“Guards at the entrance not friendly”

Mbalamwezi Beach Club
Reviewed 9 January 2017

I've had a couple great nights out here at the Mbalamwezi Beach Club. And in general I like the place. However my most recent experience was very poor. I wanted to walk through the beach club in order to get to the actual beach because access to the beach is hard to come by. I asked politely to walk through and was treated very poorly by the guards who thought they owned the beach. They kept calling it a private beach. My understanding is that no company is allowed to own a part of the beach, or build any permanent structures on that beach, they have to be a certain distance away. And while I understand the beach club is their private property, I don't think asking to walk through to the beach is a crazy ask.

1  Thank Matthew H
"dj"
"mishkaki"
"bags"

Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

Entrance was a little weird. Apperently they needed to check and go through our all bags before we could enter.. Own smalle bottle of water not allowed and guards did not speak english at all. All of which did not make us feel very welcome at first.

We visited on friday, was pretty quiet. It was possible to sit in the shade on the beach, with a nice sea view!

Food was okay and reasonably priced. We had calamari and pepper steak. Fries above Tanzanian standard. Timing was not briliant: starter came at the same time as the main dish.

At the moment we wanted to pay, they just witheld 2000 Ts.. Probably as a tip or something.. well I think it is quite rude just to take money of someone. Maybe I would have given them a tip myself, but this was a real weird move.. Experienced this at another restaurant in Dar es Salaam as well, not really visitors-friendly..

Beach was really pretty, not dirty at all (compared to other beaches). It was fun looking at the peninsula and all the crabs being very very busy!

1  Thank robincampen
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

I was here on a Thursday which is supposedly the Karaoke Night, however the karaoke just lasted 10 minutes as there were very few people.
The location is right on a nice city beach, the structure is wide but essential, I guess the full moon parties are magical here!

The food was good and not expensive, and the service was also good but since the place wasn't crowded my experience may not be valid in general.

I'll try again in a crowded night!

1  Thank Sogril66
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

We sat for quite sometime without drinks. We later asked for the menu but they took so long that we decided to go eat elsewhere. Please don't waste your time coming here...