and though we were hopeful, we suspected these creatures seldom travel solo.

The staff was apathetic and often hard to find. When asked for fresh towels, or the reason for the internet connection's frequent disappearance, we were made to feel that we were a nuisance. Hot water was not always available, and one day, while looking out the window, we spied a staff member carrying a mattress with what appeared to be a fairly large bloodstain over to a room, which he then flipped over to hide the stain, and made the bed as normal.

I really don't know what else to say. We stayed because it was cheap and seemed relatively normal in comparison to where we were, but never again.

(Also the photo above does not seem to be from Lotus Guesthouse)

Room tip: Watch out for those cats!
Date of stay: July 2013