“My best trekking experience with KARIBU ADVENTURE”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but my experience trekking mt. Kilimanjaro with Karibu Adventure was so positive that I felt drive to write this one.
I traveled with a friends and chose lemosho route 8 days (6 days up and 2 days down) this was the best travel and trekking experience in my life... It was a very unique one.

My friends and I appoint Karibu Adventure and this route because :
Safety was the number one concern before submitting. My friend around mid fifty didn't want to risk any, and I have Altitude sickness symptoms... Doing research, my friends contacted many tour companies and asked a lot of safety questions, and Karibu Adventure was the only one that answered all questions and convinced us on the safety end.

Certainly, on my way to the top, I had a lots of critical issues my oxygen level dropping from 98% to 78% (normally going down if your oxygen drops below 75%) severe headache, nausea and vomiting, serious lack of sleep and appetite... I was ready to go down whenever my Karibu Adventure guides tell me to (yes ,I fully trusted them because I could tell they knew what they're doing). Anyway I did my best and didn't give up, and then my Karibu Adventure guides also did everything they could possibly do to bring me to the top - checking my pulse /oxygen etc more than two times per day.

One really cute and lovely thing was that all the porters in the camp knew that I was sick, and they always gave me words of care, encouragement, and help "kaka, Pole Pole, Hakuna Matata (brother go slowly, and don't worry) ", "kaka, how do you feel now? Please drink more, Kaka, try to eat more"...

Finally standing on top of mt Kilimanjaro, my friends and I burst into cries out of joy. I was so glad that I didn't give up on kil of course summiting is also very important lemosho route hike is good for acclimatization with over 98% summiting success rate..

Yup, that's it. This is a really quick review... Well, I hope that all of you could climb mt kil and also make it to uhuru peak. Contact Karibu Adventure and consult them whenever you choose to go with them or not.
anyway they are the best one! :) Good luck!

1  Thank Jarobin
Write a ReviewReviews (3,576)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"sleeping bag"
in 142 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I hike mount Kilimanjaro with a group of 3people,This Local Company team were well organized efficient and effective and greater funny throughout the entire trekking.I really struggle to reach at the summit due altitude sickness but Serac Adventure guide,assistant guide and porters patiently supported me to make slow and eventually reach to the summit,we real enjoyed our time there the team were kind and professional throughout,the food was excellent and the porters were good funny with their singing and dancing.I realy highly recommend Serac Adventure to climbing mount Kilimanjaro

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We organised to climb Mt Kilimanjaro with Goodluck and his Hantaexpedition team after hearing great things from a friend who had done so the previous year. We chose Hanta as travel company. This was a very good choice - we were amazed by the level of attention and care we were given - five star meals each night, comfy bedding, friendly staff, they always prioritized a tent position away from the crowds and with a stellar view - it was more than enough luxury for us!

our three guides - looked after us every step of the way. With fascinating knowledge of the different landscapes we were walking through and a willingness to share their personal stories, I feel that we each made new friends on our hike up.

It was a wonderful walk up. We took the Lemosho route - the longest path up and were able to enjoy stunning scenery and a great view of the peak of Mt Kilimanjaro form various angles - definitely a good way to go to ensure you maximize time to acclimatize

.We were a family of six members, which was the perfect size. We were also all of a very similar speed. This made for easy days and walking with plenty of time for laughter and cards at the end of the day.

Much Thanks to the Hanta expedition team - what an amazing adventure we had!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Together with my parents I climbed the Uhuru peak on December 21, 2017 and it was worth trying though it was super tough and cold during the night of a climb.
Kilimanjaro is an amazing place - you will pass all climatic zones, have chance to meet incredible people, discover your own fears and feel your dreams.
I can recommend Altezza travel if you are looking for a company to organize your climb.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018

For more years than I can remember, my father and I had a dream of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. A recommendation about Tusker from a friend, plus online and in-print reviews, led us to select Tusker Trail, which ended up being, quite simply, the best decision we made about the entire trip.

Tusker made everything easy to plan and arrange from day one that we got in touch with them. Everything about our trip's itinerary was communicated to us in a professional manner. Additionally, Tusker's 'tips' and guidelines for planning to climb Kilimanjaro were superb, and as a result, we wanted for nothing once we were in Africa.

Upon arrival to Kilimanjaro, we were met by our driver, and settled into our hotel. After having traveled about 24 hours to get to Africa, we were a bit tired, but our pleasant driver (Peter), nice accommodations (The Parkview Inn) and pre-arranged dinner awaiting us helped us to settle in quickly. Peter returned the next morning to take us to pick up our race bibs for the Kilimanjaro half marathon, and ended up taking us on a tour of the race route and Moshi...completely unexpected and truly appreciated.

The next day, we went on the one day safari to Arusha National Park, which I highly recommend for anyone who does not have the time for a longer safari. Juma, our driver and guide this day, was fantastic--he clearly knew where all of the animals at Arusha like to be, and we were not disappointed--seeing loads of giraffes, water buffalo, a hippo, dikdiks, waterbucks, warthogs, zebras, many different birds etc. I hope one day to go on a more extensive safari, but Arusha was an extremely pleasant excursion and a very well-run trip.

We then ran the Kilimanjaro half marathon the next day. Peter, the Tusker driver, actually picked us up and drove us to and from the race start/finish. I was planning on walking to the race (about 2 miles), and we truly appreciated his help in getting us around, and saving our legs a little bit more for the climb! Peter even cheered for us in the race--he is truly a jolly man and I appreciated his willingness to help make things easy for us.

Finally, we reached the day before the climb began. Our Tusker guides, Shabane and Stanford, met us at our hotel and did an extensive orientation and gear-check. I highly recommend really heeding Tusker's guidelines and advice pre-trip, because doing so made this part very easy because we were well-prepared.

The next day, we began our climb on the Machame Route. I was immediately even more impressed with Tusker. At Machame Gate, it was clear that not all guide companies take porter welfare as seriously as Tusker does. All of the Tusker crew (porters, cooks etc) had proper footwear and other gear...I saw porters for other companies that desperately needed better boots and warmer clothes throughout the climb, which made me extremely uncomfortable. What I can say is: that is not the case with any of the Tusker crew. I am a nurse whose nature is to look out for others, and for our entire climb, the entire Tusker crew was properly outfitted, and struck me as genuinely happy to be working, as evidenced by joyful singing and chatter around the camp and on the trail. Crew/porter welfare should matter to every climber on Kilimanjaro, but if you are like me, and really want to make sure your entire crew is properly treated, go with Tusker.

Additionally, the Tusker guides all have high altitude medical responder training, that most other guides on the mountain do not have. This manifests itself as two medical checks (including sp02) per day, and pretty constant assessment of the clients by the guides. A medical porter even stayed right with us during the entire climb, carrying the high altitude decompression chamber and other medical gear. We heeded Tusker's advice, and took our diamox and stayed hydrated, so we had no issues with altitude. I did bring all of the recommended medications on the trip, and recommend that any climber do so-it is always better to have it and not need it versus need it and not have it, as I saw several climbers with other companies discovering throughout the climb.

Tusker's camp each night on the mountain was remarkable. I am in awe of the porters who carry the loads and set up camp each day. Tusker's toilet tent was a true luxury, and trust me...it will make your climb better. The food that our chef Bruno prepared for each meal was wonderful--nutritious and filling. Tusker's famous 'fajitas at 15,000ft' was the most memorable meal of my life.

The Machame Route was spectacular each day, and our guides, Shabane and Stanford, knew every inch of it. These two men are a large part of the reason that we successfully reached the summit--their knowledge of the mountain, and implementation of 'pole pole' led us to success. They are true leaders--they know when to push, when to comfort, and when to encourage. I will never forget them.

Truly, I struggle to describe how incredible our Kilimanjaro experience was with Tusker. From what I observed on the mountain, they are simply the best company to climb Kilimanjaro with, and if you are going to go through the effort to reach 19,341 ft, I cannot emphasize enough that you will want to do it with the very best--Tusker Trail.

6  Thank Mary L