Review Highlights
Aside from Dar Traffic Starting Us Late, Great Day

We took an Investour today and had a great time! Unfortunately Dar traffic and a hotel mixup had us... read more

Reviewed 22 July 2017
danas378
via mobile
The best way to experience Dar es Salaam!

We took a group of 19 people through GOOD Travel to experience Dar es Salaam through Investours in... read more

Reviewed 12 March 2017
Eliza R
Wellington, New Zealand

All reviews local lunch business plan loan recipient wood school
Reviewed 15 June 2015 via mobile

We went on a tour in june 2015 (in Dar Es Salaam, there is also an office in Arusha) and totally enjoyed every minute of it. It gave us a great chance to both learn a lot about the Tanzanian people, economy and social welfare and at the same time be able to contribute to the people here. It seems a serious company and Peter who runs it and led our tour seemed so dedicated and knowledged about the social and economic questions in Tanzania.
During the tour you get to see a lot of the town so its also a bit of a sightseeingtrip.

We totally recommend it for anyone wanting a real insight to Tanzanian life and also to contribute to the people here!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank AmelieBa
Reviewed 20 May 2015

I love the concept behind Investours. I joined a group of our clients who added on an Investours to their longer Kilimanjaro climb and safari in Tanzania. The Investours activity enabled these visitors to get into the local communities in Arusha, to see real people doing their real work- it was a whole different (and welcome, non-touristy) view of Tanzania. And it is wonderful to know that the money you pay for the tour goes straight to the local entrepreneur. I hope one day to have a chance to go back and visit the woman we funded, to expand her restaurant.

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed 25 October 2014

We recently took 19 students from our school in Switzerland on an Investours tour and found it really interesting. Peter, James and Edward took us all to a plant nursery where our 3 groups visited 3 different women who ran small businesses there. We then split up to visit a hairdresser, tailor and food stall owner. Two of our groups found it easy to decide who to invest in whilst our third group were split on who to invest in. There were some interesting discussions over lunch.
Myself and my colleagues wholeheartedly recommend these worthwhile tours.

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed 26 September 2013

In May, I contacted Peter Millinga of Investours via email, and expressed interest in a tour prior to our safari which was to begin the beginning of September. Mr. Millinga was prompt in his response to the request and provided information pertaining to the tour and the organization.

Our group of four was picked upped at our hotel promptly at 10:30 A.M. by Aziza and driven to the Investours office where we huddled around a laptap and viewed a short presentation on the origin and goals of Investours. The money that we paid for the tour would be used for a 90 day interest free loan to one of the two possible applicants. We would have an opportunity to view the applicants business, learn of their goals and how the loan would enhance their business. Ample opportunity would be provided in which we could ask questions.

We were then driven to the first applicant a 60 year old lady who sold vegetables and charcoal out of her home. After approximately 30 minutes we got back in the car and met the second applicant a tailor who co-owned a two person shop with three treadle sewing machines.

After our second interview was completed we went to a local establishment for lunch. During lunch we had to decide which applicant should receive the loan. The recipient was than contacted and instructed to meet us at a financial institution where the loan papers could be completed. While the recipient was in transit we were able to walk to the Mwenge Woodcarver Market.

For the $75 per person that we paid, we were driven/escorted to parts of Dar Es Salaam that few tourist see. The traffic in the city is horrendous.

During our 5.5 hour tour I got a chance to learn what life and work is like in Dar Es Salaam. You appreciate how hard these people have to work to eek out a living. You have an opportunity to learn about the country of Tanzania, its government, its education system, and the various ethnic backgrounds that form the country. I hope the loan that our recipient receives help them achieve success. I do know that I had a very enlightening experience.

Date of experience: September 2013
2  Thank DePere
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I really think this organization has a great concept implementing tours while giving small loans to local businesses but I do think it could be managed a lot better. The tour itself didn't seem very organized and the local business owners we visited were very reluctant to talk to us. Our guides were college interns and were pretty friendly but I would've liked them to be a bit more informative because it seemed as though we were always having to dig for information. We also piled like 5 people into a tiny car on a very hot day. The so called presentation at the beginning was basically just six of us squeezing around a laptop while a woman shows some pictures. Despite that I think Investours is trying to do some good in Dar and I respect that. I really enjoyed going around to local businesses, places I never would've went on my own. You get a sense for how local tanzanians truly work and live in a thriving environment. So on the tour we talked to these local business owners and discussed with them what they plan on doing with the loan. It was very interesting to actually interact with the locals and our guides interpreted for us. We visited a woman who owns a wig/weave shop and we visited a tailor. When I say tailor it was literally a man sitting outside of an electronics shack at a sewing machine. We were a bit hesitant to eat at the restaurant they took us to for lunch as it was pretty dirty but I understand that this was a local restaurant so it allowed us to really immerse ourselves in local culture. Overall it was a really humbling experience and I definitely recommend it.

Date of experience: July 2013