New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Uganda - Borderless Travel - Spectacular!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Uganda

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Green Bay, WI
1 helpful vote
“Uganda - Borderless Travel - Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I was in Uganda for a week in May 2011. I worked with Peter from Border-Less Travel via e-mail in the months before my visit. He arranged for a visit to an orphanage in Kampala - Watoto. He also set up a road trip to Kibale Forest National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. He also arranged for a home stay in the village of Kabale. I left Uganda after falling in love with the people - especially the children, and the gorillas in Bwindi. I will definitely go back again next year and will once again use Peter to arrange my travels and volunteer work. He is so personable and flexible and has a great love of his country and his people. After traveling to 100 countries around the world, Uganda has made it to the top of my list. I often say - a succesful trip is a trip that I did not have to rearrange something because a reservation or activity went wrong - and Uganda went perfect - thanks to Peter and his driver Robert.
Carmen - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
borderless-travel.com

1 Thank CarmenGreenBay
Dubai
1 helpful vote
“Uganda - Borderless Travel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

We booked our 12 day trip through Border-less Travel with Peter. From the initial email everything went incredibly smoothly. Peter was not only helpful in the build up to the trip but also picked us up at the airport with our guide.

Peter was full of interesting information about Uganda and made sure we were 100% settled before he handed over to Eddie.

Eddie was then our driver/guide for the rest of the journey. We both agree that the best part of the trip was having Eddie as our guide. He was so helpful and always went out of his way to make sure we were happy. He seemed to be best friends with every guide and ranger in the parks and was always able to find us the best wildlife!

We can only recommend Border-less travel! They made our Uganda trip such an easy and memorable experience! http://borderless-travel.com/

Canada
309 helpful votes
“Rafting the source of the Nile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Uganda has the best of everything the continent has to offer, the highest mountain: the Mountains of the Moon. It is the source of the mighty Nile, and around Jinja (on main street in town you have one of the best Indian restaurant) where we had one of the best white-water rafting in the world.
There is a lot of primates, you can just sit there and have the chance to observe them. We skip the majestic mountain gorilla, at 500$ per person (not be sure to see one) It is over price for most of the backpackers.
The people give you a heart-warming hospitality, calling you in a friendly way «Mzungu!», meaning the white. They are truly some of the friendless on the continent.

Moscow, Russia
15 helpful votes
“The Pearl of Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

We had a few days to make a quick trip somewhere and thought about going to Africa again. We had gone to Kenya some years before and we had made a friend for ever, Andrew, so I contacted him to get advise for Uganda.

He introduced me to Martin and said: "Talk to him as if you were talking to myself" An so I did.

Martin and Ugandalastminute.com took care of all we needed since we landed at Entebbe Airport. Even before. They have already very good options but you can taylor-make them at your convenience. They will advice you professionally and will give you different options.

We spent the first and last night in Kampala due to flights, but the rest of the days we did not do anything but enjoying pure nature at its best.

Kibale forest is worth a visit. Long trekking but when you manage to find the chimps there are no sore muscles. The perfectly trained local rangers will explain anything you ask and will tell you about the flora and fauna. They will also brief at the start on what to do when you find the group of chimpanzees. Carefull with the safari ants!! They were the biggest danger we were exposed to during the entire trip, but you can avoid them by using long socks, long trousers and a good pair of boots.

The lodge was just in the National Park, just metres away from the beggining of the path to the chimps. They have hot water and electricity restrictions, but enough for anyone needs. Food is not gourmet, but who needs it! It was nice, healthy and abundant.

Queen Elisabeth National Park is an amazing park with some more luxurious lodges. Don't forget the Kazinga channel visit. Again, local rangers will take you through it and they will also explain everything along the way.

The best part of the trip was waiting for us at the end. Bwindi National Park is paradise. The lodge was just in front of the steep mountain we had to trek next day. I have to say I was scared when I saw it, but when we got to the departure point next morning, the ranger in charge talked to us about what we could expect, how it was going to be, the security and rescue team, etc, etc, and all my fears immediately vanished away.

Perfectly trained rangers and porters will guide you to find the family of gorillas. This is the kind of experience you cannot get many times in life. It is really steep, but only the view you get from up there is more than rewarding. And when you find the gorillas as close as you could never imagine, in the wild, you feel like an electric shock. Dirty, sweaty and tired but extremely happy, we could spend one hour observing a complete family of "gorillas in the mist". I felt as if only 10 minutes had passed but we cannot exhaust those gorgeous criatures.

We were very lucky because we found the family in a record 20 minutes. It normally takes a bit more. Go well rested and if possible, get a lodge close to the start of the tracking. The roads going up there are an absolute nightmare.

Although you can have some hours of what they call "African Massage" (horribly bumpy roads), generally speaking, main roads are fine, but be prepared for long rides. I would suggest, on time permitting, not to do in one go the Bwindi-Kampala trip. It is an absolutely exhausting 14 hours drive.

Anyway, I would do the trip again tomorrow even considering the VERY high price of the permits to see the chimps and gorillas.

Many thanks to Martin and Ugandalastminute to make our holidays!

1 Thank Sofialagrande
Heathmont
4 helpful votes
“Border-Less Travel with Peter Wamono”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have just returned from my first but hopefully not last visit to Uganda, with no small thanks to Peter from Border-less Travel (http://www.borderless-travel.com) for such an awesome experience.
Having travelled in the developing world previously, I was a bit hesitant about the level of 'comfort' I would need to sacrifice to really experience a part of Africa and especially her people.
Peter is the best host/guide you could ever ask for, giving of himself and showing just what typical Ugandan hospitality is like. From the outset of the trip, I was made to feel like a very honored guest in every place I stayed and never had to worry about a thing, as Peter's planning went so smoothly from one activity to the next. Whilst the entire trip was one new experience after another in quick sucession, with often long days on dusty and decrepit roads (they don't call this the pot-hole capital of the world for nothing!), at the end of the day there was always a welcome smile at my accommodation and a beautifully prepared meal.
The purpose of my trip was mainly to work on 2 building projects for the local people, one in a rural village (Bwagogo), and the other in Gulu. It was amazing working with the Ugandan people side by side getting to know them and see the curiosity from passers-by while they watched the buildings take shape. I was humbled to receive the thanks and sincere appreciation from the people, who seem so eager to show their enthusiasm and open up their hearts and homes to you.
My trip to the Nile and Murchison Falls National Park was spectacular, and the wildlife up close is unforgettable. Even a mediocre photographer such as I could not possibly fail to take some fantastic shots from the purpose-built vehicle which enables you to remain in safety (relative!) while enjoying the thrill of the search for the next exciting sight.
Peter's knowledge of all things local and abroad meant that he was always happy to be engaged in meaningful and informative discussion and making sure I was aware of the local customs and particular nuances of the people in order that no-one would be offended by an unintentional word or action on my part. He really was the bridge between my culture and his, appearing to effortlessly ensure a highly satisfactory experience for locals and visitors alike.
I could not imagine visiting Uganda again without Peter's assistance and competence and would highly recommend Border-Less Travel to everyone contemplating even the shortest stay in this beautiful and welcoming country.

4 Thank JenGunston

Been to Uganda? Share your experiences!