See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at Hotel Splendid for about a week and a half in October. I recommend it to people who are looking for an inexpensive, centrally located place to stay in Rabat.

I stayed in two different rooms here. Both had an en suite bathroom. Both rooms were adequately sized and clean. I had to change rooms partway through my stay which was not a problem, except that the toilet seat in my new room looked dirty. I told the hotel staff that the toilet seat was dirty on my way out one morning and was told that it would be cleaned. When I got back to my room I noticed something amazing: the toilet seat had not been cleaned, but rather completely removed! I guess this was easier than cleaning it? In any case, this didn't really bother me and I found it kind of funny.

The hotel is located in downtown Rabat, just a couple of blocks from the medina, about a 5-8 minute walk to the Rabat Ville train station, and has lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants in its immediate vicinity. There is a room near the entrance to the hotel with free wifi for guests. My favorite part of the hotel is its large courtyard area. You can order food to eat in this courtyard from the restaurant across the street or simply relax at one of the tables.

For the price and location this is a good choice in Rabat.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JoeMizoSoup
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The hotel Splendid is located with in a 10-15 minute walk from the Rabat -Ville train station and the brand new tram! In the heart of a shopping district and located within a 5 minute walk of the Old Medina of Rabat - its a great location to launch your explorations of Rabat.

The hotel consists of two buildings housing rooms with a central courtyard in the middle which has a small garden and fountain.

The rooms are clean, basic and don't include ensuite toilets although there is a sink and a bidet. They also have a big wardrobe that you can store your clothing and gear.

Rooms in the main building lack electric sockets to charge electronics - so be sure to make use of the indoor salon that has an electric socket and free WiFi that has a strong connection.

There is no complimentary breakfast but next door and across the street as well as in the surrounding area has several places to grab a bite to eat. There is also a "hanut" aka corner store that sells bottled water and yogurt which can make a great breakfast or snack.

The staff is extremely helpful and friendly - I need to get some laundry detergent and they were able to give me good directions to a hanut that had some.

The staff speak fluent French, Moroccan Arabic and some English - so if your willing to put in a little effort - you are sure to communicate and get what you need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back building - they have the electric plugs and bring ear plugs - all the nice tile means the sound in the stairwells echo loudly.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank nomadnoor
Reviewed 23 October 2011

we opted to stay at the ' splendide ' since it got good reviews and seemed fairly affordable.their website advertizes a double room with bathroom for 180 DH though when we arrived we were told that the price had gone up to 230 DH ! what's more , the only rooms they had left had a shower but the toilets were shared - still,we were told the price was 230 . we decided to take a walk and check a few hotels around ,all of them were much more expensive for rooms that we not much better so we went back to the ' splendide ' and took the room without toilets. in the end,it wasn't much of a bother , we actually liked our room ,it was quite spacious,fairly clean and we like our balcony.
i did peek at the rooms with full bathrooms and they were really big with
hardwood floors , apparently ,they go quite fast and need to be reserved by phone or fax
( no internet reservation )
i agree that the location is ideal , 10 mn walk from the train station and the medina in a sunny side street.
if i find myself in rabat again,i will definitely head to that hotel because at the end of the day ,it was a pleasant place to stay and pretty good value .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mexicanbutterfly
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The room was spacious, much better than 2 alternatives who didn't even had showers. rooms are cleaned every day by cleaning staff. 5minutes away from the station, parliament and medina. very helpfull staff when my girl was ill. doctor arrived within 15min thanks to them...

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip to Morocco and returned when we passed Rabat on our way back. We liked the hotel because of the central location and the good value for money. Rooms are inexpensive, clean and spacious. Though during our first night we stayed in a room on the fourth floor, which was quite small. When we came back the week after, we stayed in a room on the first floor which seemed to be huge compared to the previous room. (Rates were exactly the same, so don't just accept a smaller room as they do have much larger ones on lower floors!)

Rabat is a lovely city, not as touristy as e.g. Meknes or Fes. The locals seemed really pleased by the tourists coming to Rabat without really bothering them (no hassle with taxi drivers or aggressive salesmen). That is why I'm still surprised that the reception staff of Hotel Splendid was not that friendly/hospitable. Overall, they didn't really seem to care that we were there. They appeared to be rather bothered by our questions (e.g. directions or towels that were missing).

Still, would definitely recommend this hotel, as you probably wouldn't stay here to befriend the hotel staff anyway. It's centrally located and as said: good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms on lower floors.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple