“Great food and cultural experience”

Thamel House Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 918 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Price range: USD 1 - USD 15
Cuisines: Nepalese
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2015

We had a great dinner at Thamel House Restaurant. They have delicious chicken momos. Our dining partners ordered the full tasting menu and loved it. There were dancers and music to enjoy while we dined. Great service. Very friendly staff. Nice outdoor courtyard to sit in..by candlelight- it was very romantic.

Reviewed 29 November 2015

Right in the heart of the Thamel district, this restaurant was just down the street from my hotel, the Gaju Suite. Exceptionally cheap for the amount of food provided, particularly in regard to US costs, the food was terrific and the staff was pleasant accommodating. I sat in their very peaceful courtyard for 2 hours just drinking coffee and having an early dinner before my evening flight and they were more than happy to have me. Fresh, delicious food. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

I came here for an early dinner one night. The restaurant had been recommended to me for their set vegetarian menu which sounded like a good sampling of Nepali cuisine. Walking in the front door around 5 PM was early, but a greeter seated us quickly. There were no other diners when we arrived, but within minutes other groups began to come in. I opted for the 11 item set vegetarian course, and was not disappointed. The wait staff did not make me feel rushed, and brought out each course at the right time. One item not on the menu is an alcoholic drink called Raksi. It's basically a moonshine made with millet or rice and is unbelievably potent. They only serve a small bit during the appetizer course, but it has an interesting flavor and was worth mentioning.

The food was tasty, and the main course came on a single large platter with a huge ball of rice in the center. If you happen to be one of those people that doesn't like you food touching I would suggest skipping this meal. All the items came with a second helping, and I gladly accepted a second helping on a few items. My personal favorites were the paneer and mushroom curry, the dessert was also delicious.

This was a nice find, and worth a look if you happen to be in Thamel and want a traditional dinner. I have included a picture of the set menu.

Reviewed 21 November 2015

We ate here one evening and had good Nepali food and service. The restaurant is very pleasant. There was some dancing on stage which was quite interesting and kept us entertained while we waited for our food.

Reviewed 12 November 2015 via mobile

Well - we were pulled in by the delightful entrance and a glimpse of a 4.5 star rating Trip Advisor certificate prominently displayed. It is a delightful atmospheric setting and the staff were nice enough after a slightly dismissive start. The food was OK, not great and quite small portions. We were 'treated' to 3 tacky musical dance displays including a man dressed as a yeti - groan. You'll get much better value elsewhere.