“simply the best customer care I have ever experienced”

Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro
Ranked #1 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on and off for a total of around 50 nights. The service from when you arrive , reception , restaurants and the guest services team ( for whom no quest is too much) is unrivalled. Dar is a tricky city with bad electricity service , an active mosquito population and uncertain quality of food and water: This hotel overcomes all of these to provide 5 star standards a match for any world destination. The quality of the rooms , excellent bed , sensitive a/c provides an excellent restful sleep. There are 3 different restaurant choices with the chefs ( who interact freely with guests getting feedback on the meal choices) providing an extensive, innovative range sure to meet all palates. For me the well equipped, spacious gym and the 25m pool overlooking Dar harbour are my most utilised facilities. This is also a hotel with excellent social space,a feature most hotels ignore, for example the Lobby Lounge and the spectacular Level 8 bar work really well in letting guests mingle informally while enjoying unique settings and again that great service. The hotel is located downtown which restricts options at nightime , but with all that is going on indoors that never bothered me. This is certainly not the cheapest hotel but trust me spend the extra money you wont regret it !

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank happysafari
Fawizz, eCommer & Web Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2010

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My Name is Fawwad Mahmud and I am the eCommerce and Web Coordinator for Kempinski Hotels in Tanzania.

Thank you for your very warm and generous appreciation of the services at the Kilimanjaro Hotel Kempinski.

I have conveyed to the management and team members of the hotel, who will undoubtedly be elated to receive your feedback

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future to Kilimanjaro Hotel Kempinski.

Kind regards
Fawwad H Mahmud
eCommerce & Web Coordinator

Reviewed 21 December 2009

Note: this review is coloured by the fact that the night I stayed, Busta Rhymes, the notorious rapper was staying.

Arriving after a long, hectic day including a dash to the airport and my colleagues missing their flight due to Kenya Airways incompetence, I arrived at the Kempinski looking for an oasis in the centre of Dar Es Salaam. What I found was a large number of ladies in totteringly-high heels and skirts that barely covered their behinds hanging around the lobby, the ominous thump-thump of deep bass, and the front desk in disarray. A guest was berating them for the fact he couldn't sleep, presumaby due to Mr Rhymes turning part of the hotel into his own private nightclub...

Entering the lift to go up to my room the noise got louder - it was obviously coming from the top floors of the hotel. Thump, thump.... thump thump, repeat ad nauseam. It could still be heard from my room, despite aircon and double glazing. Noise aside, the room was pleasant enough for the money, although the bed was rock hard and the internet access was not free, a nickel-and-dime attitude when you are paying $250+ a night. The noise continued for most the night, Mr Rhymes only going out to play his gig about 2am apparently.

Anyway, thankfully next morning he checked out, but the attitude of the staff to other guests who were having to put up with the noise and the circus surrounding a third-rate "musician" was not an edifying spectacle.

Breakfast was plentiful and good quality, although like in most of these places the waiting staff insist on serving you coffee (rather than letting you serve yourself), and the coffee server is nowhere to be seen when you actually want coffee. In the two mornings I had breakfast there they also had the annoying habit of directing me, a single business traveller, to the most exposed, unfriendly, table in the middle of the restaurant right by the thoroughfare for the buffett. I had other ideas and moved to a more suitable location where I could eat breakfast and watch the world go by, rather than be watched.

Service in the cafe next to the lobby was particularly slow, so much so that ordering a lunchtime sandwich, and still not having had it turn up 40 minutes later, I had to ask for it "to go" to eat in the car to make my next meeting...

The rest of the hotel could be described as "meh" - good enough for the money, but certainly nothing more.

Anyway, if you've got the money to spend and insist on staying in a brand-name, five star place in Dar, then the Kempinski will fit the bill while blowing a suitably large hole in your wallet. However for $250 a night in a third-world country where a third of the population live on less than a dollar a day, I'd expect a bit more wow, and a bit better service.

3  Thank LandyLover
Reviewed 17 December 2009

First up, there is no doubt this is the nicest hotel in Dar Es Salaam. It is a standard above the other alternatives in this category (such as the Movenpick).

The rooms are very nice. The facilities are excellent. Most of the staff are helpful and friendly.

However, the service at the front desk is absolutely apalling. The management dont seem to care about any problems that you may have.

On more than one occasion I have had a major problem with the internet access. Before, the Kilimanjaro provided free internet, and has recently started charging for access.

I have no problem with paying for access, but its a big con. You have the choice of either a 4 hour pass, or a 24 hour pass. Yet, you never get 24 hours access if you take the latter. On multiple occasions I was cut off hours before the 24 hours was up.

I compained about this on multiple occasions and didnt seem to make much headway towards a resolution. Even having stern words with a manager did not seem to have an impact.

What seems to be the tactic of the hotel when you discover this problem is to offer you a free pass for 4 hours. Okay fair enough, but I would rather have the access for 24 hours, which I paid for, than having to waste time going down to complain.

I dont understand why the hotel does this. Perhaps it has a variable cost internet service, and with people checking out of the hotel they can chance cutting people off early.

Regardless, it is not what I expect of a 5 star hotel, which trades off its reputation as a fine hotelier. At around $200 a night one expects more.

Also, having complained on more than one occasion, and trip, there seemed to be no improvement on the situation the last time I used this hotel.

So, on the surface the hotel is absolutely 5 stars, however underneath the surface it operates more like a 1 star in some respects. This is a great shame.

Due to its 5 star status, and cost, and the problems I have encountered, I deem it worthy of a terrible rating.

3  Thank rosscokenn
Fawizz, eCommer & Web Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My Name is Fawwad Mahmud and I am the eCommerce and Web Coordinator for Kempisnki Hotels in Tanzania.

We regularly monitor important web activities primarily to gauge customer feedback. I have seen your feedback and reported the Hotel Management.

We are sorry to learn that you are inconvenienced. We are sorry to learn that some of the facilities in the Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I have immediately brought your feedback to attention of our Hotel Manager and we are taking immediate action to ensure that this does not re-occur

Please let me know when you are planning visit next so that I can personally make the arrangements for you.

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience.

Kind regards
Fawwad H Mahmud
eCommerce & Web Coordinator

Reviewed 8 December 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights after having a conference meeting at a Beach hotel in the city. I decided to stay here before flying out just because I want to experience the hotel after pleasantly satisfied with the food and service when I dined here earlier. the hotel is as per european standards, reception staff were well spoken and attentive. the coffee shop at the ground level was good. punctual service, good food and excellent presentation. Rooms are moderately spacious, well appointed with good views of the harbor which is just across the road. the staff at the roof top bar (level8) was pleasing and warm. the view from the deck is just awesome especially in the evening. you will overall get a feel of safety, professionalism in all the areas of the hotel. the hotel has a casino as well. however we did not try the place. the conceirge helped us with our enquiries about some good eateries around. their suggestions about the dining places were just our preference. it is a great hotel, centrally located but pricey. a strong recommend for people travelling to dar es sallam. during my short visit to dar, i have tried couple of hotels and kempisnki seems to be the best of the lot.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Alabarus
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Great hotel with very attentive staff in all areas. Food and drink very good quality and reasonably priced. The Asian restaurant particularly good for quality and service. The lobby bar a bit suspect on service levels but otherwise ok.

I cannot fault the quality of the room. Spotlessly clean and well appointed. any issues (and there were almost none) were dealt with immediately.

If you can stretch the budget, this is the only place to stay in Dar. At the end of a long dusty safari, this is the treat you will have been longing for.