“Charity Project with Authentic original food and henna”
Review of Henna Cafe

Henna Cafe
Ranked #7 of 148 Shopping in Marrakech
More attraction details
Owner description: The Henna Cafe in Marrakech is a Cultural Association registered in Morocco. It provides: A multi cultural meeting place; a community cafe; a henna salon which offers an educational henna experience to visitors; a gallery of art by local aspiring artists and runs a weekly kids club offering free creative activities to the children of the Bab Doukalla area of the city. All of the profits from the cafe and the henna experience are used to provide assistance in Marrakech in the form of free education and supportive projects. We currently run a full timetable of lessons and educate 300+ people per week. We also offer funds to support worthwhile projects in Morocco, Details of our recent charitable activity can be seen at our website Thank you to all of the conscious travellers who support real and positive change by choosing the one and only Henna Cafe Marrakech look for the bright and sunny orange signs and you will know you have found the perfect place for conscious , safe and natural henna. See you here x
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

We should really support this charity founded by people from the UK, Fabulous lunch in this hidden gem, outside the main souks just off dar al basha, henna swiftly and expertly done by Fatima and lasted for over a week. Don’t miss it!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"medina"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

I had a brilliant time here. The ladies here are very welcoming and accommodating. Once we finished our meal (which was marked as vegan) and tea I selected my henna and the ladies stayed behind to finish it as it was so complicated and we passed closing time. They wanted to make sure that everything was perfect. They only use organic henna. Everyday at 3pm they also teach Darja, which is the local dialect, however when I came the lady that taught it was off so Leila gave me my own private lesson and told me all about the many different people that make modern Morocco what it is today. I highly recommend this place as everyone is so wonderful.

1  Thank Danni T
Lucie H, Henna Cafe Charitable Foundation co-founder at Henna Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Hi Danni!
Thank you so much for the lovely review that you have given us. It is very helpful for people to know about the Darija language lessons that we offer as well as our expert henna artists and lovely food including vegan and vegetarian food offerings. I wish more people would do as you did and take advantage of our very very cheap language lessons as Leila, Haja, and our other teachers are really great and I think it costs around £2 for an hour 1:1 lesson usually. On request we also teach the Tamazight language as well as Moroccan arabic.
I do have to agree with you that our staff are pretty wonderful! We are able to facilitate many women taking managerial roles here which is a rare but great thing!

Do come and visit us again when you are next in town.
Best Wishes, Lucie

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Visited last week. Took a while to find it but well worth the searching. Food was excellent, tagines and hummus superb. My two daughters had tattoos which looked wonderful. They thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Lucie H, Henna Cafe Charitable Foundation Co-founder at Henna Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Hi Scot!
Thank you so much for your review and for visiting us with your daughters. I am very glad that you enjoyed our lovely wholesome but tasty food-I agree that the Tagines and the humus are especially nice. I also love the falafel and trio of salad especially tomato salad. I am glad your daughters liked their tattoos-it is such fun to do this as a family.

Thanks again and do come and visit us again when you are next back in town. Next time arrive around 2 or 3 and have a Moroccan arabic language lesson with your daughters-it is great fun!

Best Wishes,

Lucie

Reviewed 25 November 2017

I read great things about this cafe and opted to go here, bringing my sister along, over any other henna artist in the city. While my sister's henna ended up being good, mine was smudged while the artist was transferring me over to the drying area and then was half-way fixed after the fact. The older female artist noticed my distress over the messy areas and tried to fix them, but given that it has partially dried, the henna had already stained some. When I asked the owner whether the smudged areas would show he said yes, they would appear a bit messy. I then asked whether it could be fixed and he said that I could wash it off and try again. Not wanting to go through the 45 minute-long process over again, I asked if a slight discount could be taken given that the finished product was less than perfect, through no fault of my own.

He stated that no discount could ever be given and I could either wash it off and leave (the tint already having partially dyed my skin) or I could pay full price. He then, aleady defensive and angry, briefly spoke to the artist in Arabic, who told him that I had moved during the drying (several others there can attest that I did not). Contradicting his earlier statement, he went back and said that it would look just fine once I took it off, not messy at all. We left having paid full-price at a premium rate (given the reputation of the cafe), as I didn't want to further disturb other clients, for henna that was messy. The beauty of henna is that it's imperfect, but clean lines are desired in nearly any form of hand art. This is just shoddy work and poor business practice.

1  Thank Reagan T

Dear Reagan,
We are the Henna Cafe NOT the henna art cafe. I was very sorry to hear of your experience but I think your review is intended for the other cafe and NOT the Henna Cafe Charitable foundation. It is easy to get confused.
We are located in Dar El Basha and have orange and black colours.
We are a charitable and educational foundation and they are a business.
They have a male manager and we only employ women in managerial roles.
We do not move guests to a drying area as guests stay on the terrace usually for the whole experience.
Most importantly, if a guest ever had a problem we would be happy to either reduce or refund-we always want our lovely guests to be happy with their henna art. Sometimes messages get lost in translation and hopefully your poor treatment was due to this.

Unfortunately for us, people frequently get us mixed up (understandably)!
I would be very grateful if you could kindly remove this review and place it where it was intended.
Many thanks,
Lucie

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My partner and I visited the Henna Cafe after reading an article about the not-for-profit business. The cafe which comprises of an indoor area and a roof terrace helps fund the educational centre on the ground floor. Whilst at the cafe we had delicious food - the falafel and hummus really stood out. I also took the opportunity to get some henna and the beautiful design was applied expertly. The only reason I have given 4 stars rather than 5 is simply because whilst we were there two of the staff had a huge argument which resulted in a broom being broken and lots of sweating. As a result I was a little disappointed and am now doubting how professional this business really is.

Dear Molly,
I am glad that you were happy with our expertly designed henna art and the food which is indeed delicious. My favorite is also the falafel and hummus as well as the three salads. However, I must apologise for the inappropriate and dramatic-sounding kerfuffle between a staff member and a student (now excluded for a week following this outburst!) This is a very rare occurrence and I am very sorry that you had to witness this and hope it was just sweating! It was in the Berber language I believe at least.
We always try to be as professional as possible and this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable. The student in question was excluded from all classes for one week following this incident and the misunderstanding between the two individuals has now been resolved.
Apologies that you had to witness this. Do feel free to return and you will be served a free falafel and hummus to apologise for your unnecessary discomfort.
Best WIshes and thank you for your flatterring comments about our food and henna.

Best Wishes, Lucie