“Great Marrakech Riad - Great New Year's Eve Fiesta”
Review of Riad Dar Najat

Riad Dar Najat
Ranked #40 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 8 January 2011

This was my 2nd time visiting Riad Dar Najat, and it was even better this time around.

The hotel itself is just as beautiful with all of it's African decor and lush terrace, and all the familiar staff were still there. Olivier and his crew are still delivering top-notch service and atmosphere at a great price. It really is the "Coolest Riad in Marrakech". It's a great, little boutique hotel that is in a great location, only about a 5 minute walk from the Jemaa el Fna. It's a perfect choice for a romantic getaway, or couples retreat.

The music is always groovy, from classic reggae to more modern instrumental Arabic music and jazz, it really sets a cool tone. The terrace is still fantastic with all of its art and trees and plants. The food, breakfast, lunch and dinner was fantastic and served whenever it was asked for. Excellent service and friendly, multi-lingual staff.

The New Year's Eve Fiesta was absolutely great and the full house of guests had a great time with great, Gnawa musician and bellydancers. The food (and wine) was also amazing at the party. Beer and liquor was available too! Wow. Great party in a great place with great people. I didn't use the jazuzzi on the roof, but it sure looks good...

There is free wifi everywhere in the riad as well, including the rooms. What more could one ask for in accommodations?

I don't normally stay in the same place twice, but Riad Dar Najat is different. It's really a memorable small hotel, with memorable service and value. Thanks for everything Olivier and staff! Hopefully I will return yet again soon!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank spmm
Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed 7 January 2011

Well, it's real easy to describe Dar Najat - especially the owner who is probably one of the most accomodating people I have ever met, Mr. Olivier! He and I started corresponding over email and I believe we have a lot from what he told me. Olivier tried his level best to give me accomodations but since I was with a group it was taking me a bit long and he definitely gave many options, and very quickly - the guy never sleeps! In the end we couldn't stay there but he hosted a very nice dinner for my friends and I. Just amazing - try the royal couscous! It's HUGE! Olivier also went out of his way to help us planning my day tour to Essouria, what a pleasant day that was, and he also spent time with us there - which owner does that? He took the time to share his eyes with us, and it was wonderful! I thank you Olivier - and now we remain friends cross continents but all totally worth it. I would definitely recommend this place - his staff is wonderful, as is little brownie his dog, food is superb, place is class and fun! Located in a great area! It's a maze but after the first day you will figure it all out!

Oh and he knew it was a special occasion for us in Morocco and invited us for a meal at the riad, and made sure we were well taken care of. One thing for sure is that if you stay here, you will be taken care of every step of the way! There's no doubt about it, from travel assistance, to accomodation, to meeting and greeting you. Olivier and his team know what it means provide the best customer service possible!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank AS005
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful five-day trip to Marrakech. We stayed at Riad Dar Najad. The riad is very cozy and located in the very heart of the Medina itself, just a five min walk to the Jemma el Fna square. The service is excellent, everybody was so helpful at the hotel! We owe the staff a special thanks for being so flexibile with our acoommodation due to a last minute booking! The transfer to and from the aiport was included in the price and it was really useful.

We also booked the New Year's party at the Riad and enjoyed it so much! The owner of the hotel (who greeted us personally upon arrival and showed us around) was there with his family and the atmosphere was very firendly. Loads of food (and drinks), nice entertainment (two belly dancers and the traditional "gnawa" music), a lot of dancing and fun!

The rooms are very comfy and nicely decorated in traditional stye. Due to this particular last-minute arrangement, we stayed in three different rooms at the riad and can confirm they are all very nice! :-) It was very pleasant to chill out on the very beautiful roof terrace of the Riad. That's where the breakfast took place every morning. Breakfast deserves a special word of praise: it was absolutely delicious and so much food! Every morning we god smth different: pancakes, eggs, some traditional pancakes....always fresh orange juice and pastry, jam and butter. Absolutely yummy and such a good start for the day! Every evening there's a drink waiting for you on the terrace, including beer etc. One can also have dinner at the hotel, but inform the staff in the morning.

Otherwise, there's a couple of very nice restaurants in the neighbourhood (La Porte du Monde is 5 min away and offers very nice traditional food for very reasonable prices on a nice roof terrace). The hotel staff will also be happy to recommend any other restaurants or attractions (we booked a one day trip to the mountains, cost 70 EUR per couple, stops on the way in different traditional markets and villages, etc - enjoyed it a lot!). All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much and writing these lines I am already a bit sad to be back to winter...Thank you very much, guys!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZwarteKater
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Service was excellent! Nothing was too much trouble, everybody was made to feel very welcome and treated like long lost friends! Rooms were comfortable quirky and clean, the atmosphere was extremely relaxing or if you wanted to stroll to the market or out for dinner you were given you're personal guide. Very impressed.. Have recommended it to several friends who have been and others who are going in may. I will go back for sure.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Helene19
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I had not been to Marrakesh before but my daughter had been there a few months previously and persuaded my to do a side trip there on my latest Australia/UK commute. “Stay away from your boring hotels, Dad, and put up somewhere with a bit of local character and atmosphere”, she insisted…..

I picked Dar Najat pretty much at random (I think it was the highest-rated on Trip Advisor which had available rooms at the right time at a fair price) and stayed there for 3 nights in November 2011. Did it have atmosphere ? Oh yes, and it WAS “cool” ! Did it have local character? Definitely! – mainly in the form of the main man, owner and manager, the charming, energetic, and rather mysterious Oliver.

The riad is well-located. although it took me some time to get properly oriented and find the best way to the square and the souks – which were only about 5 minutes away down the fascinating laneways when I got it right. I could have asked, but sometimes it’s best to find your way the long way around! The building is of the traditional courtyard design and the (necessarily) narrow rooms are carefully and thoughtfully decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff (a real mix of characters) were really friendly, informal and attentive – constant smiles – and always kept an eye on my glass, coffee cup or plate. Up on the roof, where there’s a good choice of chairs, tables and lounges, very cool and eclectic music plays (Oliver was once a DJ) but is not intrusive and adds to the cruisy feel of the place.

I had only praise and no complaints about this informal riad and its engaging staff. Just as my daughter warned me in advance, a riad would not offer the ‘western-style”, predictable, impersonal hotel format and trimmings - so you don’t go there if you are looking for overnight room-service or a uniformed concierge. But you do go there if you want atmosphere, fun and a memorable stay in Marrakech, and definitely if you want to kick the boring business-style travel habit, as I did.

I certainly got the personal touch. Thanks, Oliver, for being so kind and inclusive to this sad, middle-aged man! I really appreciated your thoughtfulness and hospitality, and the personal lengths to which you went to ensure I was occupied and my visit was enjoyable. Thanks also for pointing me in the right direction for sights, shops and restaurants, not to mention just the most superb Hamam in Morocco – I could have gone there every day! Trying to keep up with you (and your wonderful dog), physically as well as mentally, as we chased around Marakech, dodging traffic and pausing only for the occasional coffee and (your) interesting conversation and observations, made the stay an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo