“Decent Italian, excessive priced”

Vitruvio Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 173 Restaurants in Luanda
Price range: USD 45 - USD 85
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

The food can range from average to pretty good. It scores quite high on service and class. You can even get a bottle of italian primitivo at a somewhat reasonable price, but overall the prices are far too much for what you get. As Italian goes, it might still be one of the best in the inner city though.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

I have been to Vitruvio many dozens of times and never had a bad meal or even an average one. It became by restaurant of choice in city while I was there.
The staff is friendly and competent and usually quite thoughtful. The menu is varied and there's a dish and a soup of the day you can ask for which don't show up on the menu. The chefs are also accommodating of uncomplicated special orders (like replacing certain ingredients on a dish).
Because of the vast array of pastas, it's one of the few places in Luanda where a vegetarian can have some choice of dishes, but I often asked for "codfish without the codfish" for a dish of stir fried vegetables and some chickpeas pure with dry tomato sauce.
Everything from the starters, to the dessert is made with excellent ingredients and the olive oil they bring to the table is infused with truffles.
The surroundings are well decorated and the place is usually neither too full or too empty, not too loud or too silent.
Finally, there's a vast offer of good wines, especially from the Portugal's Alentejo region and you can order some of them by the glass.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

One of the best Italian restaurants I have been, great for pasta and fish. Friendly staff and reasonable prices for Luanda's standards. I have been here several times with my baby and they have catered for his needs such as cooking without salt and providing highchair, as well as cleaning up the mess he usually makes!

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

Located in the Epic Sana Hotel, this Italian restaurant has great dishes and an excellent wine list. Prices follow Luanda standard. Neither more nor less. Pastas are fantastic. There are three restaurants in Epic Sana Hotel but, as far as I concern, this is the best.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

We visited Vitruvio for my birthday with my wife.

We were seated and offered menus by very friendly but not overbearing waiters. We were then brought some excellent home made bread with some charcuterie and cheese and had some balsamic vinegar and olive oil poured for us which complemented the bread and meats nicely.

The menu is pricy but then, so is everything in Angola. I ordered the grouper carpaccio and my wife ordered the cod fish croquettes. The carpaccio was beautiful and fresh, not overwhelmed with oil and dressing with a lightly seasoned tomato salad which enhanced the carpaccio well. Unfortunately, I can't comment about my wife's cod fish as I am not a fan of this.

For my main course, I ordered the sirloin with a rocket and Parmesan salad. The lightness of the salad went well with the meat which I dressed with a little black pepper and olive oil. I need to complain at this juncture. Angolan chefs really need to age their meat as the sirloin was tough even though it was ordered medium. I have found the problem in other restaurants.
My wife had the saltimbocca with wet polenta which strangely came with a cream based sauce with isn't really traditional but it was enjoyable. The meat was a bit more tender and the cream sauce never really overwhelmed the meat.

We never had desserts but we're brought a lovely chocolate birthday cake and some excellent sparkling wine as a birthday gift. The cake was moist with a wonderful and rich chocolate mousse which wasn't too rich or sweet and made with a decent chocolate which so many restaurants skimp out one.

All in all, we had a wonderful evening and kudos to the friendly restaurant staff and restaurant manager.