Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tenzinlhasa(Tibetanstravel)
Tibet, China

supper luxury hotel in thimphu of Bhutan

Review of Amankora
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Feb 2019
it is a super luxury hotel in bhutan ,the high quality service with amenity facilite hotel in Thimphu of Bhutan . and a clean envinroment ,,really offer a confortable condition special the location is much better
Date of stay: December 2018
AmankoraBhutan, General Manager at Amankora, responded to this review
Responded 11 Feb 2019
Dear Tenzinlhasa,

Kuzuzangpo la and thank you for taking the time to write your review of your experience at Amankora Thimphu.

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and tranquil location!

Hopefully we do have a chance to welcome you back to Thimphu, or are other 4 lodges in Bhutan.

AU$226
  • ZenHotels.com
    AU$933
109.7 km from Amankora
View more hotels in Thimphu
All reviews aman resorts bhutan architecture kinley karma
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 January 2019

From what I understand from the wonderful staff, this hotel is 12 years old. It has that wonderful spartan, zen feel that Aman resorts are known for. Our room was large and very comfortable except for regulating the temperature. The bathroom, and toilet area need upgrading. You could not take a shower without getting your head wet and there was no heat in the little toilet room. The restaurant was wonderful and the staff warm and helpful. Just needs some upgrades as newer hotels start opening in Thimphu.

Date of stay: December 2018
1  Thank Louise L
AmankoraBhutan, General Manager at Amankora, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2019

Dear Louise L,

I will be passing on your wonderful praise to all of our team, as it really does motivate them. Many have been with us since the beginning. Thank you also for your feedback on the bathroom, I will be discussing this with our engineering team to see where improvements can be made!

Hopefully we do have a chance to welcome you back to Thimphu, and hopefully our other lodges in Paro, Punakha, Gangtey & Bumthang too.

Reviewed 27 November 2018 via mobile

You couldn’t pay me write something negative about Amankora Thimphu. This place was perfection - it spoils you for any other resort in Bhutan. Here’s an example: I thought it would be fun to try archery. Within fifteen minutes, the hotel arranged for a private instructor and a staff member who stood by me with the requisite wine and accoutrements used while shooting. The evening lecture by a Monk was fascinating.

The food was outstanding, and it was possible to get a Bhutanese menu. The resort is beautifully designed and the rooms are huge and well appointed (although I know of my wife would have been with me she would have preferred a little privacy in the bathroom which was open to the rest of the suite.

I’d return in a second. I stayed in some really fine resorts in Bhutan, but this place set the bar really high. And the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
JohnReedAmankora, General Manager at Amankora, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2018

Dear NantucketJoe,

Kuzuzangpo la and thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Amankora Thimphu. It's a real pleasure to hear such high praise from you & your wife.

The archery is lots of fun and I'm glad you found time to try out the national sport. I will pass on the compliments to the instructor and to the chef for the work him and his team did during your stay.

Hopefully we do have a chance to welcome you back to Thimphu, and hopefully our other lodges in Paro, Punakha, Gangtey & Bumthang. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 15 November 2018

Travellers in Bhutan should not necessarily expect the same quality of food on offer in 5 star hotels elsewhere. Having said that, we stayed in various hotels (not just Aman) during our stay and found the food at Amankora Thimphu a little disappointing - with the exception of a very good breakfast offering. The resort is impressive in appearance (with the typical monumental style of a Kerry Hill designed hotel) but could be more comfortable. We did not like the open bathroom concept of the rooms and found much of the furniture uncomfortable (architects should not necessarily design furniture in my opinion). Having made these criticisms, the hotel still ranks as very good because of the amazing staff - well trained, delightful and genuinely interested in the comfort of their guests).

Date of stay: November 2018
1  Thank baliboy_10
Reviewed 29 October 2018

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Bhutan. We spent 9 nights staying at 4 different Amankora lodges. All were wonderful. We loved the 'Amankora Family' concept - made the whole experience appear seamless. Service across all the properties was exceptional - the staff could not have tried harder to make our stay in each property a memorable one. Particular praise should be given to housekeeping who were so unobtrusively efficient.
We loved the fact that the bedrooms across the lodges were the same style and set up. Lighting is atmospheric but generally not bright enough.
We adored our guide Tara - he made our trip so interesting and memorable. He looked after us so well and held my hand to support me most of the way down from Tigers Nest as I have a dodgy knee. He was brilliant.

Every property had something to make it special. All the settings were stunning, creating an aura of calm both inside and out. I have to agree with other reviews though that the food at Thimpu was our least favourite. It was tasty but it seems rather sad to have Thai or western food on offer rather than some local dishes. We loved evening when local Bhutanese dancers and ladies sang traditional songs in front of a blazing fire on the terrace. Very memorable.
Staying at Amankora is not cheap but we thought it was worth every penny! Just loved it!

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Our first Aman experience, and I guess we were expecting more. Stayed at three Amans in Bhutan, each is unique and reviewing them separately. First – the room – nice and spacious but barely lit. The shower had no shelf for toiletries, so the options were either to put everything on the floor (yuck) or to step out of the shower with products on the tub and freeze. The lighting was so bad that I had to use a flashlight to ensure that I had emptied the room safe. The restaurant’s food has an emphasis on Thai cuisine, which we normally love, but we found this extremely bland. We wanted to try Ema Datshi, the typical Bhutanese chile cheese, but when we requested it, the employees seemed to have never heard of it. The staff was friendly and attentive, the bedding was comfortable. Had a great massage. Of our three stops in Bhutan, it seemed to us that Thimphu had the least to do – the paper factory and weaving stop weren’t our highlights. Great English speaking guides! Wonderful laundry service (included).

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JohnReedAmankora, General Manager at Amankora, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear chicagolover59,

Kuzuzangpo la again and thank you for taking the time to write about your stays at Amankora Paro & Thimphu.

Thank you for the positive feedback on our staff and our spa therapists, I will ensure that they receive these messages.

I am, however, saddened to hear that our food offering at Thimphu & Paro was not up to your expectation and the very high standards that we set ourselves. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, so I have provided my email below in case you wish to get in touch. Rest assured, I will be discussing this with our Executive Chef to find out where we fell short and how we can improve moving forward, at all of our lodges

As mentioned on the Punakha review, we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon, to experience our lodges in Gangtey & Bumthang!

Tashi Delek and safe travels,