Lowest prices for your stay
Snaptravel
Reserve now, pay at stay
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
FindHotel
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

The Hotel Mauritania is not anything like what we are used to staying at. It is in the old town Medina. The taxi had to drop us off about 2 blocks away, our taxi driver was great but had no idea how to find it. We had an uphill walk the whole way then had a long flight of stairs to get to the small lobby. We would not have found it if a couple local guides hadn’t helped us. There wasn’t even a sign with the Hotel’s name to be found anywhere (except maybe in Arabic, which I can’t read.) The tiny room was on the next floor up at the end of the very dark hall. The lights are on a timer so they come on if you hit the switch. When you come out of your room it is always dark. Our room was tiny, barely big enough for a double bed for my wife and I and a twin for our daughter. To be fair, the beds were the most comfortable we experienced while in Morocco. There was no heat or AC in the room - open your windows. The problem with that was that it was festival day/night so people were joyfully out celebrating most of the night. So it was roast or listen to the din. The up side is that this hotel is in the Medina so it is fun and has great access to shopping and restaurants. It has a nice view of the Medina and the harbor. The people were great - happy, friendly, and extremely helpful. Everyone in Morocco said over and over, “It is very safe here and you are now part of our family.” We believe both.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank PaulO620
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Better than a hostel, private bathroom, centrally located, cheap, nice staff, speak English/Spanish. My friend and I were in desperate need of a nice comfortable place with our own bathroom after coming back from doing the iron ore train experience in Mauritania. This place fit the bill exactly, great price per night and location. Not too noisy at night either. The beds are comfortable, rooms are small but if it’s just you or you’re with a friend it’s perfect. The man at the front desk who I think owns the place is very nice and speaks very good English and Spanish (I’m American and speak English and some Spanish). Definitely worth it if you’re a young traveler like myself, I’m not a huge fan of Tangier but if I come back I’ll stay here again. It’s also super close to the water.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2018

I am sitting in my hotel room as I write this review.
First off, this hotel is in Petit Socco, so you can expect it to be noisy at night and, of course, there is the morning prayer over the loud speaker. These are the only "negatives" about this hotel. The location is where the action is, the Petit Socco is a really interesting part of town and you are in the heart of it! My room (number 1) is the ONLY room with wifi in it, they clearly say that wifi is only available in the lobby, so as I drift to sleep streaming a movie I am completely comfortable in bed!
The toilet had a slight smell last night, so I closed the bathroom door, no problem and today no smell at all. The shower is hot and strong.
There is no food at the hotel, but just downstairs there are tons of choices of restaurants from sit down to street food, you can find it all.
The rooftop terrace is lovely, we came back to the hotel this afternoon for a roof top lunch, it was great.
The gentlemen at reception have been very friendly and helpful, giving us maps, directions, suggestions and ordering us a taxi to the bus station in the morning when we leave. Both of the men at reception spoke Arabic, French, English and Spanish (and probably more, but that's all I speak).
Yes, when you arrive here, you will have people asking to carry your bags, sell you stuff etc. This has nothing to do with the hotel and if you let a stranger on the street carry your stuff you are probably not the smartest person to begin with (see one of the negative reviews for reference), this is just Petit Socco, if you want a very quiet hotel, try one in a quiet part of town.
Great hotel, we booked for one night and stayed for two! If we come back here, this is the hotel we will stay in.
Thank you to all the staff here.

Room tip: only room 1 has wifi. This room is a bit small for two, bed you have to climb over to get to the balcony
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2018

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in Tangier, and it was very well-located on Petit Socco, so in the heart of the medina, not too far from the kasbah and with easy access to Grand Socco and Ville Nouvelle. Prior to staying there, I was able to get in contact through Facebook and obtained an email address for some queries. The response from the hotel didn't take long, unlike some other establishments. We had a room with a balcony which overlooked the square itself, so it was interesting to see the hustle and bustle around. The room was a good size, as was the toilet. The negatives are that as there is no heating, it was pretty cold, and the blankets in the wardrobe smelt like they haven't been washed recently. Wifi signal was also very poor/ non-existent in the room, so we had to use it at reception. There was no breakfast, though there are quite a few cafes around, so it wasn't an issue. We walked from the train station, which took us about 45 minutes, but it was a nice coastal walk, so it was OK. We discovered the rooftop view of the hotel on our last evening there, so went there early the next morning before we left to catch the sunrise on the medina - a most beautiful sight. It probably has one of the best views of the medina though doesn't seem to be advertised - Bourne Ultimatum fans might even think some of the views of the medina came from the rooftop! If the hotel could sort out the heating issue and wifi, it would be perfect! Would have given a GOOD rating if it existed and we wouldn't hesitate to return to Hotel Mauritania if we visit Tangier again!

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple days on Christmas. The staff was wonderful. The day before we arrived, the concierge reached out to me on what’s app to arrange a taxi for us from the airport. This was incredibly helpful as we were just starting to think about how we would do that.

The hotel is centrally located in Petit Socco and is a short walk from everything you’d want to see in the old Medina- the Kasbah, the Grand Socco, the Legation Museum, great restaurants like Rif Kebdani. It is very affordable and is frequented by both European and Moroccan tourists.

The room was very clean. We had a room in the back that was very quiet. Of all the hotels I stayed in on this trip, I slept best here.

The room was cold in December it is an older building without central heating. We asked for extra blankets which made us very warm and cozy. The hotel also had nice hot water, so the cold weather wasn’t too bad.

We left Tangier by ferry, and the hotel is only a 15 minute walk to the Tangier Ville ferry station. All in all this place is very convenient and affordable. The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. I highly recommend!

Date of stay: December 2017