“Great experience with African Love Birds Adventure LTD.”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 3 June 2016

Made the top during raining season through Cokecola route, luckily we chose this one, otherwise I don't believe we can suffer the cold, rain and high altitude. I also very thanks to my all the way guides from African Love Birds Adventure LTD., they not only take care of me, but encourage me to persist.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,272)
All reviews
in 102 reviews
"day safari"
in 192 reviews

Reviewed 1 June 2016

We opted to pay a little more and climb with Destination Tanzania (Detasa).

We were completely happy we did.

We also opted to travel near the end of the rainy season - to avoid the crowds. This also turned out to be the right decision. The mountain was very clean, the camp ground empty.

We had two truly wonderful guides in Mhina and Ari. Mhina made us feel incredibly comfortable with his knowledge of the mountain and emergency medicine. He was kind enough to go without gloves when we summited, and my daughter found herself exhausted and without warm enough gloves. Ari was also a delight, his kindness radiated through. He too was quick to leaned a hand when we found ourselves exhausted. He offered up jokes and words of encouragement at exactly the right moment. We changed our route, after a mountain ranger - tracked us down and warned against rock slides. This was handled in an absolutely professional manner by both Mhina and Ari. They did their upmost to fully understand what had transpired, kept us informed and involved in the decision making process. When the decision was make, I was completely confident about our teams safety and the alternate plans. Both men took their time to point out interest wildlife and plants. These two men will never be forgotten.

I would also like to make a call out to a couple of other individuals.
Ayubu was charming an made me feel incredibly safe on the crazy roads, I found myself looking forward to seeing him again at the end of our climb.

Samani was a master in the kitchen tent. If anyone had told me it was possible to eat that well on the mountain I wouldn't have believed them. Everything was simply delicious. He was did a fantastic job accommodating my daughters vegetarianism. What is almost as important is the laughter that emanated from his kitchen tent...it truly was a wonderful way to start the day to sound of him and his men laughing.

Christopher - what a kind, wonderful man. He also went out of him way to make sure we were comfortable and pampered. He would hum softly and smile often as he worked, causing us all to be grateful to have met him.

The crew...the porters were quick with a smile and always willing to offer up encouragement. On our last morning when we recognized their efforts with a well-deserved tip they clapped and then broke out into song and we danced...it was a joyful moment. They seemed genuinely happy to be there and without exception polite and kind.

I was surrounded by great people which made for a great trip.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

I climbed Kilimanjaro with a different company back in 2011 and left disappointed (for numerous reasons I won't go into). For my second climb that myself and my husband completed early May, I was looking for a better experience but wasn't prepared to pay the higher cost of many operators given the overall expense of our 3 week vacation to Africa. Team Kilimanjaro was hands down the most recommended climbing company so I decided to contact David from Team Kili and see what he could do for us. From the beginning working with David was fantastic. Given our approximate budget he recommended Team Masai, the lower cost sister company to Team Kilimanjaro. In reviewing the Team Masai offerings, I found them no different than those provided by the high cost operator I climbed with the first time with the exception of a few luxuries (and they truly are luxuries - non essential things like a personal portable toilet, a full mess tent, etc.). We booked the Umbwe route with Team Masai and excitedly waited for our vacation to start. Between the time of booking and all the way up to meeting with our guide, David was exceptional. He answered every question thoroughly and promptly, gave me links to review gear they provided as rental options (when I was considering renting vs buying certain things like a warmer sleeping bag and sleeping mat) and kept me updated and informed as we got closer to the departure date. By the time we left Calgary I felt as prepared as I could for this adventure. Upon arrival in Kilimanjaro, our airport transfer was waiting for us - a lovely man that drove us to the Outpost Lodge (another gem I should review on here - LOVE that place, so much better than the higher price hotel I stayed in on my prior climb). The day before the climb we met with George, our guide, and the next day we were off. If I were to review the whole climb this review would be pages long so I'll try and target the highlights. The umbwe route earns it's reputation as the hardest route on Kili. It is immensely difficult to get to (the roads up to the gate are an experience) but our driver was excellent. Upon starting the trek I began to feel light headed (I think it was the heat) and right off the bat Athmani (our assistant guide) took my pack to help me. While this wasn't a great start to my climb, my head cleared but Athmani and George continued to help me as needed (and even when I didn't think I needed it - they're wonderful) for the rest of the journey. The food was plentiful and delicious and both the cook and the porters went above and beyond to make us happy and healthy.We had all the comforts we needed - the tent and our gear were dry (as it rained the entire time until we climbed to above the clouds), we had hot water for washing, etc. The majority of our climb was difficult but generally uneventful (which is what you want!). George, Athmani and the porters were full of humour and laughter and we felt very much a part of a team. Summitting on this climb was very much a challenge for me. On my previous climb I turned back at Stella point (for a number of reasons, both because I felt ill and because my previous guide had decided we should leave for the summit at 2pm bringing us to Stella point, and the summit, well after dark, around 10pm. It was very cold and I was very tired and ill so we turned back). Knowing this, George and Athmani had expressed to me in the previous days that they would get me to the summit no matter what and they were true to their word. Athmani unfortunately couldn't join us as one of the porters took very ill with HAPE and HACE on the summit day and had to be escorted down. The cook, Tito, took his place and it was thanks to him and my husband (and George of course) that I made it to Uhuru Peak at 9am on the summit morning. In the interest of wrapping this up, I just want to stay that this team went ABOVE AND BEYOND to help me reach my goal and they did it without complaint. Team Kilimanjaro is wonderful. Team Masai is wonderful. George and Athmani and their support team are wonderful (you have to request this team - they really are top notch). The whole experience was WONDERFUL! If you have any questions or want to discuss more please feel free to contact me!

3  Thank Robyn H
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Did 8 day climb (lemoshe route) with Exodus Travel Company (African Walking tours) in Nov 2015. Was tough but very enjoyable and well-organised - I would recommend the company. Lemoshe had excellent views - great variety in landscapes. Climbing in Oct/Nov brings its own challenges - not as crowded but more rain. Rained every day - got soaked and very hard to dry clothes in these conditions plus the higher up the mountain you go the colder and more damp it got - so was pretty cold and wet for the last 3 days in particular! However - was a great experience all-round and summit day was incredible.

Really important the people you climb with. Our group was very positive and we made a pact not to entertain negative thoughts or to moan - it really was a big help as some other groups we met in the campsites each evening seemed to get very downbeat and from what we could see viewed the climb as some kind of a ordeal! You will be tired, hungry, sore and cold at several points during the trip but you have to remind yourself that its a once-in-a-lifetime (for most of us) trip so it's best make the most of it. There were some great movements such as seeing Uhuru peak come into view through the clouds for the first time and the amazing african night sky!

Top Tips: Bring lots of toilet roll (the company brings some but not enough - our group was practically run out of it by end!!) and have a waterproof cover for your day backpack as it will more than likely rain at some stage on the mountain and your bag will not dry out - as happened to me!!