““Panda Kilimanjaro” - Kilimanjaro trek via Machame route”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My son, daughter and I returned from climbing the highest mountain of Africa ‘Mt Kilimanjaro ‘a couple of weeks ago via Machame route. Panda Kilimanjaro was highly recommended to us by our friends and nothing seemed less from our expectation. The Panda Guides were amazing and the whole Crew was so very polite, friendly and showed faultless manners, and undertook each task with a smile on their faces.

Unlike to my kids, my only fear was; shall I manage to reach the summit in 6 days as we didn’t train much preparing for the altitude but we real did it in exact time. The mountain views were stunning and the night sky was more stars than sky! Surprisingly in spite of the sun rays beating the Uhuru Peak, its ice never seems melting as one could imagine; this was real amazing.

This was an experience of a life time and anyone who really likes hiking, breath taking scenery, climate change and wonderful experience in altitude challenge must hike Kilimanjaro. Thanks David and your team for the wonderful organization. Heart-fully if you are looking for a local guiding company, that offers an incredible services and reliable options at reasonable and realistic prices, so then I would strongly recommend Panda Kilimanjaro.

1  Thank Herman L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,436)
All reviews
in 58 reviews
"karibu adventure"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This was an amazing Trek from start to finish with a great group of people.
We had every kind of weather - rain, snow, hail, wind, mist, sunshine, thunder & lightning. It poured down every night, which made toilet trips a major mission, but the 2 days it counted - the Barranco Wall ascent and Summit night were clear and perfect conditions.
Climbing in snow from the start of the summit ascent was magical - clear, starry skies, the lights of the headlamps of climbers ahead and the steady crunch of snow under our boots punctuating the culmination of the Trek.
Standing atop this majestic mountain was emotional.
Don't understimate the downward sections - gruelling on the knees - but as there was record snowfall this year, I did actually get to slide down most of the descent to basecamp (had a ball!).
I trained hard for this and am so glad that I did it when many thought I was slightly mad for attempting it at my age (60). The sense of achievement and the wonder of the natural beauty was worth all the blood, sweat and tears (okay maybe not blood......)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

After intensive googling and emailing and phone calling, I decided to go with the reviews on tripadvisor and book everything with "Sirikwa African Adventure", I am glad I followed the reviews.

First thing to mention is, ALL our checked luggages were delayed by two days, just in time to screw our climbing! Oinoth was able to help us out in renting/lending everything from thermo pants to trecking boots. This is the basis for our successful climbing. Thank you, Oinoth!

And also, the warning on internet is true: WEAR your trecking boots and jackets on board. They DO screw up checked-in luggages.

The 6 days kilimanjaro climbing via Marangu route was kind of a tough one, mainly due to the rapid increase altitude. Although taking altitude-sickness pills, two out of four of us showed a headache, as well as lost appetite. Needless to say, less rest and less food, plus intensive schedule, all became difficult.

On the plus side, the organization of the climbing by Sirikwa African Adventure crew, our guides, our cook Nick , Porters ,With all the encouraging and support,and pole pole slogan we finally made it to Uhuru peak at 9:50am, possibly the latest of the day:)

A bit of hint : The Kibo camp is a crowded and noisy place, with only limited water supply (all carried by porters from lower camps). So grab ANY CHANCE to sleep when you can, regardless of time. We planned to take a longer nap, rescheduled our dinner, however the noisy roomates and other climbers dinning right outside the room made it impossible to sleep at all. Needless to say, without proper rest, the final ascending just becomes more difficult.

Another thing to mention is that, despite the negative reviews on internet about how tour guides under-tip the porters, our crew was quite fair on this point. During the final tipping day, each porter stood in one line, and we got to tip each one of them (quite generously, indeed, after that much experienced, 50$ no longer seems that much to you...) .

Followed by the climbing we took a 3 days safari to Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro, and Tarangire. The driver Paul was very experienced, without whom we couldn't have been in time to watch the extra-rare black rhino. The cook, Isack, was also wonderful, even treated us a roasted beef special for my friend birthday.

The most special and hence unforgettable experience, however, was the last two days we spent at the orphanage as short-term volunteers. Oinoth, the director of Sirikwa African Adventure has devoted so much into the orphanage, we could see happiness on the faces of the children. If it's possible, we shall return, not only to safari in Serengeti, to climb Kili again in rain season, but also to spend more time with the children. They are the true future of this continent.

May we also suggest , if possible, plan a few extra days to spend at the orphanage: no payment, but will help a lot, as there is always loads of work with all the children there.

Thanks to all our crew, who jointly gave us the wonderful experience. And especially to Oinoth, who made it possible despite the delay of gears, and even kindly invited us to his place for late-hang around before the mid-night flight back.

2  Thank Tristan38
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but my experience trekking mt. Kilimanjaro with Karibu Adventure was so positive that I felt drive to write this one.
I traveled with a friends and chose lemosho route 8 days (6 days up and 2 days down) this was the best travel and trekking experience in my life... It was a very unique one.

My friends and I appoint Karibu Adventure and this route because :
Safety was the number one concern before submitting. My friend around mid fifty didn't want to risk any, and I have Altitude sickness symptoms... Doing research, my friends contacted many tour companies and asked a lot of safety questions, and Karibu Adventure was the only one that answered all questions and convinced us on the safety end.

Certainly, on my way to the top, I had a lots of critical issues my oxygen level dropping from 98% to 78% (normally going down if your oxygen drops below 75%) severe headache, nausea and vomiting, serious lack of sleep and appetite... I was ready to go down whenever my Karibu Adventure guides tell me to (yes ,I fully trusted them because I could tell they knew what they're doing). Anyway I did my best and didn't give up, and then my Karibu Adventure guides also did everything they could possibly do to bring me to the top - checking my pulse /oxygen etc more than two times per day.

One really cute and lovely thing was that all the porters in the camp knew that I was sick, and they always gave me words of care, encouragement, and help "kaka, Pole Pole, Hakuna Matata (brother go slowly, and don't worry) ", "kaka, how do you feel now? Please drink more, Kaka, try to eat more"...

Finally standing on top of mt Kilimanjaro, my friends and I burst into cries out of joy. I was so glad that I didn't give up on kil of course summiting is also very important lemosho route hike is good for acclimatization with over 98% summiting success rate..

Yup, that's it. This is a really quick review... Well, I hope that all of you could climb mt kil and also make it to uhuru peak. Contact Karibu Adventure and consult them whenever you choose to go with them or not.
anyway they are the best one! :) Good luck!

1  Thank Jarobin