“great hotel, quality of food is deteriorating”

Le Louvre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 59 Hotels in Antananarivo
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The hotel is super nice! I especially like the small rooms on the first floor, there is no view, but the design is nice. However, the best part of the hotel is the wooden floor - no carpets = easy to clean, less dust, less allergy, and no asthma. I always found the rooms very clean, the sheets and the towels super white! The pillows are soft, the bed is comfy. The internet is free and always working (wired and wireless throughout the hotel). The swimming pool is relaxing, the water has the perfect temperature.
The staff is the friendliest I have ever encountered, always ready to help, always smiling! They instill a GREAT atmosphere in the hotel! There is one guy who can get anything for you: a phone card, a taxi, information... all you have to do is ask!
But, the food... oh... so bad! I don't know what happened: it seems to deteriorate with every stay I have. The bread in the morning was stale, the food at the buffet is dry (the creme, and the eggs), the fruit salad is soggy... I can't find one item to recommend. A la carte was good, but now they changed the menu... If it improves, is by far the best place to stay in Tana.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel 17-19 March 2012.
Choose this hotel based on reviews Tripadisor.
For sure a good choice, nice location close to the Presidential palace ( which you are not allowed to photograph).
I had a room on the first floor, overlooking the street. Advantage is a small balcony.
Buffets are ok, but nothing special as such, but fair in comparance to the price. Otherwise go for " a la carte".
very nice is the indoor pool as well as SPA, where I enjoyed a nice massage, very nicely prized as well.
Pool officially opens at 09.00 hours AM, but the friendly reception staff ( special compliment for Sarah), did open the door to the pool for me upon my request, at an earlier hour.
In that respect, 09.00 hours is a bit late...so perhaps management can reconsider same anyway.
Do bring slippers though, same are not provided with.Also for use in your room, the wooden floor as such is nice, but slippery of you walk on your socks. But this is a minor thing. Again, staff very friendly.
All in all my stay was that nice, that I changed my reservation in another hotel for later this week, to stay again in this hotel.
Mind; if you fancy a walk after dinner, do be prepared beggars will approach you. They are in that area due to the hotels present.

Room Tip: first floor will give you a balcony, at least if the room is located at the front of the hotel. A/C...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Algorab
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed here for a few days on business in late 2011. The hotel has been done up in the last few years and the main areas have a stylish modern feeling to them. Only some of the rooms have been refurbished - all of them are clean and comfortable, but the ones that have been done up feel more 4 star, with the older ones more 3 star. Theres a spa and swimming pool in the basement and a nice restaurant and bar on the ground floor. Staff are friendly and helpful, although service isn't always as fast as it could be. Its situated high up in Tana, its opposite a park filled with Jacaranda trees with a beautiful view of the city. This isn't a spectacular hotel, but if you're looking for somewhere safe, clean and well situated without being too expensive then its a good pick.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The hotel du Louvre is well situated in the centre of town. The Presidential Palace is at the end of the street and the long flight of steps leading down into the town centre is one minute away. There are a couple of banks and a post office nearby as well. It’s in the next door street to the Colbert.

I stayed there three times as I made my away around the country. The first time I had a superior room on the fourth floor. It had a rather hard bed, decent sized bathroom (inc hairdryer) with large bathtub, separate shower and loo. The room was a good size and had a little terrace off it. But the fittings and décor looked rather dated and cheap and the electric door card was very difficult to operate.

The second time I had a superior room on the first floor. The first floor has had a refurbishment and the rooms are much more modern and thankfully had a different door card mechanism! It had huge floor to ceiling windows with a large terrace, a massive flat screen TV, large armchair and windows looking into a large bathroom. The bathroom was reached down three slightly steep stairs and although the sink was large there wasn’t much space for toiletries nor was there a shaving mirror but there was a hairdryer. There was a tub (but with poor water pressure it took ages to fill), separate shower and loo. There was an upstairs mezzanine with a desk and a spare single bed which would do for a child. But please note that the staircase and upstairs room had no railing. There was a large terrace with several comfortable chairs and a table.

The last time I had another superior room on the first floor but it was smaller and with only a small shower room (which included a seat inside the shower). The room had the same flat screen TV with BBC World and lots of French channels. There was free wifi but you tended to need to re-key in the password which was rather tedious. All the rooms had safes but smallish cupboards so if you are a couple and intend to unpack you might have a problem! The room also had a small terrace with a table and a couple of chairs.

There was a decent choice for breakfast; fruit, meat, cheese, pastries and an egg station and a hot plate with cooked items. They had a good coffee machine and provided a choice of juices as well as several baguettes. I had lunch and dinner there and found the food was very good and good value compared to the other hotels around the country.

The reception staff were helpful and responded promptly to my emails. They provided transfers for me from the airport several times for twenty euros as well as a driver to take me to Ambohimanga and to show me around the town centre.

Room Tip: Choose a room on first floor but you may hear the band from the restaurant as they tend to have ente...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed in this hotel, on two different occasions in June 2011: on our first night in Madagascar, and on the last night before travelling back to another destination.

Here is our saga ...

First night: claustrophobic room. Toilet flushing was not working and constantly kept seeping water, meaning that we couldn't use our toilet.

Our last night: was a simple nightmare. A member of the staff ushered us to the room and 1hr after we discovered that he never gave us a card to access
the room.

When we phoned the reception to inform her that they forgot to give us our room key, she told us that they were running short of cards and that if we wanted to get in or out of the room we had to inform them every time and send someone in to help us.

The room lights were only on because the staff had previously stuffed layers of paper in the card holder. But the worse was yet to come ... I levelled up the bedcover to go to sleep and I was greeted with a white linen sheet studded with black curly body hair. A clear sign that whoever was supposed to clean our room, never bothered to wash the sheets.

Just sitting on the bed resulted in severe itcheness all over our body. We had to cover our bed with our personal clothing.

We have travelled through all the East coast of Madagascar and hopping from our hotel/resort to another. And this was by far the only horrible experience we met when it came to lodging.

It is such a pity, as Hotel du Louvre, has an outstanding decor at the reception that gives you the impression that this is a 4star hotel. Unfortunately when you enter the rooms, you find a less than a basic room, with poor furniture (chair in bedroom was literally broken).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JuliaFarrugia
dimitrilouvre, Manager at Le Louvre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

dear Madam.
(Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay at the Louvre in Antananarivo) We thank you for sending us the comment about your recent stay at the Louvre in Antananarivo.
It is comments like yours that can help us to improve the quality of our service.
Your remarks about the room was transmitted to the room service and housekeeping manager and we are investigating regarding the disturbance that you have encountered in your room.
For the room key, the machine used to encode the cards had a failure that day that it has pushed the desk to say that the stock was not enough, we apologize for the inconvenience.
We make daily efforts to provide quality service such as food served at the restaurant and the addition of the pool and spa to satisfy our customers despite the crisis that has lasted two and a half years.
A program of standardization is short of completion, and we expect to complete it late this year.
Thank you again for your cooperation.
Yours Faithfully