“A truly unique experience ...”

House of Fusion Marrakech
Ranked #276 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 17 February 2013

By pure chance we found ourselves sitting next to Edwina on the flight out to Marrakech - a very lucky coincidence (thanks easyJet).

During our conversations she told us something of Taofik - her husband, the House of Fusion, its location, the culinary school they run, the menu they offer and, as it turned out, importantly for us since we have a preference for the countryside and its people as opposed to cities and theirs, the allegedly truly unique tours they were able to offer which included a gastronomic experience.

Now, if you travel a lot you tend to hear all sorts of stories and may be forgiven for developing a certain cynicism with respect to some of them... so forgive me the 'allegedly' Edwina!

She is some salesperson.

By the end of the 3.5 hour flight we had agreed to join two of the House of Fusion's tours - one to a Berber village where we would join a family for the day and learn to prepare and cook a tangine and couscous in the traditional way; the second to explore another part of the Atlas mountains during which we would partake in a gourmet picnic.

Both tours were absolutely brilliant.

We're both ancient and Morocco was the 40th country we had visited together, so we've seen and experienced a lot - nevertheless, we quickly placed both tours well up there at the top of our 'most memorable list' - and the food (a) that we helped the wonderful Berber host family prepare on the first quickly helped overcome the pain of that one hour mule ride (as well as thought of the return journey); and (b) which was provided by Edwina and Taufik on the second, fully justified our faith in that Aussie/Moroccan union.

I guess you don't really need to be a 'good salesperson' when you've something truly different, and really good to offer!

I could go on about this for some words, but that might sound like me attempting to sell something, so I won't ...

Oh, I should however mention and also thank Mustapha Zeroual, our driver and part-time guide (he's not on 'Trip Advisor', so I can't add as much about him as I'd like- but if you do find yourself in Marrakech, in need of a driver/guide/companion, wanting to do something different - with or without the food relationship, try our Mustapha at mustaphacovi@hotmail.com . Please don't knock that bit out Trip Advisor, he really is worth a mention).

Bill

PS: We only visited the House of Fusion itself very briefly after our second trip, so can't say more about it that that it looked great, what we saw was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated and that it's location in the Medina is perfect if that is what you're looking for - and why shouldn't it be.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill F

Reviewed 11 January 2013

This review is a little belated (Sorry Edwina). We visited Marrakech in September 2012. My daughter and I did not stay at this Riad, however fortuitously happened to see their culinary school sign (House of Fusion) and enquired within. The Riad is gorgeous and beautifully decorated. Edwina and Taofouk welcomed us warmly and gave us loads of information regarding tours and cooking classes. In what seemed a blink of an eye, they had arranged a private tour for my daughter and I to visit the Atlas Mountains the very next day. We were escorted by Taofouk who along with his driver took us to the Atlas Mountains where we were met by locals who then took us by mule up the mountains to a small Berber community. We spent the day with these warm, happy and generous people, cooking tagines, baking bread and learning about their culture. This experience was so unique and unforgettable and has left us with a love for all things Moroccan. We felt like we were taking part in a documentary and I haven't stopped talking about it since!

We also took part in an all day extensive cooking class which we enjoyed immensely as well. So many courses, so much to learn and ever so much delicious food to eat afterwards! We went to the local markets to purchase the produce for the cooking class. That was a wonderful experience as I had to speak Arabic (which Taofoulk taught me earlier in the day) so that added to the experience. This was very much a hands-on class with so many things to learn. My love of Moroccan food has now become a little obsessive. Keeping up with Edwina's cooking skills was a challenge, however she is so much fun that you just get on with it and hope to remember as much as you can.

All in all, an amazing experience. Thank you Edwina and Taofouk. Hope to visit you again.

Anne and Mellanie

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AnneP1012
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed near HOF recently and were pleased we popped our heads in and made a dinner reservation. Not having to choose from a menu and being presented with amazing dishes that Edwina and her husband had spent all day preparing. Friendly team with a good atmosphere. We hope to return and stay at HOF soon.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I deliberately chose the HOF cooking class as its lasts the whole day and seemed more than just a demonstration. I was right! it was absolutely fantastic and a must do if you are looking for an actual class where you get to cook and are into your food and I mean into your food. I'm still wondering how we managed to cook such a lot of absolutely amazing food in the time given - I think we totalled 13 different dishes including the must-have Moroccan tea.

Edwina and her husband are lovely and so unbelievably welcoming. The arabic lesson set me up for the rest of my trip and the jaunt to the spice souks was great - you could spend ages wandering Marrakech trying to find the best herbs and spices at the best prices but getting them with Edwina and her friends means you don't have to worry about being mis-sold. It was amazing to cook all morning then sit down for an incredible lunch and then cook all afternoon. It really is a full day experience and one that I cannot recommend enough - and finishing it all off with a well earnt Mojito was also up there on my experiences in Morocco.

One thing I would recommend is if you are doing a long trip starting in Marrakech - do this first as the arabic learnt will really help on your travels. If you are only staying in Marrakech I would recommend doing it last before you leave - otherwise, the rest of the food you eat in Marrakech will pale in comparison to the things you have been cooking and eating at HOF, unless of course you decide to spend the rest of your time cooking with Edwina at the House of Fusion Marrakech! - something which I intend to do when I go back to Morocco.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My family and I took part in Edwina's "long-half day" cooking class at the reccomendation of a few friends. We are sure glad we took their advice beacuse we had an awesome experience. Upon arriving we all sat down to have coffee and tea to discuss the food we had enjoyed thus far on our trip and things we might want to learn to cook. We made a huge laundry list of amazing dishes that we would cook and then got a quick Arabic lesson so we could talk with the shop owners in the market to get our fresh ingredients ourselves. After our shopping which was a joy, we got back to the Riad and got to cooking! With our note books out that were provided we wrote down the recipes as we went along. Edwina really knows her stuff and the food we made was incredible! Some of the most flavorful food I've ever tasted and definitely some of the best in Morocco. When she reccommends the sardines...DO IT! You will be shocked at how tastey they are! I refused to eat them my whole life because in my mind they all come in a metal tin but these were fresh and to die for. Each dish had a presentation that made it all the better. Not only did it look like it was prepared by a 5 star restaurant but it tasted like it as well. My only regret is that I could not fit more into my stomach! As our time came to a close we spent nearly an hour just sitting and talking with Edwina and her husband. We really had a delightful time and when we said goodbye to Edwina, we felt like we were saying goodbye to a friend. If you take a cooking class in Marrakech, do so with Edwina!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family