Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
GlobetrotterGgn

'Rotten Apple', the core is absolutely rotten!!

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 June 2024
I had booked a Classic King Room at Le Meridien, Thimpu for 03 nights from 07-10 June 2024. I called up the ‘Reservations’ at the property in May 2024, seeking an upgrade to Deluxe King Room. I let them know that I was even willing to pay for the upgrade. I was assured by them that once I check-in, the upgrade would be done free of cost. I reached the property at 7.30 PM on 07th June, and sought the promised upgrade, I was informed that the upgrade is only possible on 09-10 June night since, all rooms are fully booked. Later on, I came to know that the occupancy was only 25 rooms at that point of time, of the total 78 rooms that the property has.

The only upgrade option that was offered to me was a ‘Junior Suite’ wherein, I needed to pay extra USD 100+10% BST+10% SC @INR 81.74 per USD. I readily agreed.

The accommodation was booked through the Marriott Bonvoy App with my MasterCard as guarantee. As I proffered the card for paying for the rooms for 03 nights; the Front Office Manager, ‘Ms Ngawang Choden’ let me know that this card is not valid since, all payments in Bhutan are barred by MasterCard. I then proffered a Visa Card, same result. I then requested her to suggest a method through which, I could pay since, I only had these cards on my person and did not have sufficient cash, either in the local currency or INR. She just shrugged and let me know, it was my problem. And she further insisted that unless I pay up for the rooms upfront, I will not be allowed to check-in.

Just then the ‘Director of Sales’, Mr. Samir Soni walked up to understand the issue. I narrated the whole experience thus far, also mentioned in passing that my daughter is ‘Director of Sales - Corporate & Leisure’ too, in an upmarket Marriott property at Doha. All he had to say with regard to my plight, ‘thank you for the feedback’.
Finally, a young, smart and an absolute ‘go-getter’ Front Office Associate, Ms. Karma Choki walked up to me and with a finality in her voice, let me know that they would sort out the payment issue later; for now, I need to go to my room since, she could fathom that I was rather washed out with this ordeal.

She came along with me and rather patiently explained all the amenities available and the timings thereto. I wanted to know her antecedents and that of the ‘Front Office Manager’ since, the difference in attitude was so apparent. She let me know that she has worked in ‘Four Seasons’ at Maldives and ‘Grand Hyatt’ at Goa and the Front Office Manager has been working in the same property for the last 8-9 years. Ms. Nwagang was a ‘promotee’, as I figured out!

Wanting to relax finally, I put a bottle of wine to chill in the mini-fridge and went for a shower. Sat down to pour the drink. The bottle was warm. The mini-fridge was dysfunctional. The Technician who attended to my distress call was extremely apologetic and when nothing worked, he lifted the mini-fridge and got a replacement. I could only make do with 'warm wine' that evening. As though, this was not enough, the mattress was lumpy and pillow provided had no head support.

Next morning, there was still no solution about the payment issue. I was following a pre-decided itinerary. Got back late evening and after a shower switched on the TV to check on the political developments in India. Soon, the TV switched off. This time there was a different Technician and after trying everything, he let me know that the TV Remote has conked off and will need to be replaced!

On 09th June, I was scheduled to go to Punakha, so got back rather late. Was looking forward to a shower and a clean bed. Found the room undone. On calling the Front Office, found the same ‘Ms. Nwagang Choden’, now in her avatar as the ‘Duty Manager’, being a Sunday. She let me know that ‘Do not Disturb’ sign was on, that is the reason the room was undone. On asking, did she not notice that I stepped out this morning or for that matter, why did she not call me to ascertain whether the ‘Housekeeping’ could make up the room? That said, I checked from within, if the DND sign was lit. It wasn’t, while outside it was indeed showing DND.

The Technician spent as hour trying to address the problem and finally decided, it would be easier to replace the switch indoors. 09th June was also the ‘Swearing-in Ceremony’ of the Modi Govt and Ind-Pak match at New York. The Technician was required to keep the door open for the entire time and my plan to watch both these events were dashed.

Rather furious, I came to the Front Office and asked to be connected with Ms. Karma Choki, the only person who I felt was worth my while. Ms. Nwagang Choden would not let me connect saying it is her day off. Finally, I did manage to speak to Ms. Karma. She readily agreed to come down and sort out my problems which, also included going sleepless for 02 nights because of the lumpy mattress. Ms. Karma came over in short order and arranged for a mattress that was hard when I found it too hard, she offered to turn over the ‘bonner spring’ mattress that was less foamy and arranged for firm pillows. That night, I practically drank myself to sleep.

On 10th June, the day I was to check out, as I came down for breakfast; I requested the GM, a Mr. Nitin Gupta, to join me for coffee so that I could give him my personal feedback. He joined after quite a while and let me know that he was trying to ascertain the reason for the meeting and has in fact, got to know all the details. He was all platitudes. Insisting that the Staff had the authority to do an automatic upgrade to ‘Junior Suite’, if the Deluxe Room was unavailable.

I had already booked the next 03 nights at Le Meridien River Front at Paro. To make amends, he wanted me to stay an extra night at zero cost at the ‘Royal Suite’ that Mr. Modi had stayed during his recent trip to Thimpu. As it transpired, it was not available being on repairs, a fact certainly known to him. He also offered to speak to his counterpart at Paro. In the same breath, he also let me know that he was hovering in the lobby the day I checked in and had instructed the Director of Sales to accept payment through UPI.

Having acceded to his requested, in the evening while I was having drinks at the restaurant; he joined me and had quite a few drinks with me as well. As I checked out the next morning, a big surprise was awaiting. I was billed extra for the ‘Junior Suite’ and the best part, even the drinks that he had, was billed to me! The ‘room’ and ‘extras’ Invoices are annexed herewith. The payment was now done through UPI.

It is said that everyone rises to the level of their incompetency. The GM, Mr. Nitin Gupta; the Dir of Sales, Mr. Samir Soni and the Front Office manager, Ms. Ngawang Choden have surely risen to the level of their incompetency and needs to be weeded out. Can’t speak for the other positions but Le Meridien, Thimpu would be lucky to have Ms. Karma Choki as their Front Office Manager!

When one finds a rotten apple, the rot is usually at the core!!!

PS – The above notwithstanding, the Staff were outstanding without exception and did everything possible in their power to make me feel very welcome. On 11th June, as I checked out, the ‘Chefs’ came out and insisted that I take a picture with them. That too is annexed!!
Date of stay: June 2024
Room Tip: Please wait for the GM, the Dir of Sales and the Front Office Manager to be replaced before you...
Trip type: Travelled with friends
AU$947
  • Booking.com
0.7 km from Le Meridien Thimphu
View more hotels in Thimphu
All reviews front office dinner buffet visit bhutan excellent hospitality rooms are spacious indian food comfortable stay latitude dem lm chef heart gym country happiness conference kingdom
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 June 2024

Late evening was a special day for me . I was there with my friends for dinner which was already paid in advance Needless to say the least we were expecting was a good spread - what was promised ag the time of making Payment . To our horror it was a set menu which was 25%of a buffet menu . When we started protesting the restaurant manager suggested they we take Ala Carte but the dishes like broccoli which we wanted was not available/ purposely not made available .

Goodness served after an hour . Starters were served after main course . Main course was served in instalments one dish coming 15 mins after another .

They were reluctant to serve desserts after taking full money / payment in advance . 2 desserts were given which was pathetic/ awful to say the least .

Service was very ordinary as a hotel function was going on one level below and there was only 1 lady to serve us which was taking time . We wanted to finish early dinner and went at 8 pm / but was served at 915 pm

The hotel should have the courtesy to inform guests in advance about change in dinner plans / compensate guests for non service when they charge so so much .

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Le Meridien Thimphu, Marketing at Le Meridien Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2024

Dear Laxmi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your recent visit. Your concerns are very important to us, and we deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations.

We are taking immediate steps to address these issues with our team to ensure this does not happen again. Please know that we value your feedback and will work hard to improve our service.

Best regards,

Chhimi Tamang
Marketing Coordinator
chhimi.tamang@lemeridien.com

Reviewed 8 June 2024 via mobile

The hotel is located in the heart of town not as magical as their river front hotel location in Paro, but the rooms and service make up for all that.

The rooms are comfortable, spotless and nice. The staff is excellent. They are efficient, friendly and courteous and attentive. The food is great too.

The fitness centre is small and the pool is down yet another level which we didn’t go down to but I’m sure it’ll have its view.

The central location allows for easy walks through the town should one wish to. All in all a really nice and pleasant stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Ravi,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our rooms, service, and central location. Your kind words about our staff and food mean a lot to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Chhimi Tamang
Marketing coordinator
chhimi.tamang@lemeridien.com/ 02337788

Reviewed 14 May 2024 via mobile

Very nice and friendly place . All the staff are helpful and polite . Every one of them
goes out of the way to make our stay memorable . Special mention for always smiling Ms Karma at the reception ,Mona and Pema at the restaurant . The menu was full of variety, even for vegetarians like us . Altogether a nice ,neat and well managed place .

Date of stay: May 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 418asthaj
Le Meridien Thimphu, Marketing at Le Meridien Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2024

Dear Asthaj,

Thank you for your thoughtful message. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and appreciate your kind words about our staff, especially Ms. Karma, Mona, and Pema. We're glad you enjoyed the variety in our menu. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 9 May 2024 via mobile

Excellent place
Location is central
Market and all points of interest are close to the hotel
Staff is courteous and friendly
Thanks to Deki and kezang

Date of stay: May 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank wanderer101079

Dear Wanderer,

Thank you for your wonderful message. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central location, amenities, and courteous staff, especially Deki and Kezang. Your kind words about our team and recommendations mean a lot to us. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed 28 April 2024

We have been treated like royalty from the moment we stepped into the hotel..one of the best experiences we have ever had. A special shout out to Yountan T Lhendup , the food and beverage manger .. who made sure no request of ours was left unattended. Girls…at the restaurant, bar and reception….you made our stay super special.Younten, Amrita,Kuzang,Deki,Pema, Tenzin andTshering yangzom…thank you for your attention to detail and your beautiful smiles.God bless . The hotel… cleanliness.. food.. location…all a hundred percent.

Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Navigate,

Thank you for your fabulous message. We're overjoyed to hear that you felt like royalty during your stay with us. Your kind words about Yountan T Lhendup, Amrita, Kuzang, Deki, Pema, Tenzin, and Tshering Yangzom are truly appreciated. We're glad you enjoyed our cleanliness, food, and location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. God bless!