“Being in the nature”
Review of Suyan Camp

Suyan Camp
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Suyan Camp
Lusaka, Zambia
“Being in the nature”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I wrote about our fantastic trip in TZ related to Green Footprint Adventures (Planet Africa Safaris now) and I promised some pictures of Sayari and Suyan camp, where we spent 2-2 nights. We had so nice staying and such a great holiday, that we decided to go with them again this winter, but perhaps somewhere else, to explore more... Going back to Suyan and Sayari camps, we had a real Africa feeling, but with luxurious circomstances. Huge tents with separated toilet/bathroom, flushing toilet in the middle of savanna(!)-in a very creative way, full service, very good chef. We even had a night-drive, which was absolutely exciting! We were in the middle of the nowhere only with few others, but it was of course safe, and we had quite some guards during the night, so don't be affraid of wild life! Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katje

Families
Solo
Business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2009

My wife and I spent two nights here while on safari. The management and service at the camp were excellent.

We really liked our tent. We felt the floor plan was better than at the sister property Olakira Camp, whose tents are supposedly newer. The tent at Suyan had access to the back changing area from both sides of the bed, as well as a canvas divider for the toilet area.

The views of the land surrounding the camp were amazing. This was really the main feature here, because the migration had not yet reached this region while we were there. That could have been due to less-than-usual amount of rain. But I get the feeling this is typical for the location, which is why the camp promotes their walking and night safaris. I also heard that they are trying to move to a new location within the Serengeti National Park for this time of year.

Although we were disappointed in the lack of wildlife, we enjoyed being able to go out for walks after spending most of our trip indoors or in a vehicle. Our walking safari guide took us to rock paintings dated at least 500 years old, and we also visited a Maasi village. Other activities included night drives and a sunset drive to the top of a hill with fascinating views.

The food was pretty good. Dinners were fun, as all guests sat at one large table, which made it easy to socialize and find out about the experiences of others. Coffee was served to our tent each morning at the time we requested the previous night.

I'm glad we stayed here in the middle of our safari. Arriving at Suyan after spending a few days in a safari vehicle was ideal. It's probably not the best place to end a safari though due to the lack of wildlife.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 1 November 2008

The Suyan camp was our 2nd camp stay on our 8 day Tanzanian safari. We had just come from a stay in Oliver's Camp in Tarangire NP and then 2 nights at Plantation Lodge and arrived in Suyan camp for 1 nights stay. Although we were only here for 1 night we had the chance to do a 3:00 pm safari game drive in the Serengeti nearby for 3 hours. We saw the usual game of vultures, zebras, buffalo and mongooses but nothing out of the ordinary. Unfortunately it had just finished raining for 8 hours the day before our arrival and the ground was very wet and muddy and perhaps the animals were not out much. The Suyan driver/guide was Esto and I must say not as good as the one we had in southern tanzania in the 4 days prior to our arrival. Upon our arrival to the camp, I had asked Esto about their night drives as the tour agent had told me this was possible to do here at Suyan and is a good way to maybe see the elusive Wild Dogs. Esto's reply was a somber comment that we'd only see bushbabies and one other animal (not the wild dog) leading us to not bother as he didn't recommend it. Maybe he was just anxious to return home to his family after 2 months in the bush but his attitude was not what we would have liked to see. Esto ate meals with our group of 4 guests and didn't say much. He didn't have the ability to generate conversation as well as other guides and managers we had met thus far. This left us feeling less connected to this camp. The tent and food and service from the staff was good and we had a nice time. Can't blame the camp for our weather, can we? In hindsight, I would have left this camp out and stay at our next camp Sayari for 3 instead of 2.

• Disliked — the quality & enthusiasm of the guides
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Barblovestotravel
Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We stayed at Suyan for 3 nights while it was based at Loliondo (Soit Sambu). Quite simply this is the best place I have *EVER* stayed at. I travel a lot (with work and family) and this place was almost beyond words. Everything about the camp was truly amazing.

Starting with the tent, this was the best one we had from several camp lodges we used on safari. It was bigger, brighter, more comfortable and a really nice place to be. The bed was huge. You get more water (for showers etc) than other camps. I could go on.....

The food was also amazing. Meals were mainly communal starting with drinks and snacks around the campfire. We had 3 courses of amazing food, all prepared on site in the camp kitchen (which you can visit and help out in!). My wife was ill one night due to malaria tablets and they brought her fresh fruit in bed and couldn't do enough for her. They also surprised us with a private dinner in our tent one night.

The guides were excellent too. Some are fully trained experienced guys, some are local Maasai guys currently training to be guides. We had Alex and Nathoo and they were superb. The walking safari and night time safari were brilliant. Simon (the camp manager) was also a great guy.

Finally, all the above it merely a report. The bit we can't really get into words is the overall feeling of having stayed in a place like this. I could use italics, capital letters, everything and I still don't think I could convey in print what a really, truly amazing place this camp is. Think of the best tents, food, guides, people etc you could - put them all in the same camp and add something special and that's Suyan. When we left the whole staff came out to line up for a goodbye and it was a very emotional moment. That did it and my wife actually cried at leaving. Who would have thought you could be so sad to leave a 'hotel'? That's what this place does to you.

If I could beg, steal or borrow the money I'd be back tomorrow.

• Liked — Everything. The overall quality.
  • Disliked — nothing. I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Wales
Reviewed 10 November 2007

Very good camp well organised with an experienced host/manager.

The food was consistently excellent and the level of personal focus was very high as I am a vegeterian and one of my daughters has a dairy allergy .

The tents were comfortable and well furnished and the staff very attentive.

The only gripe was our guide was poor compared to other camps and to be fair he didn't seem typical of the other guides employed by the camp

Stayed October 2007