“Bucket List Experience”

Bhutan Swallowtail Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bhutan Swallowtail Tours and Travels aims at providing tourists with special and privileged tours of the beautiful and exotic Land of the Peaceful Thunder Dragon. We take pride in being able to provide our tourist guests with off the beaten track experiences and the best that Bhutan has to offer.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had such a memorable and amazing time in Bhutan. We loved every second of our trip. Our guide Wangchuk and our driver Sonam were knowledgeable, considerate, attentive and enthusiastic. We were in Bhutan for nine days total and Swallowtail gave us a good itinerary balancing cultural experiences and enjoying nature and the outdoors. We interacted with locals, monks/nuns and families and had time to ourselves to take in the scenery and hike. Towards the end of our trip we did the Tiger’s Nest which is moderately difficult. Little did we know that our tour strategically prepared us by gently training us through our walks and short hikes in increasing difficulty over time to really take on our hike up there. The places we ate in were lovely and we especially loved eating in the farmhouses and have a new appreciation for home cooked food. We attended the Paro festival while dressed in traditional Bhutanese clothing and felt so welcomed by the locals! We were also fortunate to see the King himself during the festival and that felt surreal.

Bhutan was on our bucket list and we both felt that we gained more than we expected. As our animated conversations with our guide and driver taught us about Bhutan’s culture and infrastructure and we took in the landscape we felt physically strengthened, mentally peaceful and spiritually enlightened. Thank you, Swallowtail for making this all happen and more. We will forever hold our experience very close to our hearts.

All reviews
"say goodbye"
"his life"
"cooking class"

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Bhutan! Our guide, Nima, and driver Jinka (sp?) took very good care of us. Both were excellent and showed us their country and guided us to colorful festivals and interesting temples...and the icing on the cake was the trek to Tiger's Nest. Even though we had some difficulty trekking, they were a big help to us and encouraged us every step of the way! (we would highly recommend taking the horses for the first hour of the trek-saved us alot of climbing!) We appreciate all they did to make our trip memorable and enjoyable!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I had a wonderful time in this truly special country. Bhutan Swallow Tours are a great company, that I'd definitely recommend. We had a professional driver, that made us feel safe on the treacherous mountain roads. And our guide, Nima (Wangda), was professional, helpful, kind, polite, and beyond considerate. I traveled to Bhutan with my mum, and Nima went above and beyond the call of duty every day to make us feel comfortable and (as the Bhutanese are famous for) happy! I can safely say that he was one of the kindest people I've ever met and with a great sense of humour too! I miss him already!

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I would like to express my sincere thanks to Swallowtail Tours team for unforgetable 4 days I spent in Bhutan in March 2018. My guide Nima and driver/guide Phuntsho took very good care of me, making sure that I learn and experience the best cultural aspects of Bhutan, that I am comfortable during the rides we took daily and well rested when we were back to hotels. Thank you for being patient with me whenever I needed extra time to take photos/videos. I was given an answer to every question I had, and I was entertained with humorous remarks from my hosts during the trip. I especially enjoyed hot stone bath experience and local family dinner kindly arranged by Swallowtail Tours team.

Anyone who will book a tour with Swallowtail Tours (or any other tour operator in Bhutan) should be prepared that it may take up to 9 days (as it was in my case) to get a confirmation that your bank transfer payment was well received. It is because Bhutan's banking system is not well integrated into international financial systems, and payments are normally made trough intermediary banks in the US or Europe - it therefore takes a few days extra for a transfer to be processed. So no need to be worried when you don't get a confimation that your payment was received right away, I learnt that from my experience when the tour operator kept silent for a number of days and answered my email to clarify payment status only a few days later when the payment was received by them. Visa process may also take 2+ weeks. It took 20 days in my case, so I would suggest to plan/apply early.

2  Thank AdletR
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We visited Bhutan early March and Swallowtail were very helpful and responsive in organising a tour for us that covered the areas we were interested in visiting. Our guide Wangchuk and driver Ngawang were great, very fun and friendly, and with much to say about the places we visited, the culture, the people. On our trip we particularly enjoyed the Phobjika Valley (with extremely cosy Hotel Dewachen), our homestay and cooking evening with Pema at Aum Om near the Tiger's Nest, and of course the Tiger's Nest on our last day with a great hot stone bath at Dorji Dema's in the evening. If you are particular about where you stay do check your hotel bookings with Swallowtail on arrival as our bookings and the guide we were announced a few days earlier had changed. Swallowtail was helpful in rearranging our stays accordingly. Thanks to the team, and especially Wangchuk and Ngawang for allowing us to discover your beautiful country.

1  Thank MeMarc
Sonam D, Owner at Bhutan Swallowtail Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear MeMarc,

Thank you so much for taking out your time and writing this review. In the interest of the readers and the future travellers, we would like to add that, we send the list hotels and farm houses beforehand where you are given the options and to choose. We give our preferences and our best choices but the list is open to any other hotels in the category. Once the hotel is chosen, we then make the reservation and we rarely make changes and if ever there is any, we convey to our guests well in advance.

We are leading tour operator in Bhutan offering tailor made itinerary and being flexible even at the last minute. We were so happy to learn that you had a wonderful time after you have changed to the farm house from touristy hotel on the last day at the last minute.

Unfortunately, we are extremely sorry to change the guide as the one allocated to you got sick. We didn't get time to inform you as it was ultra last minute when he felt unwell. However we are happy that you had good things to say about the guide you got after replacement.

By the way, we are also very happy to learn that you had had a good time and we wish to see you again here in my country - the last kingdom in the himalayas!