Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Sharon
Toronto, Canada

Out of this world

Review of Amankora
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Oct 2019
Incredible property, set in a wooded area. Our room was absolutely beautiful with an inviting deep tub and wood burning stove. The food was very nice. The staff were very kind and generous. We were even blessed by a monk as we departed.
Date of stay: October 2019
  • Prestigia.com
  • Vio.com
110.3 km from Amankora
Free parking
The Willows Hotel on Chang Lam, Thimphu.
AU$97
    AU$919
    AU$923
109.8 km from Amankora
View more hotels in Thimphu
All reviews aman resorts bhutan architecture kinley karma
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2019

The international airport is at Paro so your guide for your whole stay will come to pick you up. My first night was at Thimphu lodge. It's about an hour and a half away from Paro airport. The rooms are adequately good sized. In lieu of a couch, a built in window banquet is there for gazing out the window. There is a large double vanity area where they pump heat throughout the day which makes washing hands nice and toasty every time. One thing to note is that the bathroom is wide open to rest of the room thus if you are shy, you can request folding screens to gain privacy. There is one large tub for soaking as well as in room fireplace to fragrant the room when you burn wood at night for warmth. With that said, there is central air to warm the room thus fireplace is really more for atmosphere.

There is a central courtyard at this lodge. This is the place where you can watch traditional Bhutanese dance. I have to say the dance numbers are absolutely mesmerizing. Again, Aman excels at bringing cultural experience to your front door.

The food at this Aman lodge was very good. I would say the pastry was definitely the highlight. There is only one central restaurant for this lodge and it's actually quite grand. Amankora had someone playing a Bhutanese traditional instrument while I ate (similar to the time when Amanbagh had someone playing flute when I was eating).

The gift shop here is quite nice. There is a large selection of high quality items you can buy for remembrance of your trip. The decision at these Aman shops always come down to what can I fit in my luggage!

The spa is probably the weakest point in this lodge. It is in the basement of the lodge and feels a bit like an after thought in terms of space and decor.

For my Amankora Paro review, you can click on my profile which should list all reviews I post on TripAdvisor or you can go to my blog which I have a more detailed description of my stay plus a short video of a Bhutanese dance at Amankora.

Date of stay: February 2019
3  Thank kevinh73
Reviewed 18 July 2019

This is our first lodge of our Amankora journey and it has a great location. It stood in the carnivorous forests and the rooms are beautifu. However, the food are really small potions so you should not worry to order more. The dance they did was cool, so don't miss that out. Other than that, there arent much to do. Do not go to the Royal Botanical Garden because the sandflies are no good. They bit my child and my husband on the leg and it took a long time to cure. My husband was allergic and ended up having to go to a local Clinique.

Room tip: All rooms are the same
Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank fagitChen
Reviewed 13 July 2019

Hotel is very quiet and peaceful, which was perfect after a day and half of traveling from east coast of USA. The food was very good and the choices (Bhutanese and Western) was great for the family.

Really enjoyed the hikes and the visit to the center of Thimphu (not that city of thimphu is anything great), but our guide Tara, was fantastic and seemed to understand our level of interest in different things.

Look forward to returning someday.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank nobaytraveler
Reviewed 15 June 2019

We arrived into Paro to be met by our driver and guide who then drove us straight to Thimpu to begin our adventure.
The lodge is set amidst a pine forest, really tranquil and peaceful.
After refreshing ourselves, we set off immediately to explore this beautiful country.
We were not disappointed. Lots to see and do and never failed to be impressed by the magnificent scenery.
Lodge was clean and comfortable. Overlooked the inner courtyard. The food was impressive and the menu varied.

Room tip: We had room 1
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2019

I travelled to Bhutan in February of this year, 2019. We arranged to stay at the Amankora chain of lodges. Each of these locations was pure magic. The location in Thimphu was an unbelievable start to our trip. The lodge is set in a perfect and idyllic setting. It is set amongst a beautiful forest. A small creek runs near that you can hear at night. We were warmly greeted by our Amankora guide and driver at the airport in Paro. First of all these were great people to show us their beautiful friendly country. The lodge rooms were large and luxurious. There is a stove in the room for a nice fire. It is a fantastic room. All the Amankora properties have great spa facilities. I had a fantastic massage the night we arrived. The lodge also set up a chance to speak with a Budhist monk the first evening. This was so enlightening. I am not a Budhist but this was very spiritual and meaningful to me. What a great treat. The meals are included at all the Amankora properites. The food was also fantastic. You could have local cuisine or western. Every thing was delicious. They would pretty much make anything you wished if they had it on hand. The staff was all amazing. I could not envision a better way to start this magical journey. I was travelling with a lady friend that I have had a long platonic relationship with as a travel buddy, however for those travelling as a couple, this is one of the most romantic places I have ever stayed at. I cannot stress how wonderful all of the Amankora properties are.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Roccodenver
AmankoraBhutan, General Manager at Amankora, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2019

Dear Roccodenver,

Kuzuzangpo la and thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of your experience at Amankora Thimphu specifically, but also of your high praise of our 5 lodges across the Kingdom of Bhutan.

We also love the secluded forest setting of our lodge, removed from Thimphu city. The traditional Bukhari stoves really are perfect, especially at this time of year. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the talk by Mynak Trulku Rinpoche, especially as a basis for understanding Buddhism for your journey through the Kingdom.

We hope you enjoyed our other lodges just as much, and that we have a chance to welcome you back sometime in the future. There is always so much more to explore and experience.

All the very best from Thimphu,

Tashi Delek,